G England Lockdown

It was very cold but I surprised myself by sticking it out for the full 3.5 hours. 124 QSOs made on 2m on tonight’s activation.

7 Likes

follow the rules as they are? they contradict themselves and have bad old science supposedly backing them up.

The current rules on permitted travel state that it is acceptable, “to spend time or exercise outdoors - this should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)”.

Seems reasonable to me provided we limit travel to our local summit(s). Some will be more fortunate than others.

5 Likes

Here are your English Lockdown Questions answered. Print this out and carry it with you so you can refer to it at any time.

Q. Can I … ?
A. No

Q. Well, can I … ?
A. No

Q. Err, maybe I can … ?
A. No

Travel to Barnards Castle for eye tests is always permitted.

5 Likes

Tonight I’m going to dischage the battery to storage voltage. I am very lucky to live in the hills with a 560m summit walkable from the door and less than 2km away - just not a p150 summit, so I feel that I would struggle to explain why I needed to go anywhere in a car to access open space. (The boundary of open land again less than 400m from the door). I could play the “Barnard Castle” card - (all routes to Barnard castle are available, but don’t pass GO or collect £200) but as that is the nearest town and there are no summits on the way there It isn’t that useful.
So once again my SOTA activations are off so back to fantasy activations and pondering over maps for when it is over.
(PS Son’s driving test off too so more months of being driven around the Roundabouts of Darlington to look forward to…)
(PS should this post be in the “Depressions on the Air” thread?)

1 Like

Good to work you during the UKAC, Tom. My feet were pretty chilly in the back of my car (with the window open for the feeder and Armstrong rotator). There was ice on the Moxon when I packed up, so you did well doing the whole thing out in the open air! Excellent signal into the West Mids.

1 Like

No doubt highly belov’d government minister Michael People-in-this-country-have-had-enough-of-experts Gove will give his unscientific opinion on the duration of journeys and exercise as he did during the first UK lockdown.

Right on cue!

2 Likes

They are on top of their game.

2 Likes

I’ve just had another look at the guidance on the gov.uk website. The wording has been updated and clarified. It now states that travel is permitted to exercise or spend time outdoors. The mention of “essential journeys” has gone, but it does say “you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make”.

My compliance with both the letter and the spirit of this will probably see me restrict my SOTA activations to The Cloud G/SP-015, which lies within my home authority of Cheshire East. This will be to exercise and spend time outdoors. My number of journeys - and mileages covered - will be significantly lower.

Moreover, I’ll be observing social distancing and good hand hygiene as I have been for months. I’ll be keeping myself (and others) safe and Covid secure through the distancing, including sensible selection of operating spots.

Of course, as some will know, I’ve recently recovered from an unpleasant couple of weeks ill with Covid-19. This wasn’t caught out on the hills; it was caught in the home QTH from my XYL, who contracted it (we assume) from an outbreak at her place of work. I admit to being a little apprehensive about returning to my work as a school supply teacher next week, but not at all from a familiar 20 minute drive and spending some time alone in the fresh air on a local hill!

3 Likes

Except the trigpoint and all points East of it are in Staffordshire Moorlands :wink:

1 Like

More to the point, they are on top of ours!

Yes I know. Fortunately the more satisfying routes from Dial Lane (near the Bridestones), Timbersbrook or straight up the north face from the crossroads are all within Cheshire East UA.

Get him to take you to BC for a change then Paul :wink:

Alternatively G/TW-002 isn’t that far away.

1 Like