FT-817, CW Filter Question

In reply to G4ILO:

On my FT-817 page (The FT-817 Page) I have details of
a CW filter that I obtained direct from the States for $96.

CW filters is one thing, but the replacement battery packs is another.

I’ve just asked a mate of mine to knock me up a 2900 mAh battery pack up. I did’nt have the suitable heat shrink here to do it. Quite frankly, what the dealers want for a 1400mAh pack, is nothing short of a joke. If I do the green wire mod, will I need to install fuses, Julian?

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

The funny thing is, it looks like this rig has only ever been used by a cw operator.

Mike, some would say the best filter is the grey stuff between your ears. I ran CW for many years without the benefit of a filter for the mode. However, now I’m getting on in years I certainly feel the benefit of one - perhaps the owner was a youngster. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

The funny thing is, it looks like this rig has only ever been
used by a cw operator.

Mike, some would say the best filter is the grey stuff between your
ears. I ran CW for many years without the benefit of a filter for the
mode. However, now I’m getting on in years I certainly feel the
benefit of one - perhaps the owner was a youngster. :slight_smile:

I started to use headphones about 18 months ago, Gerald. Even though I use very lightweight Senheiser HiFi headphones, it took me some time to get used to them for Amateur Radio. Now, I can’t operate without them.

In reply to 2E0YYY:
If I do the green wire mod, will I need to install fuses,

I have run an 817 and later an 817ND since 2003 with the green wire mod but no fuse and had no problem - in fact seven of the original eight cells are still in use, but are now in my cameras as I bought a set of higher power cells recently!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I think it is different operating CW on a summit Mike. Joe Public doesn’t generally understand morse, so the sound they hear is just noise - usually annoying noise! On SSB they have an opportunity to listen to a conversation, so headphones are less of an essential, but I do still use them. I did however, use mine as a loudspeaker for the benefit of a chap I met up on Great Gable on Sunday, but it was an exception rather than the rule. Pleased to say he had a smile on his face when he left the summit. :slight_smile:

Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
I did however, use mine as a loudspeaker for the

benefit of a chap I met up on Great Gable on Sunday, but it was an
exception rather than the rule. Pleased to say he had a smile on his
face when he left the summit. :slight_smile:

Oop’s I’ve managed to edit out a bit of my last post, Gerald. I don’t use heaqdphones on a SOTA activation, simply because the bands are so much cleaner and of course walkers asking questions. On one activation of G/SP-004, a walker spent more than an hour listening and then asked how he went about obtaining a licence.

73 Mike
2E0YYY