FT8 on a summit without a laptop

Lars gave me the idea of using FT8 on the summit. I don’t really like the digital modes that much, nor do I feel like taking a laptop with me on the mountain.
Now there’s an Android app that can do FT8: FT8 Radio
The first test without a cable connection only via audio was successful
73 Chris

7 Likes

@DL1CR It looks like I’ll be searching for an android phone next… not that I like to operate on FT8, but Android seem to offer all the good radio apps, e.g. VK port-a-log etc etc. My Iphone does nothing :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The best is not always the best :thinking:
Best wishes, Ben :beers:

1 Like

Fyi, the WSPR App for the iPhone does have a transmit function and once again, it can be used just with audio (i.e. without wires). I’ve only tried it without VOX so it did require careful timing if you PTT by hand.

73, Lea M0XPO

2 Likes

no Morse Expert, no echolink, no RemoteHams RC-Forb, …

2 Likes

Err… Yes there is an EchoLink App for iPhone & it’s still free!

I don’t use it much but have just checked it & it still works okay.

73, Lea M0XPO

Lea, I didn’t know that, sorry
73 Chris

No worries. I’m gearing up to learn morse and have a few free Apps to amuse myself with:

i) ‘MorseKey’ is an Iambic key that you can practice on but it doesn’t have an tutorials so is a bit lame;
ii) ‘MorseMania’ has a game/play facility but it dosen’t appear to be the Koch method;
iii) ‘Morse Coach’ was my favourite but it is no longer available/supported for iPhone (I do dislike it when a good App is removed :frowning: )

On my laptop (Win), I use G4FON’s Koch Trainer.

73, Lea M0XPO

2 Likes

I can use my iPhone via VNC with my QDX transceiver & Raspberry pi4 for FT8. I find Outd log for iPhone works great too.

1 Like

For a paid for app intended for use in the field I’d expect it to be able to use the phone audio jack and support /P callsigns.
Maybe they will add it soon. It looks promising once a few more features have been added.

I might still give it a try to see how useful it is and how it affects battery life.

The clock/sync setting using the GPS is a really good idea. I tend to tune to 14.074 and hit the Sync button in JTDX until it starts decoding.

2 Likes

Before I fork out $16.99 and find it won’t do what I want, can anyone report in more detail on using this app? Specifically:

• Does it allow customising messages, or just the standard out-of-the-box FT8 QSO?
2 Likes

Hi Peter

If it can use the speaker/mic it will be able to use the phone jack too

The only problem sometimes it that the phone has to see credible resistances on the mic and phone contacts so it can work out what is plugged in. BUt a couple of resistors will usually solve that.

Would be nice if there was a limited free version to try

Cheers
Rick

1 Like

DigitalRadioReceiverSupport/NewApp at master · kholia/DigitalRadioReceiverSupport · GitHub may answer your questions.

1 Like

Yes, of course. I split the mic input and audio output on the 4pin 3.5mm jack of the phone and connect it directly to the phone and mic jack of my kx2. It works fine. Don’t connect the ppt on the mic jack of the kx2 and use the vox.
But there are a lot of trx, that can be driven over the usb port, I guess.
73 Chris

1 Like

Dhiru, VU3CER is working hard at this app, I got an update today. See this

Planned Features / Future Ideas

• [CORE] Add support for special callsigns.Examples: LW8EUA/A, LW8EUA/H, VU3CER/P

I use a 10” Fusion 5 Windows 10 tablet for my FT8 SOTA operating. I also use it to keep my log up-to-date using Google Sheets when I’m away from home - and even as a portable workstation for emergency transcriptions of bass parts on gigs (using Musescore 3).

When I got the tablet out of the rucksack this afternoon after returning from this morning’s GM/SS activations, imagine my distress upon seeing a great big curving crack across the screen!

I tested it - it still works with the Bluetooth keyboard, so I could still update my log - but the touchscreen isn’t having any of it. That’s a problem with efficient operating of FT8 on a summit. There could be a workaround with a USB hub and a wired mouse, but it’s hardly elegant.

So now looking out for screen repair shops on my travels. There’s a couple in Berwick that I might try first thing in the morning if I’m ahead of schedule with my packing, but otherwise I’ll be looking around Fife next week. Tomorrow is moving day which is a bit inconvenient!

Ultimately I might have to focus entirely on legacy modes … :hushed:

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. I had looked at that and the implication is ‘probably not’, but details are not clear enough to say one way or the other, so the question remains open.

1 Like

Sotagoat on iphone and ipad is an excellent alerting, spotting and summit finding app. I use it on nearly every activation, just over 500 activations to date.
Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

5 Likes

That’s what I currently use @VK1DA Andrew. Works really well for spotting and alerting! :blush:

1 Like

SOTA spotter for Android has some nice features with good notification filtering and a very useful facility to read out callsigns aloud. Unfortunately there is often an unpredictable lag in notification resulting in the phone speaking the callsign and summit reference of someone who has just packed up. To be fair, this may be my phone settings rathe than the App.

1 Like