Glas Maol GM/ES-012 - a lump with nice views

This is a straightforward 8 pointer that has been reported on several times, most recently by Mike, 2M0WNA, but I quite liked the photos from the day, so I thought I would share them. The weather on Wed 25th Sept was excellent - sunny and no wind and the upper car park at Glenshee was empty when I arrived at around 1000 local. As I had no mob signal I had to pay the £4 car park fee in the ski centre restaurant - the guy behind the counter was a bit disappointed that I didn’t want anything else - not many other customers.
The track up starts from the car park and is for ATVs used by the ski centre. The first section is quite steep and then ascends with some up and down bits (down bits are always annoying when going up…) past the Meall Odhar Cafe (closed) and some POMA tows. There is then a reasonably flat section before the final (steep zig zag) ascent up to the top, which is via a single track that for most of the way is really a shallow trench lined with loose stones. Since I had a heavier pack than usual (857d, 5el 2m Innovantennas yagi, al mast plus 10m 2 el yagi) I have to admit that I found it tough going. For future 2m work I have a cunning plan - I have already successfully tested the little UR3LMZ transverter with my KX3 at home and now I just need to complete the build and test of a much lighter 2m yagi.

Looking back down at the Meall Odhar Cafe

The flat section - looking back

a little lochan en route

Looking up at the final ascent section

Looking back down at the car park and A93 from the top of the final ascent section. The green building is the Cairnwell Cafe (closed)

Activation:
Starting at 1105 utc 4 itl on 2m SSB, GM4COX, MM3XIA and 2 S2S, one with G8CPZ/P on G/LD-050 and one with GM4KNU/P on GM/SS-064. The 857 was doing funny things on FM, so I gave up on that mode before managing any contacts.
10m was pretty quiet but brought best DX QSO of the day - S01WS in Western Sahara who was working a pile-up
15 itl on 40 and another 20 on 20m.
I went back to 10m briefly and worked EA8CCA for a second time, then heard YB1DNF at 59 short path but my 7aH battery failed at that point .The 857 obviously drains it a lot faster than the KX3 - not surprising. Got 3 hours of 50w out of it.
Just 2 hillwalkers all day - they now know about SOTA

Some nice views from the top

73 until the next one.

5 Likes

It’s a nice easy hill for 8pts. But the fact there are more and more pay car parks is getting a bit annoying… The country is getting as bad as Englandshire for having to pay to park :frowning:

As soon as you want to do 2m SSB you realise what a brilliant radio the 817 is. All modes, HF and 6/2 and 70 in one small package.

2 Likes