Homebrew Linked Dipole

Hi All,

I know this is neither new nor revolutionary but I wanted to share with you my path to making my homebrew 4 band linked dipole.

I always thought there was some kind of magic involved with antenna making - the kind requiring blood sacrifice and first born etc. however that all changed…
The idea came about when I went out on that 4 summit day with @VK1DA and @VK1AD. Seeing Andrew (1DA’s) simple centre feed point of his linked dipole. A simple 2 line in to a bnc - that’s it… with some strain relief and support… that’s when it dawned on me… its just maths and wire!!!

Over the last month I put together a linked dipole for 40/15/20/10m all with an SWR below 1:1.3 on all bands - no tuner needed.

Here is a video showing it in its working yet rough condition.

**NB I mistakenly say during this video I am using an antenna tuner, in this case, I am the tuner, I was using an analyser.

Using some leftover thin chopping board that I also used for insulators,I made some winders tonight.

And using a spare pouch I had laying around the dipole as well as my 2m/70cm roll up slim jim all fit nicely inside

I can not explain how much this dipole has changed my operating. My previous (great) dipole from SOTABEAMs was a 20/30/40 linked dipole however due to my license in VK I could only use 40 so had never even opened a link before. Now when 40 dies around lunch time on a summit I can easily work 15 or 10. Makes a world of difference.

Super simple - total cost about $50 dollars.




nice one. Looks good. Just looked at those antenna analyser, seem to be not too bad for the price.
This reminds me i must finish one of the two antenna projects i’ve started.

Thanks for sharing photos and video of your link dipole. It’s fun to experiment with antennas and fun to see what others are doing and how they did it. Cheers! Paul K9PM

Very nice job and thanks for the video. Always love to see how others are doing things.

I recently made a linked dipole and used alligator clips for the connectors between the sections. For the “spacers”, I used a piece (about 1ft or 30cm) of kevlar kite string. I tied it to the wire behind each clip. The “uphill” end gets tied right behind the alagator clip, and the “downhill” end is tied further behind the alagator clip. So when the alligator clips are connected, it provides strain relief and when not connected, it easily handles the tension of the antenna while also seperating the ends pretty well as the “downhill” wire can be clipped back on itself out of the way. That kevlar string is strong enough that if it breaks, you have much bigger problems than string or antennas. :smiley: You also then dont have big pieces of plastic clogging up your winder. Just an idea I had.

The alligator clips normally corrode badly and fall apart after a few activations from exposure to hill fog and rain. Or they do in the UK!

Hi We use these gold plated ones.Geoff G6MZX.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80x-Mini-2mm-3-5mm-RC-Male-Female-Gold-plated-Bullet-Banana-Plug-Connector/172436079869?hash=item2825fdc4fd:g:efEAAOSwnsRabpCp

Here is a freeze your buns off video testing the linked dipole i made for 20/30/40 before my trip to jamaica

I use the Packtenna mini balun 1:100:

NJ2US was 1000 km away so 5 watts on 40m with a dipole 12 feet off the ground does work

john ve3ips
PackTenna Mini 1:1 Balun – Arctic Field Test | ve3ips

sorry its a 1:1 balun

Wow you guys really linked that antenna :P.

The analyzer is a “cheap” $60 MR100. Covers 1-60mhz and has a data port for plotting on your computer should you wish. I have made a cable with Anderson power poles on the end and I generally carry it unless I am working ultra light - it’s good for diagnosing issues in the field. It has ZERO weather proofing so I keep it in a spare semi rigid dive torch pouch.

Hi Wade. what a great effort, well done. We all learn something when with other hams. Love your videos

73 de Geoff vk3sq