Gaulfest 2023 - Friday 29th December - confirmed

Gaulfest was a SOTA tradition that would happen between Christmas and New Year where SOTA activations would take place on G/WB, GW/NW and GW/MW SOTA summits near to Church Stretton in Shropshire and afterwards a meet up would take place Mr Bun The Baker in Church Stretton for coffee and cake. I am hoping to try and revive Gaulfest this year, I am thinking that the Gaulfest should take place on either 27th December, 28th December, 29th December or 30th December. The date will be decided much nearer the time once we know which if these dates has the best wx. I am wondering if anyone would be up for Gaulfest this year between Christmas and New Year and more importantly, is anyone up for a meet up at Mr Bun The Baker afterwards as it would be nice to meet up with a few people once we’ve done our Gaulfest SOTA activations. Anyone in the world of course can take part in Gaulfest by activating a SOTA summit in their area and working loads of other SOTA stations summit to summit.

Jimmy M0HGY

11 Likes

I’m up for it, depending on which day it ends up being and other family commitments.

If I do get to take part I definitely want to include a visit to Mr Bun!

1 Like

I’m up for it Jimmy. Mind you, I guess you’re relying on me being up for it so you can have a lift…

(This will be a historical joint activation for us as I suspect it will be the first time I pick you up at the start of the day!)

Somewhat conveniently and unusually, I haven’t yet activated 4 of the Shropshire 5 yet in 2023. So we’re spoilt for choice - or could even cash in on MW-013, WB-003 and WB-005 before the afternoon meet.

4 Likes

Hi Jimmy, I’ll join in again if possible. Some uncertainty for me at the moment…

Adrian
G4AZS

2 Likes

Only 20 min drive from my QTH and would be nice to meet some more SOTA enthusiasts - gives me a chance to activate Pole Bank and Caer Caradoc then!

Jared 2E0JFJ

4 Likes

I would be interested too, hopefully we can organise some nice sunny calm weather! I’m located between Shrewsbury and Stretton, so plenty of local summits to choose from.

3 Likes

+1 for a possibility depending on family commitments …

2 Likes

@2E0JFJ Do I detect a callsign upgrade and therefore are congratulations in order? :grinning:

2 Likes

If anyone else is interested in the origin of the name “gaulfest” (which as a French speaker made me think entirely of Asterix :laughing:), I found this:

Gaulfest

2 Likes

I will be visiting family and friends for Xmas in Chester, Manchester & Doncaster. 27th or 28th, if weather and visiting schedule permits I will try to join you guys at least as S2S QSO. I am flying back on 29th.

73 Marek

4 Likes

Thanks James, yes just passed around end of September hence a gap in my SOTA activities hi hi!

Be good to see you hopefully at CS, also open to doing a joint activation if anyone is keen?

2E0JFJ

3 Likes

I’m up for participating in this event. Good idea Jimmy.

Sean M0GIA

1 Like

Excellent news. Well you’re welcome to add yourself to the EYP/HGY programme outlined above - which comes with a free lift - or you can make your own way/organise with others (I think Ray @M1REK is thinking of participating, but making his own way there and setting his own preferred timetable summit choice).

3 Likes

Hi Jimmy,

I’ll be in Majorca with Nic, so I’ll see if I can align a summit climb with your alerts for a S2S. Probably 20m would be best, as that seemed to be the only band I made UK contacts with last year (I managed an S2S with Pete @MW0PJE ).

73, Simon

1 Like

Would anybody care to explain the choice of the “Gaulfest” name? Not many French SOTA regions mentioned so far…

1 Like

Maybe you should read all the posts in the thread Rob?

2 Likes

TLDR.

1 Like

I suspected as much. Allow me to save you the effort - check out post #8.

2 Likes

But they’re not numbered … how do I find “post #8”?

1 Like

1 Like