Google Earth visualisation

I have just uploaded another update to my Google Earth file. The W6 association is now included.

In reply to M1MAJ:

Martyn, I must be doing something wrong! The file is labelled summits.kml, as expected, at source, but is only downloading in .xml format. Naturally that doesn’t work for GoogleEarth.

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

Martyn, I must be doing something wrong! The file is labelled
summits.kml, as expected, at source, but is only downloading in .xml
format. Naturally that doesn’t work for GoogleEarth.

Two questions:

a) is this a change from previous behaviour?
b) which site are you downloading from?

To the best of my knowledge I’ve followed my standard procedure. All I do is upload the file; I can’t control how downloaders interpret it. A KML file IS an XML file, of course. I’d check your file associations.

In reply to M1MAJ:

a) is this a change from previous behaviour?

Yes, it has always downloaded as a .kml file previously

b) which site are you downloading from?

The Yahoo groups site

A KML file IS an XML file, of course. I’d check your file associations.

I will check, but I cannot recall doing anything to change them.

Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

73 de Les

In reply to G3VQO:
I’ve just done a trial download and it opened in Google Earth for me. I think the file is fine and I don’t really have control over anything else. Perhaps you could try some of the other KML files on the site and see if they have the same problem.

If all else fails you could try opening the file directly from Google Earth. If it really has saved with the wrong extension you can always rename it.

I’m sure others will let me know if they also have a problem. Feel free to Email me at the address on QRZ rather than cluttering the reflector.

In reply to M1MAJ:

I edited my previous message to add extra comments. Then I saw your new message had crossed with it, so reverted to creating a new message in order not to confuse!

I was previously unaware that a .xml file was the same as a .kml file - obviously just a complication to confuse the computer-challenged! I have now simply re-named summits.xml to become summits.kml, and everything is working as expected.

My file associations seem OK as far as I can see.

The file as originally downloaded (summits.xml) would not open in GoogleEarth.

The other .kml files on the same site correctly download as .kml files.

As you say, if others encounter the same problem, no doubt you will be told!

Thanks for your efforts anyway. All’s well that ends well.

73 de Les

In reply to M1MAJ:

Just downloaded here & all working fine - tnx.

In reply to G3VQO:

I was previously unaware that a .xml file was the same as a .kml file

I didn’t say they were the SAME. A KML file is an XML file. An XML file may or may not be a KML file. XML is a generic markup language; KML is a specific subset for a particular purpose.

KML is to XML as sparrow is to bird.

summits.kml file now updated with September 2009 changes

In reply to M1MAJ:

Thanks! Thats a great resource and a great way to see all of the new 1,000+ W1 summits.

Tom-N2YTF

In reply to M1MAJ:
Many thanks Martyn, very useful indeed!
Roger MW0IDX

I have done another routine update to my summits.kml file which shows all SOTA summits in Google Earth.

The file is now too large for the summitsbase.org.uk site and has been removed from there. It can still be found on the Yahoo groups site.

All the new associations which start today and next month have been included, with the exception of YO, whose summits are not yet in the underlying database. I will add them when they appear.

Do remember that some of the summits shown are not valid until 1st May.

I can see some fairly obvious errors in the coordinates of some of the E7 summits, and have informed the association manager of these.

In reply to M1MAJ:
Very good Martin. The summits .kml file is superb and a huge help.
We’re in danger of having the first activation in Denmark today. Apparently. I was hoping to use my radio Danish but little prospect on 4m FM with my kit from here. I can now see that Kjell LA1KHA will take the ferry to Friedrichshavn and head for OZ-007.
At least this one doesn’t have three element beams on 80 m from an alpine snow cave!
David 2E0DAI

summits.kml updated again - YO association now included.

In reply to M1MAJ:
Thanks for all your work Martin.

73, Peter - ON4UP

I have just done another update to my Google Earth visualisation. The KML file has now become too large for Yahoo, so I have repackaged it as a KMZ file which is much smaller. It should download into Google Earth in exactly the same way; if for any reason this doesn’t work you can rename it as summits.zip and extract the embedded summits.kml file using anything that handles zip archives.

As a consequence of the compression, I have been able to reinstate the copy on summitsbase. So the download URLs are now:

and

http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=204

This new version includes all of the summits currently in the database, and also incorporates over a thousand corrections of my own. (I will report the database errors to the MT in due course).

Awesome work Martyn. Many thanks for the resource, and compiling the errors list, which I hopefully can then report back to AMs. (Association Managers hold and maintain the master data the feeds into the Database, so from a data management issue, it is vital that everything is correctly formatted at their side first, and not just on our websites).

Tom M1EYP

I have just updated the “all summits” Google Earth file to include the EA1 summits recently added to the database.

I also spotted that the database places many of the SV summits in Saudi Arabia and the Red Sea, so I’ve done a tweak to move them back to Greece. Any remaining bad positions (for example HL/JB-101) are likely to be errors in the main database.

In reply to M1MAJ:

Thanks Martyn, nice job again.

It sems that some Korean summits are wrong in the main database.
One is located in the Mediterranean sea, and some others in the water…

73 Alain F6ENO

an HB/VS-152 you find in Italy hihi…
73 Peter