Guru, EA2IF is now Silent key (Part 1)

73 Guru
May the speakers be full of DX
Tim
G4YTD

Very sorry to hear this. Guru was a courageous fighter; I donā€™t know if I could do the same. Iā€™m new at SOTA but I have had several SOTA QSOs with him. It was always exciting to get his DX. RIP.

Thank you Ignatio for the post.
Sad sad news for the SOTA Community, we lost a very good friend and a great Ham Radio Operator.
My thoughts are with him and his family.
Maybe we can make him a mountain goat in honourā€¦there was just 26 points missingā€¦
Guru, you reached the eternal summit in lifeā€¦
You will be missed
RIP my friendā€¦

73 de Stefan DG4RBS

5 Likes

That is the BEST SUGGESTION Iā€™ve seen on here and would be an amazing gesture! Goodness, we could all do with something positive just now.

Can the MT please consider this?

15 Likes

So sad to hear of his passing. I am lucky enough to have him in the log 4 times in my very young SOTA journey and glad to say that the SOTA community has allowed our paths to cross. All the best to his family.

2 Likes

Stunningly sad.

Paul

2 Likes

Really sad to read this news about Guru today. Thoughts are with you my friend and your family at this sad time.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

RIP Guru ā€¦ 73

1 Like

Very sad to hear this. I know he knew this was coming, but that doesnā€™t make it any easier. RIP Guru.

2 Likes

Hello,
It is great to receive here such a support from the whole ham community!

All messages I read here are kind are supportive with Guru and his family.
In the last months many people replied in several of the threads written by Guru where he described his fight and his feeling while enjoying any activation. You know he found a lot of motivation thanks to SOTA.

All these messages are an example of how ham spirit can join people from different corners of the world and encourage those who are struggling. This solidarity and fraternity is so necessary and relevant in this world!

Thanks everybody for your warm words; I will provide your messages to the family for them to read.
A big hug to this great SOTA family
73 Ignacio

28 Likes

Hi Friends,

My activation of SP/BZ-053 on March 19, 2022 will be dedicated to Guru EA2IF - my SOTA friend whom I have never met personally but for whom I have great respect.
My heart that day will belong to Guru.
I will be active on CW, SSB & FM on as many bands as possible.
See you on the frequencies.

73, Jarek

8 Likes

So very sad to read this today, he always felt like a friend during a QSO, even though we never met, I wish now that we had spoken more last Sunday, knowing now that that would be the last time we would speak.

Being so close to becoming a MG at the end, I would love to see Guru receive a posthumous honorary Mountain Goat Award. Please letā€™s make this happen.

Thoughts with his family, friends and all the SOTA community that will miss him deeply.

73 Rich

7 Likes

When Eric (KU6J) passed a few years back, we renamed a peak in California (W6/NS-204) as a memorial to him.

Beyond possibly becoming a posthumous MG, maybe renaming an existing Spanish SOTA peak in his honor will ensure another visible memory to him.

Paul

10 Likes

73 Guruā€¦you were a friend never seen, but often talked to and counted on during our SOTA friendship. In our logs and in our hearts.
Chip K2KJD

3 Likes

I met Guru several times over the air, and we would occasionally correspond by email. When I told him last summer that my daughter was going to finish her fall semester of college in Spain, he suggested that our daughters connect by email so mine could practice her Spanish, and his daughter her English - and if she had any questions about her travels in Spain she could ask his daughter Eva. Guru then proceeded to email both daughters, introducing them both. Iā€™ve always been fascinated by the friendship across borders by radio amateurs, and Guru certainly knew this too.

I too will miss hearing the EA2IF callsign. It was special to me to be able to say ā€œHi Guruā€ and know that he knew me! I had secretly hoped that someday Iā€™d travel to Spain with my daughter and we would meet Guru and family in person.

My condolences to his family, both at home and here in the SOTA community.

Dave, N0DET

10 Likes

I am very sorry to hear that, I know that he was very sick.
Each time I was thinking about it during my last activations in ON and DL this last months when he called me.
RIP dr Guru,
Hans PA3FYG

3 Likes

So sad news. Never met Guru personally, but it always felt like speaking to a friend when we had a QSO.

The huge amount of emotional comments here on the reflector show that Guru was not only a great ham radio operator, he was a friend of us all.

Guru, you will be missed! R.I.P.

7 Likes

Such sad news. :frowning: Condolences to all his family. R.I.P., Guru.

3 Likes

I am sorry to hear this sad news. It has been a pleasure to
communicate with Guru over the years.
My condolences to his family.
Ian
G4WTF

3 Likes

I am so sad to learn that Guru has lost his battle with cancer.
It was always a pleasure to have him in my log.
The huge number of postings here says it all.
Rest in peace dear friend Guru.
My condolences to all the family.
David G3RDQ

4 Likes