GPS device - advice and help please (Part 1)

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the great input - I do partly agree reference the paper map etc etc, but its definitely worked well in the past! I have the Iwatch on me which can contact emergency services with a slide of the screen, but having something that does all, including spotting when on summit is a great bonus! The Garmin will be coming my way :slight_smile:

Look forward to our next contact and take care!

73, GW4BML. Ben

Many thanks for this information.

73, GW4BML. Ben

A Garmin will be coming my way - thank you for the information!

Many thanks for the information!

Thank you for your input - I will probably go for the SI so I can have InReach to spot and Mrs BML can check that I’m ok on the mountains :slight_smile:

Thanks All!

2 Likes

Andy, Thanks for reminding me to ask you this question - would this be instead of or in addition to my mobile phone?

3 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

For SMS setup and Inreach support then email me at the address in the SMS Guide which is the FAQ.

The reason for emailing me there is all the data ends up in the right place for me to do the setup rather than on here making me move data about. And TBH, I’m lazy. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Seeing more and more people needing the help of Mountain Rescue teams now, too…:weary:

3 Likes

Yes but that’s a different crowd that don’t carry maps.

I generally carry one on longer multi-summit hikes on high tops, but it very rarely gets used, unless I choose to in order to keep my nav. skills sharp.

5 Likes

Please excuse my vanishing roar of a dinosaur…:rofl:

1 Like

My pal was in Police Scotland MRT since 90’s, just moved to civilian team since retiring. He says they get fewer calls now with people lost so its not clear cut.

This is quite a balanced article on the subject

73 Gavin
GM0GAV

Fair point. Happy to concede and return to my cave …:rofl:

Why do people suggest a telephone when you’re asking for a gps rx? :rofl:
I’m waiting for the day somebody asks for a decent sota trx and a jungle drum is being suggested by somebody else.
Go for the gpsmap64 or a used gpsmap60csx in good shape, if it doesn’t equal gold of the same weight.

Ahoi
Pom

6 Likes

You are so right, Pom. I can’t connect my morse key to my jungle drum and only transmit in the audio band.

But what can’t I do with a smartphone and the corresponding app that a GPS device can do? :thinking:

73 Chris

1 Like

It’s all been said, Chris. For me the main points are wet fingers, gloves, runtime and AA batteries which are not only used in the GPS rx, but also in the LED torch or maybe the headlamp. So only one set of standard spare batteries is required.

Ahoi
Pom

2 Likes

Wet hands and gloves compatible, 2 days battery live.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-xr-20/specs?sku=VMA750Y9FI1CN0

1 Like

I can feel a poll coming on Chris…

73 Phil

3 Likes

Drop it on rocks from about 1 - 1.25m above the ground and pick it up, brush off the dust and continue using it unscathed.

2 Likes

I find it difficult, nearly impossible to see details on my phone in bright sunlight but the garmin screen stays visible in the same conditions. We do get very bright sunlight though.

Gps62s in my case. It has also survived several falls and rough treatment, accidental.

The garmin has the whole map installed, but the phone does not and relies on having cell coverage for some functions. Navigation using the phone apps is not bad in cities, which is probably the target audience, not the small number of lunatics walking up remote hills.

4 Likes

Thanks @VK1DA Andy for your advice - I class myself in the category of a lunatic :blush: so a Garmin it is!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Another vote for the Garmin 66SI… Still would not be without a paper map and compass. Its just in the blood! Plus on multi day trips usually on Dartmoor I love getting the map out in the evening and looking at what is around me and worth a visit the following day. Oh and the radio of course for a bit of wilderness ops!
I dont use the tracking on the 66SI but insted have a canned message I call “spot locaton” and as its one of the pre set unlimited messages, use that to ping myself and SOH at interesting points throughout the day walking.

2 Likes