FT-817, CW Filter Question

How is it possible to tell if an FT-817 is fitted with the optional CW filter, does it show up in one of the menus?

TIA
73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

does it show up in one of the menus

No. You can set the filter type in the menu whether it is fitted or not.

Check the filter menu is set and then put the radio into CW mode and listen to the noise. Hit the NAR button on the menu and if the noise changes then there is a filter.

Or take the top off (careful of the speaker wires) and have a look.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Menu 7 button C (NAR) activates the filter if one is fitted - you will know if it is fitted by the change in the sound!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Menu 7 button C (NAR) activates the filter if one is fitted

The filter needs to be configured as well as physically fitted.

In reply to M1MAJ:

True, the procedure is on page 74 in the manual, but if you are discovering one in, say, a second-hand rig then its reasonable to assume that it has already been configured.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

True, the procedure is on page 74 in the manual, but if you are
discovering one in, say, a second-hand rig then its reasonable to
assume that it has already been configured.

Unless the seller (or buyer) did a factory reset, which wouldn’t be a totally unreasonable thing to do.

In reply to M1MAJ:

Now that’s a good point, Martin, it had never occurred to me that a reset would deconfigure the filter! I guess then that a visual inspection is the best answer.

Brian G8ADD

Thanks to everyone, mystery solved, the rig is not fitted with a CW filter.

Looking at the manual, this appears to be a pretty simple job though.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

It’s very simple to do Mike. Just make sure you lift the lid off carefully. The loudspeaker is attached to lid and the cable is short. There is a wee plug that lifts off and then you can take the lid away. The filter only fits one way but just check you get the plugs aligned.

The screws are JIS but a Pozi or Philips screwdriver fits. Just take time and you wont scratch the black paint off the screws and nobody will know the case has been off. You may have to slacken the shoulder strap mounts to separate the case.

10 minute job including having a brew!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

…or a stiff single malt to celebrate!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to 2E0YYY:

How is it possible to tell if an FT-817 is fitted with the optional CW
filter, does it show up in one of the menus?

Does this mean you’re planning to do some CW activations soon, Mickey?

:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Does this mean you’re planning to do some CW activations soon, Mickey?

I reckon you would qsy PDQ, if you heard my Morse, Walt :wink:

73 Mickey
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Does this mean you’re planning to do some CW activations soon,
Mickey?

I reckon you would qsy PDQ, if you heard my Morse, Walt :wink:

We all have to start somewhere …

:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

It might be a 10 minute job, but it’s a very expensive job :wink:

I looked into getting a filter, but then bought a new radio instead!

Colin

In reply to M0CGH:
Would anyone want to swap a 500Hz filter for the 300Hz Filter that I have in my 817? Too narrow a band for me.
Also when I was using my straight key and switched in the filter, I lost the side tones. Naturally I switched back to full bandwith PDQ! Is that a normal event? Sidetones and 300Hz filter works fine with the Palm paddle.

David M0YDH

In reply to M0YDH:

In reply to M0CGH:
Would anyone want to swap a 500Hz filter for the 300Hz Filter that I

I picked up a mint 817 couple of days ago and was considering installing a filter and taking it to the Lincoln Hamfest. However, the filters don’t come cheap, David :frowning:

This is a link that I found, when I was looking around yesterday.

http://www.w4rt.com/FT-817-Accessories/filters.htm

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to M0YDH:

Is that a normal event?

No. Cable fault or menu error.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I know you trade for a living Mike but I thought you’d get more by splitting an 817 and its filter and sell them separately.

CW filters go for around £70 second hand.

Andy, MM0FMF
(817 + Collins 300Hz filter)

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I know you trade for a living Mike but I thought you’d get more by
splitting an 817 and its filter and sell them separately.

CW filters go for around £70 second hand.

you’re probably right, Andy. The funny thing is, it looks like this rig has only ever been used by a cw operator. The mic has never been out of the box. That’s why I was surprised to find no filter in it.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

On my FT-817 page (The FT-817 Page) I have details of a CW filter that I obtained direct from the States for $96. That was quite a few years ago, so I don’t know if it is still available. They were being offered by K8DRN whose address is (or was) K8DRN (at) aol.com. M0XPD wrote in his blog that he contacted him just over a year ago and got one for $110 including shipping. Worth a try.