FT8 on a summit without a laptop

Yes, I guess you were wanting a suitable app to run ft8. I don’t know of one but I don’t try to run ft8 either.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

1 Like

£13.20 for replacements on eBay.

Yes Andy,

The screen is cheap but replacement is not always trouble free. If you do it yourself you might make a small error and the tablet never works again.

I had my cracked screen on my smart android phone replaced at a shop in town and it worked well for a couple of weeks but whenever I received a phone call the screen went black. It’s hard to poke the right part of the screen to do much after that.

It’s fine if I don’t use my phone as a phone.

There is a message to be read when the manufacturer glues the gadget together instead of using screws.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

I can’t imagine Tom even considering replacing a screen himself. He’s well aware of the limitations of his skillset - he’s also in the field with no access to his extensive lab facilities (the kitchen table and a hammer).

5 Likes

In other news, I used my homemade 30m “monster” quarterwave vertical with groundplane on the first summit yesterday, and it’s still working perfectly.

3 Likes

You nailed it!

Well he could buy one and persuade someone to fit it for him Richard.

2 Likes

What a princely scheme!

I’d be more interested in a JS8call app for android, that would have some potential for SOTA!

3 Likes

Tom,

I’m of the tablet clan. I prefer it to a notebook computer which was my preference but32 bit XP is not considered viable any more. And as I predicted, W10, the only Operating System I would ever need, has been replaced and in such a way that a lot of AR programs fall over.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The phone screen is too small to see the whole set of decodes. Even with a 10 inch tablet I have trouble poking the right place on the screen. Gotta add a mouse.

A refurbished tablet might be a better purchase for you.

Or as you say, CW.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

We had an afternoon out in Scotland’s newest city and original capital Dunfermline yesterday. We enjoyed it and would recommend it.

While there, I enquired in several phone/tablet repair shops about fixing the screen on my Fusion 5 tablet. Some places said they couldn’t do it, some said they could, but not today. One place could do it today - for £75.

As such, I have ordered the kit off eBay. Fortunately I have a good friend Sean @M0GIA who has done this stuff professionally, so I’ll try to attempt the repair at a point when Sean is available to sit alongside me!

The main reason for wanting to get it done in a shop was so I would have it for remaining activations on this holiday, but I’ve rather enjoyed being “restricted” to CW and SSB - like the old days!

2 Likes

I went ahead and purchased the app today $14.99 AUD and tried it out.
I have the app running on a Samsung Tab A tablet using a SignaLink interface via an OTG cable and the DATA port on my FT817ND.

I was ‘talking’ with myself using two different call signs and my normal laptop/FTDX3000 FT-8 station. Both radios were transmitting about 2 Watts into dummy loads next to each other. I had to use 28 MHz to get sufficient signal strength between them.

The user interface is clunky and it will take some practice to get the QSOs to flow in a reasonable manner. The ADIF log didn’t log all the QSOs but this may have been because they were on the same band between the same stations and sequential.
I’m going to take it to a summit tomorrow and try it there on 40m and 20m and see how it goes.

5 Likes

Today I activated Briarty Hill VK3/VC-029 and made 5 QSO on FT8 with this app.
The user interface and the workflow for QSOs is different to WSJT-X but, like all things new, I’ll get used to it.

Certainly carrying the 8" tablet was much easier than the laptop I took out last weekend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

IC-705 owners can do FT8 using the SDR-Control app for iPad. It works very well via WiFi, I used it on my very first SOTA activations a few weeks ago.

5 Likes

Elecraft & iPhone can use this,

Mark KD7DTS, has recently posted a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV_YUEA8z7Y

Where he describes how to connect Elecraft rigs to a handheld device (Android/ios) using only TRRS to 2X TRS cables and new iFTx app for iOS.

It works fabulous with my KX3 and iP SE 22.

1 Like

go to the end

1 Like

Hi Jakub,
Have you also seen SOTACAT which can do a similar job:
Notice for SOTAMAT users - Online Resources / Third Party Software - SOTA Reflector
73 Ed.

1 Like

Although I have not tested it on a summit yet, I came up with an all-in-one portable solution for digital modes (see images below) using a 7.5 inch touch screen which has mounts on the back for a Raspberry Pi along with a QDX and an 11000mAh battery, and designed the base to fit in a case that is available on Amazon. I did some testing with it in my backyard using JS8call and some great success. I hope to test it out in the field soon!

3 Likes