HB175RAIL on air in September and October 2022

Dear all

Good news for those among you enjoying special callsigns and chasing them, even for SOTA:

HB175RAIL is commemorating 175 years of Swiss railways. In 1847 the famous “Spanisch Brötli Bahn” line between Baden and Zurich marked the starting point of a success story. Long tunnels – the opposites to our summits – or touristic lanes along beautiful sceneries promoted Switzerland a railway paradise. The 2022 jubilee activities remember of this long and eventful journey.

I’m part of the special event team of Radio Club Swissair HB9VC again, providing this activity for you. After HB6ØANT (Antarctic Treaty) and HB90JU (Junkers JU-52 “Aunt Ju” resp. “Iron Annie”) HB175RAIL brings a good touch point for me since I’m basing for my SOTA activities often on our railways resp. the public transport system. My personal schedule is usually tighter in autumn, but I’ll try best to offer you some opportunities to contact HB175RAIL even here on Summits on the Air. Listen also for my other SOTA or non-SOTA team mates, consider getting the award, and keep your friends informed.

More info around this topic can be found here:

So even here: enjoy!

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

15 Likes

Excellent Markus. Hope it’s a great success. Those of us who are active on SOTA and members of the British Railways Amateur Radio Society will definitely be looking forward to working you. 73 de Mike

3 Likes

First try now from HB/LU-029 - see Sotawatch!

Cu and 73, Markus

5 Likes

Thanks for the S2S today - a good start for the diploma!
Looks like I have to work HB175RAIL on 4 different bands to get the 2nd class diploma.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

1 Like

Thank you for the S2S today on 40m in SSB, Markus. It seems like I’m actually the first taker, at least in Sota.

I really want to get my diploma! When are you qrv again with HB175RAIL, tomorrow?

73 Chris

2 Likes

No, I wasn’t, sorry. I’m on a tighter schedule at present, and the activity period is shorter, so hopefully you’ll be the lucky guy all the same.

Tnx for participating and best 73,
Markus

2 Likes

This is probably the “pièce de résistance”, Michael. Let’s try to do best with this requirement.

Tnx for participating and best 73,
Markus

… or enter HB175RAIL into your HamAlert triggers to be aware of any appearance aside SOTA that might support your need.

73, DIZ

A next try this Saturday morning for European SOTA day - unfortunately only from a local hill, due to bad and cold weather in the mountains today.

Cu soon on the bands I hope -
73, Markus HB9DIZ @HB175RAIL

3 Likes

The European SOTA Day has not gifted us with warm weather this year, so I only activated one of my home hills for this special event. I was happy that the rain clouds made mostly detours around my position, but the umbrella was open several times. HB175RAIL was a sort of booster, since it kept me busy – and speaking provides warmth.

Three happy hours so far on Bireggwald, a tired backside hi, 113 contacts but not that many S2S contacts like e.g. last year. Thanks to my chasers and S2S partners!

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

Today the sunshine came from the operator.

No, this is not the new QO-100 setup! I had my largest umbrella with me.

5 Likes

Hello Markus,

Thanks for not getting chased away by the rain.
Happy to have HB175RAIL and you as the operator in my log with a S2S during the OE5 SOTA day.
Conditions were pretty similar although only rain on the way back.

Until next time 73, Joe

1 Like

Hi Markus,

Great that we could make an S2S yesterday, which was a first time contact for me with HB175RAIL. Congratulations also to your DX!

WX was indeed not great and most likely the reason for only a few HB9 S2S. Since the weather in Austria was similar, I only made 7 S2S with OE on 40m.

But the weather in the Lake District seemed very favorable and therefore 11 S2S could be made, mainly on 20m with good signal reports.

I also chose a close by summit, FL/VO-041, across the border in France in the forrest. It was unusual cold for the time of the year, but fortunately, I never had to open my umbrella.

73 Stephan

2 Likes

Lovely to work you from Red Screes, a bit of a tricky contact but worth it.

Alex

1 Like

Hi Joe and Stephan, nice to have met you both on the bands. I had to listen carefully for Joe whereas I could talk to Stephan like on the phone on 40 m.

73, Markus

2 Likes

Dear all

We have weather like in April: constant change between rain and sunshine.

I’ll try to find a dry time slice nearby Berne around 1300z for you this afternoon for HB175RAIL, so look for corresponding spots.

73, Markus HB9DIZ

1 Like

And another try today from the Solothurn jura hills: planning here to activate today HB175RAIL from HB/SO 013 and 010. so take note of the corresponding spots - cu in the bands!

73, Markus HB9DIZ

1 Like

Thx for the S2S today :wink:
Mark

1 Like

Yeah, fog and mist will definitively not limit our medium. Great to have heard you again Mark!

73, DIZ

Thx for calling me S2S yesterday on DM/BM-271 and congrats to complete of Eschenberg :grinning:
Klaus

2 Likes

Great to get two S2Ss with you this weekend! Thanks

Martin!

3 Likes