Folding@home and Covid-19

You request a passkey via Advanced Control | Configure | Identity. Or you can just go here: Get a Folding@home Passkey. It’s sent to you by e-mail and you copy it into the passkey fields you see there on the identity page.

You want to get a passkey - it’s your “key” to bonus points!

OK Thanks…DONE
Tim - K5DEZ

OK I have figured this out. I had not noticed that I should ask for a passkey and submit it via Advanced Control, so I went back to the original sign up screen and requested it there and added as well, hence the reset. It is not very obvious to a new user that Advanced Control even exists nor where to find it. A lot of what I see in this project is that it is science lead and hence not system interface professional.

I think that’s a fair comment Jim. I treat it as a technical voyage of discovery and am happy enough that they are putting all their efforts into the science. It was a steep learning curve for me too!

First of the summits on the air team to hit 1 million credits - @KI5ITQ great

1 Like

Thank you @G0CQK ! I’ve been looking for a team to join and SOTA seemed like as good as any. Now I just need to do some activations. Doesn’t look like there is much around Austin unfortunately. Wish I would have gotten my ticket when I was living in Seattle…

Jeff

Not sure… I just added a passkey (approx. 30 minutes ago at time of writing) via Advanced Control accessed from the icon in my system tray and my points on the Web Control screen says 0 now too… However my record page accessed by the “stats” link has my points recorded correctly. Hopefully the web control page will catch up eventually!

That makes me feel a bit better about not being able to figure out what’s going on and how to tweak things!

12 hours on and the Web Control page is only showing the points earned by the night’s folding, whereas the Stats Report page is showing the correct all-time total so I guess it is a bug in the Web Control page.

Also discovered that contrary to the documentation, my machine does run the GPU WU when processing power is in “Light” mode, but only when the GPU is “idle” to the point it’s not sending a signal to the monitors.

Update from here is all good.
Heating - Not a problem on my old machine so far. Extractor fans blow out slightly warm air. I also did a 10 year maintenance on the Dell XPS about three months ago. This included thoroughly cleaning out the fans and all the circuit boards and heat sinks
Decided to take another look at power being consumed as it seemed too high to me?
My PC does not seem to be putting out 1000 watts of heat so took an average to be 200 watts from websearch. Unfortunately my Dell XPS 400R is old and a websearch did not cover its power consumption data? I underestimated the cost per unit for electricity in UK too!

So recalculated here is the new estimate for costs per week
PC runs at about 200 watts so maximum cost is about £5.04/per week at UK cost of 15p/KWh electricity)
LED display is included above but I often switch the mains off so nil
So a cost of £5 per week. (Re-calculated)

Until last night I have never seen the GPU side working but it did kick in around 20,000 points or so and this does seem to speed up gaining points but it also means background jobs are more difficult to open quickly (on all 7 CPUs to F@H)

Overall F@H is working quietly in the background and I would hope that others would consider joining in with https://foldingathome.org/ and contribute support for the Covid-19 research analysis. I am over 73 years old (so is my wife Sara) as with many radio amateurs and SOTA associates, and so we are in the vulnerable group. We are advised to isolate indefinitely so ‘activating’ SOTA summits is still only a dream here. Thanks you to all those who are able to get out and provide SOTA ‘chasing’
There seems to be much in common here with contesting and SOTA participation scoring points.

Note, the SOTA team Grand Score was shown as just about 5 million points when I last checked a moment ago.

Fantastic effort. Well done everyone.

1 Like

At last! I’m making a contribution. Hardly worth putting the bunting out but I guess every little helps. Look for me towards the bottom of the team scores - ouch, that reminds me of team games at school.

John
G4YTJ

2 Likes

Expect your points score to pick-up as the F@H system learns your PC operation.

Seems to be a glitch in the points system at the moment - I haven’t been credited with any for WUs completed since the early hours of this morning (approx 30k due according to my reckoning) :frowning:

Yes, Paul, I think you are right. I completed a very large GPU WU at about 12.30am this morning, and expected to see it in my points this morning. So far no change all day regardless of completed WUs. I am sure Martin @M1MAJ should be well ahead of me.

Thanks Jim glad it’s not only me! Hope we get credited when it’s sorted out…

1 Like

Points now all present and correct :slight_smile:

Yes suddenly shot up by an enormous amount
Jim

Yes I noticed that too Paul, Jim and it is doing it again today. Big delay before updating scores.

I completed a CPU WU around 10am this morning and have completed at least two GPU WUs but no change in points all day so far. I have heard on the grape vine that the number of people signing up has been amazing and they have been had to push the scientists for more WU’s, certainly yesterday my laptop made 10 attempts to get a GPU WU Interestingly with no GPU WU my laptop core temperature fell significantly to the extent that it would suggest that most of its heat is from working GPU WU’s, whereas I thought that John @G3WGV pointed to CPU WUs as being the main heat generators. I guess they are a bit overwhelmed by the surge in interest which would account for the delay in crediting points.

Couple of things…

Yes, there is a problem with the score server at the moment but the points are being collected OK. They are aware but it’s pretty low priority because, as Jim says, they are busy keeping up with the demand for WUs. https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=265845 now has the SOTA team on its radar, updated every three hours, so you can get fairly up to date information there. Once the SOTA team has a few more points you will also be able to track individual contributions - I think individuals need about 5M points to appear. You can see how it works by looking at the Club Log page: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=246763

GPUs and CPUs both create heat when they are working. The difference is that in everyday consumer PCs cooling for the CPU is generally not very good because they are hardly ever run flat out for any length of time. GPUs, on the other hand are working pretty hard all the time, so the cooling systems are designed to cope with this. In a laptop the GPU and CPU share the same cooling system, so you can’t differentiate the source of the heat.

Peak WU overload was really a couple of months ago now, when the number of folders doubled almost overnight. For the most part they are now on top of the demand for WUs and none of my systems have been idle for more than an hour for the past couple of weeks at least. Less powerful systems can only really take on small WUs: there are fewer of those being created and more possible takers for those that are.

Unexpected systems crash whilst connected to F@H client appears to have destroyed activity.
I have tried deleting F@H from my system, closing down and re-booting and reloading but no success?
This appears to be the end of my contribution unfortunately? I will try again tomorrow.

Out of interest can someone kindly post my final score as I cannot get in to see it? Thanks
Rob G0HRT