Handheld Radio Antennas

Hello guys,

today I tested different antennas with my nano VNA and my power meter.
Of the results I saw on my analysis I came (first) to the consulsion that these antennas should work good. Exept the Nagoya fake one.
Check out the pictures of my analysis:
ABBREE Antenna:

“Fake” Nagoya:

Stock Antenna of RA685:

so I tested all these Antennas and then I tried to listen to a repeater near by. But for for some reasons that idk, I found out, that the stock antenna is better then the other two on which for example the ABBREE swr looks promisingly good.

Someone of you can give me some explanation why?
Thx a lot in advanced.

During my trip to Tenerife I used an Diamond RH-770 and for some reasons that again I don’t understand the other stations couldn’t here me so good. But with the RA685 stock antenna it worked fine.
Tried the RH-770 for serveral times same outcome.

Julian IN3JIB

4 Likes

This has an excellent SWR but probably doesn’t work as well as your stock antenna:

5 Likes

yes same thoughts. Maybe this is why…

Your RH-770 must be faulty. I’ve done back to back testing with Nagoya / RH-770 / Slim-g. The RH-770 performed best.

5 Likes

I read this and I was just finding the bin … before I ask what is recommended for a general purpose on the move - real Nagoya ? Why would one use a RH-770 (summits ?) - is it that much better, looks fragile or just bring a slim jim (obviously you would have to carry a pole for this).

I bought a ‘proper’ 2m Yaesu now, and virtually doubled my 2m FM contracts with it this morning. Should have done this in the first place.

2 Likes

Because you have an effective SOTA station that fits in your pocket.

The antenna is more fragile than a rubber whip, so travel with a rubber duck on your radio and swap it for the RH-770 when needed.

On a very windy day, the slim G works best because you can hoist it in the air and shelter out of the wind to operate.

Here’s the video of me testing them out.
https://youtu.be/caXFWHw4oBI?si=yAiWDXklKWPefjHn

4 Likes

Thank you, makes sense. Should have guessed you’d have a guide in your back catalogue !

3 Likes

My experience with those antennas is they perform better on UHF than the standard antenna but not as good on VHF as the standard antenna. Have tested them over a 100km path simplex and it lines up with what I say. So when ever I do SOTA I only have VHF chasers and VHF repeaters to use in those areas so I don’t bother carting that longer antenna around. I got 2 for $10 at a jumble sale one time. My extra gain SOTA antenna is a roll up flowerpot for 2m made from rg124 coax wound on 13mm drip garden tube.
Regards
Ian vk5cz .

2 Likes

This thread is starting to grow legs, which is good. It is a subject that I am currently dealing with trying to find a suitable handheld antenna for SOTA activations. I have watched your video @MM0EFI comparing the Diamond RH770 and the clone, namely the TWAYRDIO RH770. It came at time when I had already ordered the said clone from Amazon after watching Josh at Ham Radio Crash Course test it along side various other antennas. To Josh’s surprise the TWAYRDIO came in as the second best, only beaten out by the MFJ LongRanger. The Long Ranger was in fact the antenna that I would have preferred to have purchased but the issue we have here in the antipodes is one of exorbitant freight charges from the US. The cost of the antenna was going to be USD$34 but the freight was going to cost me USD$76. That equates to NZD$179 or UK£87 where as the TWAYRDIO I landed here for NZD$42.

Anyway, I digress. I am going through the exercise of looking at handheld antennas only because I have updated my trusty and much loved Baofeng UV-82 to one of the last of the Yaesu FT-60R’s. I have made this upgrade only because when working peaks with commercial radio installations I was suffering the dreaded ‘FrontEnd Overload’ and while chasers could clearly hear me I was not hearing them. The antenna that I have been using on the Baofeng is an Abbree 42 inch Foldable CS Tactical. As goofy as they look, they perform well. With the new new FT-60R comes an SMA Male connector as apposed to the Baofeng’s SMA Female. It was either an adapter, my second choice, or sourcing a new antenna.

This is my collection of Handheld antennas to date. First picture with antenna’s folded or retracted and second picture with them extended.

Radios and antennas listing from the right. Baofeng UV-82 with standard rubber ducky, Nagoya NA-771, Abbree 42 inch, FT-60R with standard rubber ducky, Nagoya NA-771, TWAYRDIO RH-660s, TWAYRDIO RH-770.

To date, I have only tried all of these antennas out on 2 meters as that is my target frequency. First, the Nagoya’s. I am pretty sure one of them is a fake but that said they both work reasonably well, better than the standard rubber duckies, even though one has a higher SWR than the other. Both come in under 2:1. Then the Abbree. As I have said, it appears goofy when using it but I swear by it. Now the two dark horses, the TWAYRDIO’s. The RH660-s has abysmal SWR when fully extended; something like 3:1. Shorten it one section, which brings it to the same length as its bigger brother, the RH-770 and the SWR goes down to 1.1:2. The RH-770 when fully extended gets an SWR of 1.3:1. Both are acceptable to me, although I prefer not to have to adjust the length on my HT antennas to get a good SWR.

