Google Earth visualisation

I have just uploaded a new Google Earth file to the Files section of the summits Yahoo group: summits.kml in the “Maps” folder.

The Yahoo group seems to be being sidelined, but as far as I know it is the only place I can drop random files for the SOTA community. ]

The changes from the previous version are:

• All summits are now included, not just UK and Eire.

• There is a hierarchical organisation by region, allowing fine control over which are visible.

• Deleted summits are in a separate folder; they are not shown by default but can be made visible if you wish.

The positions are of course only as accurate as the information in the SOTA database, and there may be some errors in the coordinates. All my processing has been scripted, so I hope not to have introduced any errors.

In reply to M1MAJ:

Hi Martyn,

Many thanks, that must have taken you quite sometime HI.Have installed it and checked some of the German summits that we (INK,BVE,and me) activated last Summer and all is well.

Much appreciated, Mike G4BLH

I have just uploaded a new version of my Google Earth “summits.kml” file to the “Maps” section of the Summits Yahoo group.

Changes in this version are:

• Tomorrow’s new F/ summits included
  • All but 2 of the recently discovered errors corrected
  • Pushpins now colour coded to indicate the score for each summit

In reply to M1MAJ:
Hi, I downloaded it but giving me a XML file on my folder that I can’t use…?
I try to import it to GoogleEarth but doesn’t work.
Did I miss something ? If anybody can help…
Thanks in advance.
Chris F8DZY.

In reply to F8DZY:
Hi Chris

I jut tried it again and it still works for me. Make sure you are downloading it and the extension stays as .kml It’s not an XML file.

Then you can just use File>Open in Google Earth

Good luck… Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:
tnx Marc but it comes as an XML file again and again, and can’t change it in KML… I am on my girlfriend PC’s, maybe it is not completely OK ?
I’ll see this when back home end May…
CU
Vy 73 de Chris F8DZY.

In reply to F8DZY:
Salut Chris,

As-tu essayé click droit et ‘ouvrir’ avec … Google Earth ?
Tu as un pb d’association de fichier avec son exécutable.
Tout ça modifiable dans le panneau de config -> option des dossiers -> types de fichiers

Bon courage…
Alain F6ENO

Salut,
si vraiment les fichiers on une extension non souhaité vous pouvez les renommer en “nom du fichier.kml” clic droit renommer, donnez nous le lien des fichiers que vous voulez importer dans google heart qu’on puisse essayer!

salutations

In reply to F0FGB & F6ENO:
rien n’y a fait, il s’agit d’un problème au niveau de l’enregistrement du fichier depuis le groupe Yahoo : le PC ne me propose que XML. Les options de dossier n’ont pas résolu le problème, ni changer de nom (ce serait trop simple HI). Marc G0AZS m’a envoyé le fichier KML par mail et tout fonctionne désormais, merci pour vos réponses !

In reply to G0AZS :
many thanks Marc for e-mail me the file, it works perfectly now !
CU later…

Vy 73 de Chris F8DZY.

In reply to M1MAJ:

Thanks Martyn, was playing & noticed OE/VB-009 & 107 are in Nigeria.
Steve.

In reply to G1INK:

Thanks Martyn, was playing & noticed OE/VB-009 & 107 are in
Nigeria.

Indeed - GIGO - see my posting with subject “Ectopic summits” some time ago.

They will be fixed on the next rebuild after the database is corrected.

I have uploaded a new version of the “summits.kml” file. The new associations which joined this month have now been added.

I have corrected the location of OE/VB-009 & 107 based on the information given in this thread (it would be really good if this could get into the database proper so that I wouldn’t need to hack it).

summits.kml may be downloaded from either of the following:

http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=73

In reply to M1MAJ:

Thanks Martyn

We have certainly got rid of those gross errors which placed summits in the wrong continent! However, there are still some oddities, with a few Austrian and Swiss summits sitting well inside Italy. I’ve noticed HB/GR-092 and 139, OE/KT-064 and OE/TI-058, 062, 116 and 145. Of course, with any project of this size there are bound to be some errors, possibly even in the original source material, and they are only going to become apparent when displayed on something like Google Earth.

Keep up the good work. There will be further new ones very soon!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

However, there are still some oddities, with a
few Austrian and Swiss summits sitting well inside Italy.

I can look at these when time permits, but I think the balance of probability is that this reflects errors, or a lack of precision, in the source data. All of my processing is scripted, so whilst I may have systematic errors, there won’t be errors of transcription.

However, I’m not quite sure where to find a definitive reference for the location of borders. The lines that Google Earth draws seem suspiciously straight in places, and I suspect they may also be approximations.

I have just updated my Google Earth file on both Summitsbase and the Yahoo group. Now includes Corsica, and doubtless many changes in Germany.

I haven’t corrected any coordinates myself, but this new version should reflect any changes that have been made to the main SOTA database since the last update.

Just a note that my Google Earth file has just been updated again from the current database and is available from the usual places.

In reply to M1MAJ:
Thanks Martyn - the file is very useful to me. Efforts appreciated.

Phil

In reply to M1MAJ:
Thanks Martyn Great work.

I fear that, due to the good efforts of some hard working AM’s, you will be doing another update in the next month or two. :slight_smile:

You will also note that a recent update to the general rules requires that future summit list submissions will be made with coordinates in signed decimal format, which I believe will simplify your task somewhat.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

I fear that, due to the good efforts of some hard working AM’s, you
will be doing another update in the next month or two. :slight_smile:

No problem.

You will also note that a recent update to the general rules requires
that future summit list submissions will be made with coordinates in
signed decimal format, which I believe will simplify your task
somewhat.

Well it’s a step in the right direction, but not of itself sufficient to make much difference.

For a start, the spec in the new rules is incomplete; it says decimal degrees but does not specify the order of the coordinates or the sign convention. Both of these are inconsistent in the existing data.

But in any case I’ve never thought that 1-off conversion at the time of acceptance of new data ought to be a big deal. The change that is actually needed is a consistent STORAGE format in the database; I’d suggest adding two new columns “Lat” and “Lon” to supplement the existing “Gridref1” and “Gridref2” columns which are used in such a haphazard manner. Populating the new fields using the data that I’ve generated would be trivial.

We also need a decent data download facility, but I’m sure people are fed up of hearing that from me.

In reply to M1MAJ:

…the spec in the new rules is incomplete; it says decimal
degrees but does not specify the order of the coordinates or the sign
convention.

Very good point Martyn and it will be spec’ed more precisely in the next revision. However I do currently expect to see data as Lat. then Long. with Lat. N and Long. E as positive and Lat. S and Long. W as negative (common practice)

…and thanks for the other feedback, we will discuss with Gary etc.

73 Marc G0AZS