ft817

Hi all
I am after some advice. I have an FT817 and I am hoping to use it a lot more out and about. I am disabled and use an electric scooter so sadly not necessarily up summits but hopefully /m.
I am looking for a way to carry the radio and I would like some opinions from FT817 users. I have been thinking of a carry case that would go across my chest or perhaps a “bum bag” type bag. I have seen this online www.powerportstore.com/Worldpouch%20AR.htm The company also sell a power pack. It all looks very good but isn’t particularly cheap once shipping is thrown in. Alternatively panniers are available for scooters/wheelchairs that go across one arm of the scooter. The radio may well be ok in something like that. Does any use anything else, or have any thoughts ideas? Any wheelchair users out there who have any alternatives?
I am also after replacement batteries/power for the rig. I have several old SLA batteries that will do the job but they are heavy. I could do the “green wire mod” and replace the batteries or get a ready made pack and change the connector. I know batteries get discussed a lot, but whats considered to be the best option with the least amount of work and weight?
Thanks all
Quentin GW3BV

In reply to GW3BV:

Hi, Quentin, do you know that Yaesu do provide a leather (or leatherish) carry case for the 817, it slips over the rig and has apartures for the mike and rear antenna, the positions of other sockets are marked so that they can be punched out if necessary. It costs about £20. The strap that comes with the rig goes on seperately and can be adjusted so that the rig hangs on your chest at a convenient height.

Somewhere there is a list of summits suitable for disabled access, I will look for it later (breakfast calls!) but somebody else may remember where it is.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Somewhere there is a list of summits suitable for disabled access, I
will look for it later (breakfast calls!) but somebody else may
remember where it is.

Try this Brian

Mike G4BLH

In reply to GW3BV: Try a good angling emporium. They sell gear for use in a similar environment to which we operate. Also, you may find a palm-top or small lap-top bag would do the job

Regards, Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN

In reply to GW3BV:

Or try a camera bag. I used to use a rucksack designed for carrying an SLR camera. It had lots of adjustable compartments.

Might be an avenue not previously explored.

Good luck

John
M0EAV

In reply to GW3BV:

Aldi recently had an 817 sized fishing bag on offer - our branch still has some stock. I didnt buy one as Id need a bigger one for the linear :wink:

In reply to G4BLH:

Try this Brian

burtonarc.co.uk - Informationen zum Thema burtonarc.

Mike G4BLH

That’s the bunny, Mike, thanks!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Hi all. Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn’t thought of a fishing type bag. I shall have a look around. I have seen the Yaesu case but I wasn’t sure it looked particularly tough.
I’m not sure I’ll be activating anytime soon, but hopefully finding a location thats better suited for chasing!
Any thoughts on batteries and power?
Cheers
Q GW3BV

In reply to GW3BV:

Even with the 817’s voracious appetite for current compared to other QRP radios, your scooter’s batteries may be the ideal power supply. Especially as you’re carrying them about “for free”!

Andy
MM0FMF

My concern is to protect my FT817, so that it can be carried in my rucksack all day with no damage occurring. I found a quality hard plastic case from Farnell that was the right size. It has a foam insert in which I cut outlines for all the kit including external battery and lead, so it is kept in place and doesn’t rattle. It is also convenient knowing I have all my kit, except antenna and mast.

On the other hand, I have scratched the metalwork of the FT817 on a rock while operating, so perhaps a leather case would also be useful as well.

See http://uk.farnell.com/hofbauer/sg32412/case-technobag/dp/3948766

I was less sucessful with this approach with my FT-857; a suitable case is so much larger, and the foam not strong enough to hold it.

Thanks

Richard
G0IBE

In reply to G0IBE:

I’ve always been outraged at the price of a radio soft case but soon learned that it was a necessary evil. (*)

My 1st new radio when I was licenced 20 years ago was an FT470. That cost so many arms and legs I didn’t buy the soft case. Within a few months it was quite marked and scratched and whilst I later bought the case the damage was done. Keeping radios in a case means that should come to sell it then it should be in much better condition that without. You also need to accept the case is expendable. They do wear out if you use the radio a lot. But having do but another soft case is probably better than trying to buy replacement case panels etc. In the end should result in a resale value greater than the cost of the case.

