G/LD-013 (Coniston Old Man); G/LD-028 (Harter Fell) and G/LD-034 (Hardknott)

In the past my strict rule was to fill my bottle from actual springs, after a friend got very ill from drinking river water in Glencoe! THis device looks very convenient!
[/quote]

I always source my unfiltered water from away from watercourses where humans haven’t likely pissed or crapped in or near it. Was your Glencoe River water from downstream of the several car parks ? The whole length from the top down to the Chlachaig is well ‘used’, by humans I guess.
David

The Sawyer water filter is a great gadget, I also carry chlorine dioxide tablets to use if I have to take water from less favourable locations.

The Sawyer can be screwed onto a standard empty soft drink bottle, allowing you to drik straight through the filter.

Also worth looking at Steripens…use UV to sterilise water, with advantage of deactivating viruses as well as bacteria. However, if there is a real risk of viral contamination in the water, you would be best going thirsty in my opinion!

I used to use a Steripen, the main reason I gave it up was the reliance on batteries, the need for an open neck water flask.

Yes, we were wild camping by the Clachaig Inn, I used water flowing down from Sgur nam Fiannaidh and boiled it, he dipped the river! The car parks weren’t so busy in those days, even in the tourist season and this was a late climbing holiday in September, but at the time I blamed it on the cowsheds and farm near Loch Atriochtan.

Brian

Camping at the Clachaig? That was a long time ago. I’ve camped there many a winter’s night, the coldest being winter 1983 - I remember listening to the ice collapsing in the river at night as there was no water left in the river - it was -25c, the coldest winter temp on record in the UK. Woke up the first morning and couldn’t’ get a brew going as the gallon water container had frozen overnight. Then I was struggling to get my wet leather boots on as they too had frozen solid overnight!! I learnt a lot about camping in cold weather that trip!. There was a compensation though - a public toilet nearby which was heated. What a joy on a morning!!

I’ve had a couple of tummy bugs whilst camping out in winter - but I’ve always put it down to inadequately handled/cooked food. Maybe it was the water?

Yes, that was in 1974. After that I used the Red Squirrel campsite, suffering Solly’s 0700 tent visits to collect his 10p, or his barn or bunkhouse if I fancied some luxury.

1 Like

I think the Red Squirrel had a couple of run down caravans you could use too? If so, 3 of us clubbed together one winter and went upmarket and stayed in one for a while. We got headaches on the morning. This we put down to excess of alcohol until we realised it was the free-standing gas heater which was supplied to warm the 'vans up.

We were extremely fortunate it didn’t end badly! We took more care after that and didn’t leave the heater on when we were asleep!

That must be quite something Brian. We didn’t get away with the tent either this year and missed the joy of sleeping out in the open air… though you’d probably pour scorn on our current set up - 6 man tent (for 2 of us), porch area for cooking and storage, tables, chairs, camp beds, duvets… even carpets. :grin:

1 Like

To James M7SDO -
When I return to Shining Tor in the next couple of months, do try & contact me! 73 John G0MHF

Yeah but how would you even know?

I suppose I mean that I would generally only take water from above any permanent habitation.

1 Like

You wouldn’t.

Some people get paranoid about water. The simple truth is that the only water free from bacteria, virus, and/or mineral contamination is distilled water. It can be sobering to look at the source of the water supply for the campsites, bunkhouses, bothies, climbing huts etc used by hill walkers. The Newlands Valley hut, for instance, pipes water fom high up a gully to an open topped tank about 30 metres uphill from the hut. Some of the water in the gully flows from an abandoned copper mine adit, and likely contains copper, lead and arsenic. The water used at the old Mercian MC hut was piped from a small stream flowing off a sheep pasture, and you wouldn’t have to search long to find sheep bones on that pasture. I think it is safe to say that none of these campsites and dwellings use a supply filtered in any way. Nor do the farms in the area!

I’m not advocating a cavalier attitude to drinking water, we need to follow simple precautions, but not be paranoid.

2 Likes

When I return to Shining Tor in the next couple of months, do try & contact me! 73 John G0MHF

Thanks John, I will be listening out! You were strong here so I’m hopeful you might hear me.

M7SDO, I’ve seen you spotting me with the Jodrell Bank WebSDR too - thanks! - please do keep spotting people, it’s helpful to get the word out, especially in winter. Did you know you can record and download audio with the WebSDR? 2E0CSS emailed me a recording of my MG activation which was most appreciated.

Blockquote
M7SDO, I’ve seen you spotting me with the Jodrell Bank WebSDR too - thanks! - please do keep spotting people, it’s helpful to get the word out, especially in winter. Did you know you can record and download audio with the WebSDR? 2E0CSS emailed me a recording of my MG activation which was most appreciated.

Thanks Richard. Yes, I’ve tried the recording feature on the WebSDR - brilliant. Will give it a try. Looks like there are going to be several activators close to me today, will try for my first QSO!