Fit?

Nah. You’re starting from a false premise there. Setting yourself an unreachable goal (unless you just start walking back down more slowly!).

e.g. 1000m descent off Mt Misery last month to South Opuha was 25 mins on mixture of ice/crampons and then free-running scree.

Would not matter how fit I was, I’d never get up that in the same time.

Unless they’ve fitted a ski-lift.

4 Likes

I’d say one is fit as long as the ascent to the summit gets completed and descent to the hiking start point too. Of course, there are several different levels of fitness and the time needed by anyone will be different, but being able to complete ascent and descent makes us join the group of the fit ones, IMHO.
It’s clear that the more we hike, the fitter we become.

Guru

5 Likes

I think there might be a Nasmith variant - 12min / km plus 1 min for every 10 m plusd a pie and beer factor which could be quite large (https://reflector.sota.org.uk/uploads/db9433/original/3X/5/2/5294f10a856f8a096c60e22ad377f378206262a7.jpeg) unders some circumstances… :slight_smile: Paul

3 Likes

Even though I consider myself to be reasonably fit, I still use 15 min/km for general purposes, with 20 min/km for tougher routes. In Galloway, double the result! :rofl:

The hardest task is usually assessing the time between summits where there is not a decent path… have been caught out several times this way, arriving late on the second summit. Weather conditions of course play a significant part unless you are a fair-weather activator.

It’s better to be early and have extra time for a relaxed activation, than late and have to rush it.

3 Likes

“Al que madruga, Dios le ayuda” = He/She who gets up early, gets God’s help.

5 Likes

I have my mapping software with the following:
5kph for flat good ground
600m height gain adds 1hr to time.

2x for Galloway is a good rule of thumb.

I add in a bit more time if I am doing multiple summits to allow for being an ageing lardy slob :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve just realised this and now my alerts are less optimistic. My estimates for walking time are pretty good but I always forget to allow for putting on boots at the start and setting up at the summit.

2 Likes

You ought to see one of my itineraries! Err, no you don’t, you’ll probably blow a fuse. :rofl:

I blame it all on Richard G4ERP who sent me an example itinerary shortly after I started SOTA back in 2006. It was in response to the fact that I had planned 5 Welsh Borders in a day, achieved only 3 and got home late! Doing an itinerary showed me exactly why. Over the years they’ve become a work of art! :grinning:

4 Likes

Stones? Is that the new Metric system?

1 Like

It was new… back in the stone age :wink:

6 Likes

Snap. Well I do have some time for them but inevitably there is some time wasted checking the right antennas etc. are in the bag, suitable globes, hats etc. Then I close the tailgate and lock the car. Then unlock it and take the walking poles out and re-lock. Then unlock and get the GPS or whatever else was not picked up. Doing this nearly 700 times you’d think it would be burned into my mind. You’d be wrong!

4 Likes

Are they for some magic ceremony to attract the chasers? Or repel the English.

3 Likes

It’s burned in your mind - it’s just that your mind has burned in the wrong habit (the “forgetting stuff” one!)

4 Likes

I use Gerald’s method of setting a minutes per km hiked, mostly to be on the summit to match my Alert time. For me 16 min/km is a good pace on most summits I visit, a couple have a 30 minute km in the middle of the hike where the steepness really kicks up. I tend to take it easy on the way down to save the old knee a bit and use a hiking pole when I don’t forget to take it with me. I save a long hike summit that has an easy elevation gain from the car park as my first for the new season as a good training hike for the tougher ones during the year.
Good work everyone
Regards
Ian vk5cz …

4 Likes

I did find someone selling Power Globes online.

Looking at the website at first I wasn’t sure if I had failed to scrape some mould off the cheese and I was now having some psilocybin type hallucinations or that I may have adversely crossed the streams when checking an antenna and as a result had been transported to an alternative universe.

I don’t know what is worse, people are stupid enough to believe that site or that someone can be amoral enough to separate the clueless and gormless from their cash and sleep comfortably at night. Well probably they have a central sun so are not bothered by such things.

The weather was so brilliant today (bright sun, just above freezing) that I went out for a 5 hour walk and managed 17 miles (27km) non-stop. I felt I was a bit slow on some of the paths with sticky clay underfoot, but looking at it afterwards 11 min/km wasn’t that bad. Oh to do that on some ascents!

73, Gerald

1 Like

Or, that’s how you know it’s flat! :grin:

Hi Paul,

How many furlongs do you believe you covered to lose that 5 stones ? How many stones could one expect to lose per fortnight using your methods ? Congrats on your SOTA program, and sure hope to hear you someday soon on 14 to 28 megacycles.
Regards, N6IZ. Brian

Hooray - a post using understandable units :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I haven’t used stones for 23 years now since assorted diabetic clinics have only used kgs. I’d have to get my calculator out to work out what my weight is!

1 Like