Gaulfest 2023 - Friday 29th December - confirmed

So that’s how it’s done! Many thanks, Tom…

OK, so it’s something to do with rocks and bands, and Wales being Gaul but not quite, and Mass Attacks - OK got it. Makes perfect sense, count me in.

3 Likes

It’s one way. Another approach would be to count the posts from the start of the thread until you reached number 8.

3 Likes

I’m not good at counting: 1, 2, many… I get lost after two :rofl:

2 Likes

OK, just count to two. Then do it again. Then repeat this entire process.

1 Like

I keep just getting two…

3 Likes

If it were the 30th (Saturday) and due to having to work the other days I may be able to get a pass out. I can see if Peter would available too.

Not been down that way in a while. Good memories of a snowy day many moons ago :slight_smile:

Ian

2 Likes

Many many moons ago! 22nd January 2005. Jimmy was 12 and unlicensed! There was no snow at all for any of us on Stiperstones and Corndon Hill earlier - but a complete blizzardy white-out on Long Mynd! Good times!

2 Likes

I had a very competent SUV when I did Long Mynd. It had sensible all season tyres that were not massively low-profile and clever automatic switching between FWD and AWD. I thought the road up on a dry day was “fun” and would not fancy driving up or down that if there was snow on the roads :frowning:

1 Like

Indeed, they close the Burway road if there is a hint of snow or ice. Over the years the occasional muppet has ignored that, and sometimes regrets the decision! The road up from the West is less exposed, but is still closed in snowy conditions…

2 Likes

Tnx Tom. We’ll finalise the arrangements closer to the time.

2 Likes

I dislike the Burway very much! I can just about cope with driving up it, but avoid driving back down it, or the descent to Asterton past the gliding club. I tend to only ever drive off the Long Mynd on the road N/NW towards Ratlinghope. If heading to Mr Bun The Bakers, I would then loop around via All Stretton back to Church Stretton. An extra few minutes driving to spare the increased heartrate!

2 Likes

Ive tentatively added an alert for g/wb-005 for sarurday 30th december. Hopefully the weather will allow for a full on heavy-weight activation across mutliple bands.

Feel free to join me/us on summit.

Will confirm final details closer to the time and if others activating that day a vist to Mr Bun.

Ian

2 Likes

Tom

The Burway doesn’t bother me, but Cathy would rather climb from Carding Mill !
If you don’t mind the extra flat mile, go up from All Stretton and park where the road meets the Portway near Robin Hood’s Butts (lol … must be the tights)

Rick

4 Likes

Some decades ago, I was going down that way, and met a car towing a long glider trailer coming up. He couldn’t reverse, so I had to reverse back up. I haven’t been keen on that route since!

3 Likes

Sunday a week or two back they were taking them down the Burway two at a time.
Rod

3 Likes

I’m tentatively suggesting Wednesday 27th December for Gaulfest. At present, the Met Office forecast is showing it as very wet that day. If that forecast doesn’t budge, it won’t be that day! However, my experience is that these forecasts drift backwards by about 24 hours in the 6 days we have yet to wait! If that occurs, we’re set for a good day! We’ll keep an eye on things and update accordingly.

2 Likes

I wish you’d mentioned this earlier. I was up that way at the beginning of December and did Titterstone Clee and Long Mynd.

Looks not that bad for those us further North. I’ve not been out for a few weeks after I aggravated my old slipped disc injury buy it feels pretty much back to normal so it’ll be worth trying something. Also Christmas food needs to be exercised away. I

1 Like

I don’t understand what you mean by this Colin. If you read this whole thread, you will see that I started this thread on the 12th November and therefore I feel that I have given plenty of notice to people about Gaulfest happening between Christmas and New Year.

Jimmy M0HGY

Whilst I won’t be around the Shropshire area, I am planning on heading up G/NP-005 on the 27th with a few people for a post-Christmas walk, but, as you say, this is very much weather dependent! If it improves, I’ll look to S2S with you all, but if it remains the way it is, we’ll more likely do a shorter lowland walk instead.

Fingers crossed for a change in forecast!

73s

Jordan
M3TMX

1 Like