First Sota CW QSO / Chaser

Hi Sota Friends,

in the next days i will try to realize my first QSO´s on CW as Chaser.

Please help me what is the an correct QSO for Example as a Sota Chaser:

F5LKW/P ist on the Summit and DC8YZ will chase him:

F5LKW: CQ SOTA DE F5LKW/P F5LKW/P AR

DC8YZ: DC8YZ DC8YZ K

F5LKW: DC8YZ 5nn 5nn K

DC8YZ: F5LKW/P DE DC8YZ UR RST 53N 53N TNX FOR SOTA 73

Thanks Michael

DC8YZ

12 Likes

Hi Michael,
I’m sure you’ll be successful.
Let me suggest an optimization of your propossed QSO exchange:

F5LKW/P is on the Summit and DC8YZ will chase him:

F5LKW: CQ SOTA DE F5LKW/P F5LKW/P K

DC8YZ: DC8YZ (send your call once or twice max.)

F5LKW: DC8YZ 5nn 5nn BK

DC8YZ: QSL UR 53N 53N 73 TU

Good luck.

Guru

10 Likes

Very best of luck Michael! I’ve found the SOTA community to be very supportive of newcomers (or returnees) to cw. Hope to catch you on the air using cw one day!
73, Matthew - M0JSB

3 Likes

Hi Michael,

it is a very good idea to make his first attempts at telegraphy as a sota chaser.

Guru’s tip (hi Guru!) is also very helpful. Only give the call once and answer briefly. This saves you stress and you don’t run the risk of delaying the chaser for too long.

Always remember that the activator is happy about every qso. Otherwise he wouldn’t bother to activate a summit.

For me this was finally a successful way to lose my fear of cw qsos.

Another tip. Sometimes it’s very difficult to get through the heavy pileup. Then don’t call between them, but wait for the end of the pileup.

73 Chris

6 Likes

QSO’s are ideally shorter (IMO). Bearing in mind it’s winter and most likely not pleasant for the activator, so short and sweet is key.

Only send your call once in response to the CQ, and preferably slightly off frequency to help the activator filter the pileup. It seems to be accepted practice that the chaser doesn’t repeat the activator callsign, apparently contravening the convention of both callsigns and RSTs being exchanged. The final TU from the activator indicating the RST has been received thus ending the QSO.
Don’t worry if you’re a bit (or a lot) slower than the activator, just listen for your call and get used to it coming at full tilt. Reply at whatever speed you can manage reliably, just don’t expect the activator to dial down the speed for the one QSO. The activator will likely leave a larger gap between the letters, but still transmit at the same rate.
So something like

F5LKW/P: CQ SOTA DE F5LKW/P F5LKW/P K
DC8YZ: DC8YZ
F5LKW/P: DC8YZ 5NN 5NN K
DC8YZ: 53N 53N TU
F5LKW/P: TU

Best of luck and hopefully we’ll see you active on both sides of the summit !

3 Likes

In my experience week-end pile-ups can be bigger than mid-week ones and someone on a 10 point summit will probably have more chasers than someone on a one point summit. 40m also likely to be more popular than say 18m or 15m. This doesn’t apply to every activation but I’ve had more success chasing less popular summits on less used bands.

4 Likes

Hi Michael,

Guru’s advice is good.

It can also help to listen to other SOTA contacts to learn what is common practice. The ears connect to the brain, the brain learns from what it hears. Be a listener. When it isn’t your QSO it does not matter how well you copy. Missed a few letters? Doesn’t matter. Next QSO you will copy better. Listen to many QSOs before attempting your own.

When you send it can be difficult to remember what to send next. So write down on paper the standard exchange in words and abbreviations, so you won’t be losing your place. Sending “out of your head” is a skill none of us were born with, we all had to learn and practice. So have that exchange written down on a “cheat sheet” so you can watch it as you send each character.

Take small steps first, then walk, then run.

Good luck

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

10 Likes

My greatest ever QSO total (50) was on a one pointer (G/NP-029) so it seems chasers are happy to chase regardless (and I am grateful for that).

As for QSO format there is no right or wrong way to do it but keep it short and sweet. As a novice chaser you will probably be happy with that but it will also help the activator, especially in winter conditions.

My usual format is something like:

G4TGJ/P: CQ SOTA DE G4TGJ/P K
DC8YZ: DC8YZ
G4TGJ/P: DC8YZ GA 55N 55N BK
DC8YZ: GA RICHARD 55N 55N 73 GL TU
G4TGJ/P: 73 TU

At which point I brace myself for a cacophany of calls. The advice to be off frequency is good, otherwise all the calls merge together. If you send your call and hear nothing, send your call again. But please listen and make sure you don’t call too soon or on top of someone else. And always give precedence to S2S stations.

I often don’t send GA but will sometimes add a name if I know it. Also you don’t have to send my name - it’s nice to be greeted by name but it does also slow things down on a cold summit.

2 Likes

Hello Michael.
That’s sound great to QSO you on CW.
In SSB, ur signal is often really strong, then for sure, it will not a pb.
I will have to pay care about my speed cosly in pile-up I’m in contest mode :wink:
Usually I send:

• CQ CQ CQ SOTA de F5LKW/P F5LKW/P F5LKW/P PSE K
    (I send my call several times for RBN)
    Because pile up and QRM when I answer I repeat 2 times the chaser’s callsign
  • DC8YZ DC8YZ Bjr Michael (When I remember the name) RST 5NN 5NN DC8YZ BK
  • CFM 73 73 TU EE
    Pile up starts again or I send
  • DE F5LKW/P K

The most important things, don’t forget, the activator is on summit and he receives everyone at the same time.
73 QRO and see u this Saturday …
Roger

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your inspiration. What means the sign GA?
73 Michael

1 Like

Hi Guru, thanks for your suggest. 73 Michael

Thanks Matthew hope to catch you. 73 Michael

1 Like

Hi Chris, vielen Dank für den Tipp. 73 Michael

Thanks for the Information, i hope to catch you. 73 Michael

thanks and 73

Hi Andrew,
its a great idea for me, bevor i start an SOTA CW QSO i try to hear other QSOs.
Thanks and 73 Michael

Hi Roger my Friend,
what means CFM?
73 Michael

2 Likes

Michael.
I confirm (CFM) what you sent me … Usually the RST you gave me.

1 Like

73 Roger, maybe we hear us on Saturday in SSB. In the next time i will sometimes try CW too. Most on the Weekends…

Take Care my Friend

2 Likes

GM = Good Morning
GA = Good Afternoon
GE = Good Evening

3 Likes