FT-817 soft carry case

I use side pocket for pens, which I always misplace. The loop secures case to the straps. The case will get a lot looser after 40-50 summits. Saved my little rig many times.
de n7cnh

And the carry strap has a slot to hold the microphone in whilst you are strolling around

Despite the reported claims these cases are not fit for purpose and despite my offer to pay postage I have yet to receive any requests from people wishing to dispose of their unloved, unwanted cases.

Why is this?

I already gave one of mine away to someone requesting one on a certain online flea market. The other is reserved for protection only when I will be using the radio while on the move. e.g ARDF / foxhunting on foot.
Can you explain the “built in stand to prop up the front of the radio” or post a pic of it in use?

1 Like

Not sure about a ‘built in stand’ but this stand (which clips into the brackets if the strap is removed) used to be available. I acquired this one years ago but I never use it.

1 Like

There’s no Yaesu logo or embossed name so maybe this is not a Yaesu case.

1 Like

I can only speak for myself Andy, but I never dispose of anything that “might” be useful “one day”. Ask my XYL :rofl:

4 Likes

About the same here.

Regarding FT-817 protection case, I customized a wooden box of red wine bottles some years ago and my rigs (i.e. FT-817ND & MFJ-941B ATU) always live there with all wires preconnected and inside a plastic bag for protection from any unexpected rain shower. The whole pack permanently live inside my rucksack.

Guru

1 Like

But now there’s no room left to carry a bottle of red wine to the summit

My rucksack is pretty small and after the SOTA kit, there’s not much room left for anything else. However there’s some space for a bottle and a sandwich or two. The bottle is usually of water, but it might well be of red wine though.
I always say humans are like gases in the sense that, as gases do, we always take up all the available volume. The bigger the rucksack, the greater amount of stuff, therefore the greater weight we will be carrying. That’s why I think the smaller the rucksack is, the better.
BTW, my wooden box is slightly off-topic because it’s anything but a soft carry case… :wink:
Cheers,

Guru

Why is it we call ourselves “hams,” when “magpies” or “pack rats” might have been more accurate? Again, ask my XYL for confirmation.

If Marie Kondo were a ham, an entire global fixation on tidying up could have been prevented.

1 Like

I don’t like that the case keeps the radio a bit warm under heavy use in the summer, and I don’t like that I cant easily access my windcamp battery hatch switch with the case attached. That being said, after having the power button ripped off while in my backpack as a tourist one day I never put the rig in a backpack without the case on to protect the front.

At least for my use where I don’t care about scratches and I do care about thermal dissipation what I need is simply protection for the front controls/screen and ideally something to protect the mic PTT button from getting jammed only when the radio is in storage or packed away—something easy to remove on the summit.

I wish I had a 3D printed plastic cover that would just slip over the face of the 817.

Tom-N2YTF

I have the leather case. I rarely use it, it is too hot to use the radio in the case, and mostly I have other ways to carry it in my pack. Like the others said, I had to do a bit of cutting to make it the way I wanted it.

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC – El Paso, TX.

The suggestion that the side pocket was for the rubber duck antennas proved to be wrong. It’s far too short. Its intended use remains a mystery.

Transmitters that spark joy were banned a century ago

It cannot be for the full rubber duck, but it is useful for the six metre extension. The cut-out on the top suggests that they expect the RD to stay on the rig when in its carry case.

On mine it is too short for the 6m extension.

This is how I get everything inside the box after the activation:
imagen
And this is the box with the wooden lid on.
imagen

Guru

Very posh Guru! My wine comes in cardboard boxes :clinking_glasses:

Yes, it is too short for mine, too, but the extension piece for the RD provided with my first 817 in 2003 was shorter than the one provided for my 817ND. Mind you, they were both dummy loads on six! :smiley: