HEMA

SOTA may be the premier award but HEMA has the edge when it comes to advertising budget. Chapeau.

15 Likes

Nah, I think we can beat that…

9 Likes

How do HEMA afford the sponsorship :rofl:

3 Likes

SOTA is definitely head’s above HEMA

1 Like

I think his head almost counts as a Hema summit. ")

2 Likes

"M0WIV: I think his head almost counts as a Hema summit. "

That’s cruel to the “tall-headed” cyclist John - as all will have guessed by now HEMA in this picture is not the HEMA summit scheme.

Just to keep your facts straight -

HEMA - is an award system that includes summits with between 100m and 150m prominence,
SOTA uses 150m or greater prominence or in some particularly flat areas 100m.
You may be confused with the third summit award scheme - GMA that accepts all named hills that are above 100m ASL (Above Sea Level). This was the scheme that was formed after the break-up in Germany.

“Whatever floats your boat”.

POTA, for example even allows operation from within your car in the car park, as long as the car park is within the boundaries of the park.

These are all “Adventure Radio” (portable operations) schemes and along with WWFF, IOTA, Castles & churches, Beaches, Waterways etc. etc. all have their followers.
Often people will take part in multiple schemes.
Sometimes a summit is within a park, so a “TwoFer” is possible.

While I see SOTA supportive comments on the reflector as good the extra advertising for HEMA that comes out of this thread title is also welcome.

73 Ed.

6 Likes

Are you involved with HEMA Ed?

HEMA is an award scheme that discriminates against people taking part because the organiser and his chum have some undeclared grievance they refuse to explain or discuss.

2 Likes

GMA probably has the most impressive marketing budget of all TBF.

1 Like

Hi Tom,
I operate and support SOTA, HEMA, GMA, POTA, even some COTA/WCA occasionally.
I personally see no reason for aggrevation between the schemes. YMMV

73 Ed.
Adding to the collection of other organisations with names of radio award schemes, I have found this SOTA - which appears to be a shop supplying outdoor gear for camping and survival training.

2 Likes

Nor does Tom. But for some reason the HEMA guys do.

And some SOTA summits (e.g. Ingleborough G/NP-005) are in two parks, making it a ThreeFer.

3 Likes

I have summits here that are Castle ruins (COTA-WCA) and also in SOTA and GMA and WWFF - can one even say a “Fourfer”?

1 Like

If we include GMA and WWFF that makes Ingleborough at least a FiveFer.

1 Like

OK, Richard you beat me on that one by one - I wonder if there are any “SixFers” around?

Ed.

1 Like

I realise that POTA counts as a “twofer” for Ingleborough and you probably included that in you Five Fer. Did you include IOTA EU-005 for England? If not that makes it a SixFer… (This is getting silly!)

Phil

I wonder if the hill fort on the summit counts as a castle…

:rofl:

1 Like

Announcement of possible new “SixFer” location

2 Likes

Is this Bishop Wilton Wold, G/TW-004?
Rod

1 Like

No not “Garrowby Hill” (as locals call G/TW-004) - looks more like somewhere on the North York Moors or possibly in the Lake District.

73 Ed.

1 Like

I think G/TW-004 only counts for SOTA and IOTA (Albeit ALL UK SOTA summits count for IOTA).

73 Phil

1 Like