Running some tests with a fellow ham simplex at a distance of 23km the RH-770 works best followed by the RH-660s and then the Nagoya. All gave very readable reception both ends. For interest, here was our signal path.

Then last weekend, from my QTH I used the RH-770 to chase a SOTA activator 17km away. Again the signal path.

Shorter distance but a little more challenging terrain. I was using the FT-60R, he was using an FT-70 with the standard rubber ducky. He reports that my reception was 59+ and he had to turn his volume down.

Now none of this is very scientific but if nothing else it gives some indications of the antenna’s effectiveness, or not. Since this test I have managed to track down a genuine Diamond SRH770 and a SRH770S from StrictlyHam.com.au at a reasonable price and shipping. They have similar model numbers but are quite different beasts. SOTA afficanado’s in the US were apparently used to test the SRH770S when it was being developed by Diamond and they swear by them for SOTA use. I particularly look forward to testing mine. Both antennas should arrive next week and I shall report on my tests with these.

Cheers

Phil ZL2VTH

4 Likes

Hello Fraser,
no my Antenna is fine swr measured with my powermeter on 1:1.01.
Now when its getting warmer outside I will making another test. Added a diy 2m-Slim-J and some other antennas to my portfolio too… haha

1 Like

Tim your’e right the SLIM-J works very good! JOE @OE5JFE and I used his diy SLIM-J in Tenerife two times together and it worked a lot better then the stock one. Tenerife is perfect for testing such things because u make a lot of contacts in the 2m band. But why my RH-770, which performes quite well, not working is there is a mystery to me.
This is the SLIM-J used from us.

4 Likes

I can recommend measuring handheld radio antennas with the Max Hold function of the spectrum analyzer.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

3 Likes

The RH-770’s just work !

Maybe all versions are not equal - I have cheap clones that work just fine on my FT-65
Especially on a “pointy” summit where there is a good immediate take-off and no need for extra antenna height.

My record is GW/SW-009 to GI/MM-002 S2S last February- I reckon that’s 300 km

Cheers
Rick

4 Likes

Three hundred and eight km’s just to be precise but with a clear unimpeded path. but damned impressive none the less. Can you share with us the antenna you were using? I have always envisaged that sort of distance was achievable with a yagi but maybe you have found the absolute ideal clone.

Cheers
Phil ZL2VTH

2 Likes

Nope, there’ll be Earth curvature to allow for. i.e. it’s not line of sight.

The centre of the path will have been over the Irish Sea so there will have been a small amount of Marine ducting which allowed the non-LOS path to work. My own best I can recall was GM/SS-015 to GW/NW-040 which is 358km. That was handheld rubber duck to handheld rubber duck and 5W at each end. Again, the centre of the path was over the Irish Sea so again ducting was happening.

It’s more common here in the UK because we have a much higher ham population density than ZL so there’s more chance of people being in the right places when ducting is happening.

3 Likes

Correct.

With my 5W Yaesu handheld and the RH-770 I managed to work a few DX stations including:

• The Netherlands (Waarland) from GW/SW-011 (Sugar Loaf): 540 km

• France (Saint Meloir des Ondes) from GW/MW-006 (Pegwn Mawr): 439 km.

3 Likes

My personal RH-770 record is 498km, VK3/VC-018 into Launceston. Bit of a lift per Hepburn and a water path almost the whole way. 5W into a FT-60, white stick vertical and 25W at the other end apparently, full quieting.

4 Likes

Totally agree with you Andy. Yes of course there is the curvature or the earth and I accept Marine ducting has a part to play in it…much like the heyday in the 70’s here in NZ when we used to make contact in Australia with CB. My comment on ‘clear unimpeded path’ was more skewed to lack of hills or ranges in between. Your 385 km rubber duck to rubber duck is even more impressive even with ducting.

I liked your comment ‘much higher ham population density than ZL’. I have always considered this when attempting activation’s or trialling new gear, my most recent one being the Gabil GRA-7350T. Often you walk away wondering whether the lack of contacts has been due to ineffective gear or operating practices or just the lack of audience out there at the time.

Cheers
Phil ZL2VTH

3 Likes

It just gets better and better Rob. Yes, I have to say that I am impressed with the clone of the RH-770 and look forward to receiving the genuine article from Australia later this week. It is probably redundant to test between the clone and the authentic Diamond as Fraser, @MM0EFI seems to have already covered that quite well in his video.

Cheers
Phil ZL2VTH

1 Like

The only way this works is if you do back to back testing, ie antenna A v B v C v n at the same time. Yes, I’ve worked Cairngorms to Lake District with my HT plus whip (290km) and I’ve had Faroese APRS beacons pinging my HT whilst hiking up Lochnagar (605km) but that in itself means nothing except that there was a bit of a lift going on.

3 Likes