How do i log this contact

Yesterday i was fortunate to work steve G1INK ON DM-NW218 WHEN I LOG HIM INTO THE CHASER LOG WOULD HE BE DL/G1INK/P SORRY I KNOW ITS A SILLY QUESTION BUT CAN NOT GET MY BRAIN WORKING TODAY THANKS DAVE M3XIE

In reply to M3XIE-1:

DL/G1INK/P is correct.

Mark G0VOF

Dave,

Presumably you have the callsign he was using in your log from when you worked him?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Yes tom i worked steve from germany i just presumed he had to put DL IN FRONT BUT HE WAS JUST USING G1INK THATS WHY THE CONFUSTION

In reply to M3XIE-1:

If he wasn’t sending DL/G1INK then he wasn’t using the correct callsign and the contact was invalid.

That’s the rules for CEPT operation.

Andy
DL/MM0FMF/p

In reply to MM0FMF:

He was sending the correct callsign when I worked him both Yesterday & today, DL/G1INK/P.

Maybe Dave missed the DL when he worked Steve, the band was noisy.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

He was sending the correct callsign

I wouldn’t expect anything less of Steve.

Andy
DL/MM0FMF/p

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks every one the band was noisey i reckon i just missed the DL Many thanks dave M3xie

In reply to M3XIE-1:
DL/G1INK/P is correct. I think I have used this c/s for the 300 qso’s so far. Tnx for the call Dave. Boy it’s hard forcing down this 9th wheat beer on top of the zigeuner schnitzel. Out tomorrow with Mario DC7CCC hope for good conditions. 73 from GW0DSP’s eye phone.

In reply to G1INK:
Steve, you were just putting G1INK/P on the spots which has caused confusion to some !!

have fun

73 Graham G4JZF

In reply to G4JZF:

Steve, you were just putting G1INK/P on the spots which has caused
confusion to some !!

I have noticed lately that a great deal of confusion arises where two operators do a joint activation and change callsigns halfway through. It is clear that many chasers rely entirely upon the initial website “spot” to record the callsign and pay no attention to what the operator is actually sending on the air!

I listened for half an hour to a recent dual-operator activation on 40 metres, where the callsign changed at the half-way point. It was painfully obvious that at least half a dozen of the chasers thought they had worked the first callsign spotted, even though operator no. 2 was at great pains to emphasise that the callsign had changed. If these chasers subsequently checked the online database, they would be dismayed to discover that their contact is “not in log”!

This phenomenon is not unique to SOTA … it has been happening for years on the HF bands generally when DX-ers place far too much reliance on DX-Cluster spots to obtain the QSO details for their log and fail to listen properly to the station they think they have worked!

The fault is not with the activators; it is with the chasers who either do not pay attention to the activators’ transmitted details, or worse, cannot hear them at all.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
Don;t pull any punches walt hi i just did not here the DL/ but saying that i was at fault spoken many times to steve and he always gives his full call sign.Therefore i should have know better still no harm done i hope best 73s DAVE M3XIE

In reply to G3NYY:

This can be compounded by some activators who may do quite a string of contacts before giving a callsign!

Brian G8ADD

…and just what is the approved phonetic for “/” these days?

I’ve just spent a couple of weeks in Kenya, operating as 5Z4/M0LEP, and almost all my nine SSB contacts had trouble, whether I used “stroke” or “slash” as phonetic for “/”.

Oh, and even from Kenya I tried chasing a SOTA contact, GM6WRW/P on 17 metres at 15:19 on 19/6/11, but as I was only putting out 5 watts I wasn’t too surprised that she couldn’t hear me. :wink:

73, Rick M0LEP

Logging the wrong callsign is NOT just restricted to SOTA or other Expedition’s - It is all too easy for this to happen during any busy period.

Matt M3WDS/P had a few points deducted from his claimed score in the June 2m UKAC event, because according to the log checking software he logged the wrong callsign, wrong RX signal report and the wrong Locator for a station he worked !

He did actually log the correct details for the station he worked, however someone else that submitted a log for the contest thought he was working them and NOT the station he logged ! As the station he logged did not submit a log it was impossible for the checking software to know that Matt’s log entry was the correct one and tricky for a human checker to spot that too (but 3 errors as part of the exchange should have been a good hint something may be wrong).

However due to the way the UKAC event scores are normalised this will not actually make any overall difference to the score for the June event (to either Matt’s score or the other entrants).

It does however show that submitting a log (even if just as a checklog) to the contest organisers can make a difference to the checking process.

When I’m operating in a contest or at other busy times I try to reduce the chances of these mistakes by giving the callsign of the other station and my own at least once during my over.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to M0LEP:

Hi Rick

Sorry I missed you on 17m. At the time you said you tried calling contacts were just going into a lull and I had decided to hop to 20m.

Could you actually hear me?

Carolyn G(M)6WRW having a very lazy day.

Hi Carolyn,

Yes, I was tuning through the band and recognised your voice. I see I wrote “31” in the log book, though, so you weren’t exactly loud and clear all the time, what with QSB and Nairobi’s hideous QRM/N! I hadn’t managed to catch the full summit reference though.

73, Rick M0LEP (still jet-lagged, somewhat…)

In reply to M0LEP:

…and just what is the approved phonetic for “/” these
days?

I’ve just spent a couple of weeks in Kenya, operating as 5Z4/M0LEP,
and almost all my nine SSB contacts had trouble, whether I used
“stroke” or “slash” as phonetic for “/”.

I think “stroke” is still the accepted term, although many Americans say “slant”!
“Slash” is a product of the computer age.

The French say “bar de fraction”, which is certainly easy to get across on SSB but doesn’t mean much to most anglophones. :slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY . P)

In reply to G0LGS:

It does however show that submitting a log (even if just as a checklog) to the
contest organisers can make a difference to the checking process.

I did politely enquire via email to the RSGB CC as to the reason for points being deducted from my claimed score in a recent contest, because 'EYP assured me they would send me an extract of the “busted calls” thingy. As expected, I did not receive the courtesy of a reply.

Nothing changes.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

I think “stroke” is still the accepted term, although many
Americans say “slant”!

“Stroke” is the one I use if I’m not thinking about it. “Slant” I’ve not heard (or not noticed)…

“Slash” is a product of the computer age.

Riiight. :wink:

The French say “bar de fraction”, which is certainly easy to
get across on SSB but doesn’t mean much to most anglophones. :slight_smile:

Bit of a mouthful, that. :wink:

Thanks and 73, Rick M0LEP