http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=4211#
Topic: Error in S5 database
on 17th March 2010 at 21:55 :
“Thank you Joska. We are on to it.
Tom M1EYP”

http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=4286#
Topic: Error in OK/ZL database
on 9th April 2010 at 13:39 :
“Thanks for that, Joska, this problem has occurred with several Associations and it is being put right but takes time.
73 Brian G8ADD”

As far as I can remember, HA5TI Pista noticed a simiral error in the VP8 summit database in January or February this year, but I did not find it in the database.

They are on it!
It takes time, as the MT members predicted.
How many time?
More time, Alain! :-)))
Patience, patience and patience! “Rome was not built in a day!”

73: Jóska, HA5CW.

In reply to HA5CW:
Hi Joska,

No problem for me, I’m patient ! especially since I will not activate Korean summits soon…

73 Alain

Hi, all…

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this in.

I have created a database and interface that allows you to query a copy of the SOTA database 3 different ways:

• Summits within a selectable radius of a U. S. Callsign’s QTH
  • Summits within a selectable radius of any given Latitude/Longitude
  • All summits foldered by association and group

The output choices are either KML files or NetLinks. For those who are unaware, NetLinks store a query and retrieve fresh results when needed so your Google Map can be up-to-date.

The push pins include a fairly detailed description including a link to the summits page on sotawatch.

I created the database and interface at the suggestion on another ham. I was unaware of any other work done in this area.

If you wish to try it out, use http://wm1ke.us/sotasearch.html
This software is “beta.”

Mike
wm1ke

I’m not sure if this is a new feature in Google Earth or just something I have missed, but I recently noticed that using the “Ruler” function to measure between two points, if you save that line, & right click on the entry in your “Places” folder, you have the option of “Show elevation profile”

This could be useful for a quick visualization of the line of sight path between two summits.

Also, if you use the ruler function to plot a path (as opposed to a straight line) this elevation profile feature also works, which could give you a rough idea of what ascent or descent may be involved in activating a particular summit via a certain route.

As an example, here is a quick screen shot of the path I usually take up G/SP-005 Pendle Hill showing the elvation profile.

http://www.dogswebspace.com/google_earth_pendle.jpg

Of course, this will only be as accurate as Google Earth’s base data, but for a rough guide it’s not bad.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before & I’ve just been slow to pick it up.HI!

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

“It’s worse than that… it’s dead Jim” said Bones about Mark’s webserver.
:wink:

EDIT: the initial rush is over and it’s working again.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

It is running a little slow tonight isn’t it :wink:

Mark G0VOF

On 9th December I uploaded a new version of my “summits.kmz” visualisation of all SOTA summits. Unfortunately I have just discovered that at the final stage of building the .kmz file, I inadvertently incorporated an older version of the file, omitting the December changes. The problem was that I forgot to rename the “test” version of the file as the “live” version.

I have now rebuilt the .kmz file incoporating the December changes, and uploaded it again. Apologies for the slip-up.

Martyn M1MAJ

In reply to M1MAJ:

Thanks Martyn

73, Peter - ON4UP

In reply to WM1KE:
Mike,
I just came across your link. Nice clean interface.

Andrew
K1YMI / GM1YMI

I have done another update to my Google Earth visualisation of all SOTA summits, to include the new I and IS0 assocations and all other recent changes.

Just a reminder that the file can be downloaded from:

The version on the summitsbase.org site can no longer be updated because the file is now too large and the update fails. Mail to the admin address at that site goes unanswered, so whilst I’d like to maintain another copy there, at the moment I can’t.

The published coordinates of I/LG-013 (Cimonasso) are self-evidently wrong. I have drawn the error to the attention of the association manager and I hope the position will be corrected in due course. Meanwhile, GIGO.

Martyn M1MAJ