G England Lockdown

Deleted.

Yes,Tom - glad you are able in Covid recovery mode to make it up to your Office. Too late and too far for 80m unfortunately for UK to hear the mainland stations. I listened for them all as I have worked HB9BIN and DL1CR an hour or so before after it has come light. Couldn’t hear the LA station who came on either - that should have been possible I thought - nil hrd. Late afternoon is a possible, but by then the SOTA activators in EU will be in full darkness and probably heading home. The chaser log will be thinner in November due to varous country restrictions I would wager. Never mind, let’s look forward to 2021 and an answer to our worldwide problem hopefully. Not seeing many spots yet from USA today, first one I see coming in 1518z KF7NP 13345 KHZ - no chance!

73 Phil

1 Like

Surely it will be the same as the arrangements SOTA has for Wales. We’ve been in lockdown for 9 days now.
73 John MW0XOT

This question is a derivation of Betteridge’s Law and just like in Betteridge’s examples, the correct answer to an ambiguous question starting with “Surely” is always “NO.”

1 Like

It’s a devolved issue. Looking at the level of coordination between the rules for Wales and those for England so far, I would go as far as to suggest that surely it will not be the same!

Great to work you on 80m today John @MW0XOT.

1 Like

And don’t do any DIY either.

There was an increase in DIY admissions last lockdown as eager, but incompetent DIYers had accidents.

2 Likes

According to RoSPA, the most common location for accidents to happen is in the home… perhaps we should get out more :rofl:

(Not really…)

2 Likes

Thanks for QSOs this morning Tom on 80m I didn’t know about the LF Flavour challenge how long is running for?

Cheers
Graeme

Yeah, good to catch you Graeme.

The 80m-160m Flavour is valid 1st to 7th November. Any chases (or activation QSOs) you log on 80m or 160m this week will automatically score you credit in the 2020 Challenge table.

https://www.sotadata.org.uk/en/challenges/2020/chaser

I see you’re in the list!

1 Like

Here in the States things are mostly back to normal. What the news is reporting and what is actually occurring are very different. There are many people being tested so the positive rates are higher. 98% of those who test positive have no or very minor symptoms. Also the “normal seasonal flu” has apparently been eradicated on this side of the pond! Wishing you well from America!

3 Likes

I see the guidance has been updated to permit travel for “exercise, if you need to make a short journey to do so” so those with a local summit at least will be OK :slight_smile:

Whether there will be further advice on how long a “short journey” is we’ll have to wait and see…

USA daily deaths today (7-day average) 823.7, about 30% of peak and not falling.

On deaths normalized by population UK overtook USA a couple of weeks ago, hence the new lock-down.

Source:

Our World in Data Covid tracker

Not “media” but an Oxford outfit:

Our World in Data and the SDG-Tracker are collaborative efforts between researchers at the University of Oxford, who are the scientific editors of the website content; and the non-profit organization Global Change Data Lab, who publishes and maintains the website and the data tools that make our work possible. At the University of Oxford we are based at the Oxford Martin Programme on Global Development.

1 Like

What? Cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are rising rapidly. We are in the middle of a second wave bigger than the first and getting worse. As Dr. Anthony Fauci said, “We’re in for a whole lot of hurt. It’s not a good situation. […] All the stars are aligned in the wrong place as you go into the fall and winter season, with people congregating at home indoors. You could not possibly be positioned more poorly.”

Positivity rates should go DOWN with more testing. Counts go up, but rates go down, because more testing means testing people with less severe symptoms or no symptoms. If the positivity rate stays high with more testing, it means there is a large pool of infected, uncounted people beyond those tested. North Dakota has a positivity rate of 46%, which means that COVID-19 is ripping through the population like a prairie fire.

Things aren’t even close to normal in states that are taking proper precautions. Our Scouts haven’t gone camping in nine months. We have two new members that I’ve only met online.

wunder

4 Likes

What’s ambiguous in my post, which was rhetorical?

There must be an oxymoron in there somewhere!! :slightly_smiling_face:

No doubt highly belov’d government minister Michael People-in-this-country-have-had-enough-of-experts Gove will give his unscientific opinion on the duration of journeys and exercise as he did during the first UK lockdown.

1 Like

I certainly do not want to cause any anxiety here!

This is my own personal view of current situation in USA and giving a boots on the ground report! My wife is a healthcare professional BSRN and we have lots of Doctors, nurses who are friends. My Best friends brother is a Doctor who is also a friend. I have had many discussions with them concerning the Virus. When the CV19 first presented itself this spring the local media was reporting overwhelmed hospitals in our area. We were scared! But in the end there was no such thing. The reporting verses actual trusted sources in the trenches did not jive. At least in Northern, Ohio. I do think that for certain groups of people the CV19 is a serious concern! I will also mention, I travel across the USA 2 weeks out of a month. I’ve been to Texas, Pennsylvania, Colorado, South Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Florida, New Jersey in the last 2 weeks. A competitor company has 1000+ pilots who do exactly what I do (hotels, Ubers, restaurants etc “higher risk environments”) there was 12, CV19 cases so far in that group with all thankfully recovered and healthy. I can say with certainty the USA (except for certain select high populated areas) is back in business. I think masks in public and good sanitary practices are wise for ourselves and fellow man.

My intent is not to minimize the seriousness of the virus. As an American I find it interesting the way Europe is responding.

You really boomed into Dewsbury today Tom a rarety in itself But thanks for the point. That echoing was I discovered was because my peanut mike was turned on.so thanks for pointing it out.
Best 73

1 Like

Back to good old 2m FM tonight!

It’s the Tuesday night contests, FM 1900-1955 and SSB 2000-2230. I probably won’t stick out the the full period of the main UKAC unless conditions and activity are really good, as it looks like it’s going to be a bitterly cold night. I will prioritise the FMAC though as I am well placed in the 2020 series of that and there’s no guarantee that /P will be allowed in the December (final) session (due to the G lockdown).

It being a contest, I won’t be self-spotting, but the contest frequencies to search are 145.200 - 145.400, or more likely down on 144.525 - 144.775 FM.

The wx here is horrendous right now but forecast to be dry later - fingers crossed!

You activators are either very brave or crazy but I have to admire you all for your get up and go…good luck Tom and anyone else who is braving the elements.

Best 73

1 Like