Since then I’ve bought cases about £150 worth of cases. Outrageous but a fact of life. The dealers make a hefty margin on the accessories because as buyers we have all screwed the dealers to lower the price on the big items!

I always buy a soft case now. My 817 was 2nd hand but came with a case as was mint. The 817 soft case isn’t waterproof or padded. But it does protect the radio from the majority of minor knocks they get when your 817 is out portable. In the rucksack I place my 817 in its case into a plastic bag made from bubble wrap that wraps over twice. This has the advantage of providing significant impact protection and making it water proof. It also doesn’t cost anything and is lightweight!

I’d love to find a softcase for my old Icom X21AT 23cms handy. The original was from 1992-ish and has disintegrated due to exposure to sunlight. I’ve been looking for nearly 2 years and not found one yet.

(*) I don’t have a soft case for my VX-170. That’s because its case is made from the same indestructible material they embedded Han Solo inside in Star Wars! I’ve said it before, you can knock tent pegs into frozen ground with a VX-170 and as long as you are careful, you won’t damage the tent pegs! It’s not justified eiether as my VX-170 was so cheap, a case would be near 25% the cost of the radio!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
A bit off-topic - what are the physical dimensions of the IC-X21AT Andy?
The case for the Kenwood TH-D7E is much larger than the radio, wondering whether it would fit in one of those…

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

57W x 125H x 35D

All the sockets I need to access are on the top plate. Just the PTT and the Moni/Funct/Light buttons on the side.

Here’s a pic of the 2m/70cms W21. The X21 is the same but 70cms/23cms.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I’ll check the case tonight - it’s more a ‘carry case’ than one to use when operating. Well padded. RigPix Database - Kenwood/Trio - TH-D7E(2.0) Not possible to operate all the radio buttons when radio in case, but OK to use with spk/mic. etc. I’d photograph it, but you’d have to wait for the film to be developed…

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:
Andy, max height of radio to ensure case flap will close is around 15cm.
My TH-D7E has the belt clip fitted so is approx 40mm deep. Case internal width is approx 64mm. Radio is free to slide in/out with no problem. Plenty of space for your Icom, just a question of finding a case.
Alternatively some of the ‘holster’ type cases may well be large enough, try the W. Midlands people (at Brettel Lane?) - their ads are usually on a yellow backgound, but can’t remember the name (memory is going).

73 Graham G4FUJ
(Waiting for an FT-911 and a dual band Icom with 23cm to come from a pal in the USA)

Remembered: Haydon Communications

In reply to GW3BV:
Back to your other question Quentin (and apologies for the diversion) I have two Ni-MH packs of 2Ah that fit in the FT-817. One is my rebuilt original Yaesu NiCad pack (rebuilt by Strike a Light) the other was an extra I purchased from W&S (and is actually built by Strike a Light). I have found they last a reasonable amount of time. For longer use, a 5Ah SLAB is a backup. They’re ex-computer UPS - we get through a lot of them at work, so I’m happy to use them until they will no longer charge up as they’re free!

73 Es Gud luck with the mobile/portable operating
Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

I have done the green wire mod on the battery holder and have a set of 2Ah NiMH cells in it, they lasted for six hours on receive when I tried them out, and should be more than enough for the average activation.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Brian,
The Green wire mod is evidently significant. What have I missed?
Thanks,
Rod

In reply to G0IBE:

My FT-817 case is a 2.5l Lock&Lock lunchbox. The radio in a bubblewrap just fits in and there is a space left for a power cable, mike, key or headphones and other small stuff. The container isn’t crackproof so now and then I have to mend it with a duct tape.

Marek OK9HAG

In reply to M0JLA:
The battery box is wired so that you cannot try and recharge the dry cells that it is intended for. Cutting and insulating the green wire on the battery box enables you to recharge NiCds or NiMHs that you put in the box in the same way that you recharge a bettery pack.

Brian G8ADD