FT-817 soft carry case

As I am using my 817 more now, I decided to invest in the Yaesu soft case. It sits well proud of the back of the radio due to the radio rear panel shape and makes using the connectors on the back difficult to say the least. It’s not a great fit at the front either. Is it me or is the design rather poor?

Questions:

1. What is the side pocket for?
  2. What is the loop for?

Agreed Richard.

1. The side pocket is for the 6m extension piece, or the shorter 2/70 piece when using 6m, of the stock antenna perhaps?
  2. I have no idea

Al M1FHM

1 Like

I never used mine, but the loop makes me think of a way to manage a hanging mike.

1 Like

…could be!

I’ve got one because it was thrown in with the deal for the radio. Tried it once and it’s been under the shack bench gathering dust ever since…

2 Likes

I’m another sucker who bought the case and found it very attractive looking but quite useless! I also assumed that the side poclet is for the rubber duck extension, and the loop is to hold the mike, but the press stud comes apart at the slightest pull like catching on a bush, and the mike hits the ground. The case got used once and is now gathering dust!

1 Like

There are several versions. I have one which is about 18years old. I had to cut out the panels to allow the rear connectors to be accessed without removing the case. It is made from a soft vinyl material like most handy soft cases and is quite floppy. The other one is probably 12 years old and is made from a tougher vinyl that almost feels like leather. This is rigid and the cut outs were already there but are edged with stitching, i.e. provided not user selected. It also has a built in stand to prop up the front of the radio. I use this second one on my activations.

I’ll be happy to receive donations of unwanted cases, I’ll even pay your postage.

3 Likes

Is the loop meant to prevent the case from falling-off (it’s a tight fit, I don’t think it can happen easily)?

Case
Anyway, same here, I liked the case until I started playing with a small amplifier and digital modes. I cut out the panels but it’s still very inconvenient to plug things in and out (even the antenna connector…)

2 Likes

No that’s on the front and is easy :wink:

1 Like

You’re supposed to cut out the bits on the back that cover the sockets you will be using. So in my case, that’s all of them!

The case is still decent protection from bumps and scratches while in the rucksack (in which it then sits inside a drybag - the screen is protected too, importantly). Or if it is accidentally knocked off a rucksack onto the ground while operating. If it starts to rain, you have a few extra seconds of protection while you seek shelter for your gear (and yourself).

I recognise the shortcomings mentioned, but the positive benefits of the case still far outweigh the issues - certainly for a very frequent all-weather activator like me! I’d never be without one. Like @MM0FMF, I’ll happily pay postage if it helps any of you that don’t like them to get rid!

2 Likes

I paid the extra £19.99 for my case in 2001, the ATX Walkabout antenna was thrown in for free. I think I used the antenna once, for a 6m SSB QSO with an Italian ham in electric handbag mode.

I like the case, it has kept my FT817 looking pristine over the 19 years of ownership (crikey those years have clocked up!)

73, Colin

3 Likes

My binocular (7X50) case was a perfect fit for my FT-817

73, Barry N1EU

1 Like

Hi Richard,
As has been said, the loop is to hold the leather-like case to the rig.
I used the side pocket to hold the VHF antennas/extensions - which I never used.

What I found really annoying is the plasticy-cardboardy piece inside at the bottom of the case. This needed to be flexed about a lot until I could get it to allow my FT817 to fit completely into the case giving access to whichever rear sockets you have enabled by cutting them out of the leather. Without this piece of whatever-it-was in, the 817 dropped nicely into the case but I guess it was meant to be there for case strength, so you need to flex it to make it a little wider otherwise it holds the radio about 1/2" from the bottom of the case.

73 Ed.

I leave the power lead connected all the time, having read that the socket (or its connection to the PCB) is prone to damage with repeated plugging in and out.* The Palm paddle lead also stays connected, though it is a home made one with a right angle jack which doesn’t protrude far. The soft case then protects these connections well enough.
The ft817 and microphone are then carried in a dry bag in the rucksack. As others have said, the carry case protects it from scratches etc.

• Don’t leave the power lead connected to an FT818, I think this will discharge the internal battery…for reasons that escape me at present!

The small pocket on the side holds the Key lead when not in use…

I find the loop handy to thread the mic cable through helps to stop getting it pulled out from the 817 connector!!
Tony G7OEM

Adrian by chance you have explained why the internal battery in my FT818 keeps ending up flat despite not having been used,

You have to wonder at Yaesu’s thought processes sometimes.

I’m not surprised by the negative comments.

You have to ask what’s your intended purpose for the bag. If it’s just to protect the 817/8 inside your rucksack during your hike, there are much cheaper options: I stow my 817 in either a polythene bag with bubble wrap taped inside or a waterproof Karrimor 5l dry bag (I trap air inside with the 817 before making the top airtight to provide padding).

For ages I’ve been looking for a reasonably-priced ‘summer VHF/UHF lite’ operating bag by which I mean where I can operate pedestrian mobile on 2m/70cm SSB/FM [with e.g. a RH770 vertical] or stationary with the 817 still in the bag for quick-deployment. I previously used an 8/12L rucksack but it’s too deep to access the 817 front panel easily.

I came across G0ISW’s website and his recommended solution …

I got mine from Amazon a few months ago for about £28 [it’s gone up three quid since then] and have used it for many portable operations. The rear lower pocket is just [only just] large enough to house a 4Ah LiPo and the 817 with the plugs from the mic, external earphone and Morse key plugged in. The smaller rear pocket above is large enough to store the mic, earphone and a small key during transit.

The main pocket is at least twice the volume so good for everything else (like my folding J-pole, inflatable seat cushion, notepad, food, etc).

You can insert a small diameter telescoping pole on one side and secure it with two Velcro straps. There’s a pocket for water bottle on the other. The bag can be carried with one or two shoulder straps.

73 Andy

1 Like

And how! I was warned about this by John GW4BVE after I got mine as I arrived in his shack just as he was effecting a repair on his 817 power connector. Subsequently I made sure that the power lead cannot move and I have had no problems in the 14 years I’ve owned the rig.

My 817 has always lived inside its carry case even though it has additional protection in the form of a plastic box. The box has connectors for Mic, PTT, Key, Headphones and RF all mounted on it with leads to connect to the rig so there is no wear and tear on the rig whatsoever. Connecting the various elements of the station is very easy, but that would not have been the situation had I just kept the rig just in its carry case. Flying leads in whatever form certainly help.

1 Like

I’m really surprised with the comments about the rear power connector. A solution to this problem was found (and I think publicised on this reflector) that converts the plug to Powerpoles (SOTAbeams certainly stocked it). In addition GM4COX demonstrated that a right angled plug could be secured to the back of the rig using a “P” clip attached to the earth boss.

Guess problems go round and round

1 Like