First ever SOTA summit activated?

This one is a little hard to find through the UI but I’m sure someone with direct DB access could answer in seconds.

What was the first ever summit activated? I’m gathering it was on March 2nd 2002 when Wales, England went live, but it seems like there might have been the inaugural S2S party that day from looking at logs.

I’m guessing it could be GW/SP-002 or NW-001 but looking through all 33 activator logs for 2002 is going to be a slog. Trying to search here for first SOTA activation is also a lost cause :joy:

I’m considering options for long service leave next year…finally getting around to finishing MG might be one thing and I may as well do it in style.

1 Like

Well we know it was the 2nd March 2002.

I also know that Roger MW0IDX/P was on GW/NW-001 Snowdon and there is an activation report here
Sota’s first Day

I am not a database admin so I can’t look directly at the data, but I’m guessing you want the first summit that was activated (1st qso) by time and the first one qualified by time (4th qso). It’s piqued my interest so will have a quick look if I can find it :slight_smile:

Ian
G7ADF

1 Like

Long Mynd - Pole bank G/WB-005

2 Likes

Darn you database admins :smile: . I was getting there. Once I complete the trawl I will have full stats :slight_smile: Just will take me longer than Andy.

Ok I now have some facts and figures.

Remember, activation is based on 1st qso time, but qualified time is on the 4th qso.

Four summits activated on Sota Day1 .

G/SP-002 Black Hill by Alan M1EYO. 5 qsos. First qso at 14:34 on 2m FM. 4th qso at 14:52 on 2m FM. Overall ranking 4th Summit activated, 3rd summit qualified.

GW/NW-001 Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa) by Roger MW0IDX. 4 qsos. First qso 12:39 on 20m CW. 4th qso 15:12 on 2M FM. Overall ranking 2nd Summit activated, 4th summit qualified.

G/WB-005 Long Mynd (Pole Bank) by Richard G3CWI. 5 qsos. First qso 11:00 on 2m FM. 4th qso 11:35 on 40m CW. Overall ranking 1st Summit activated, 1st summit qualified.

G/CE-002 Walton Heath by Pete M0COP. 12 qso. First qso 13:45 on 40m SSB , 4th qso 14:04 on 40m ssb. Overall ranking 3rd Summit activated, 2nd summit qualified.

Looking the 4 summits, I think it would be eminently possible to repeat the entire first day of sota in a day. Now there is a challenge :slight_smile:

Ian
G7ADF

2 Likes

Or “Re-enact” the day with those summits being activated again together at 1100 UTC on a chosen day perhaps? Ideally with the same operators, if they are willing.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

Sadly that isnt possible as Pete M0COP is now silent key but 2 out of the other activators are still active.

I think the re-enactment day is a good idea, and would make a good SOTA challenge. Work all 4 for a certificate or some such :slight_smile:

Ian

1 Like

Unfortunately the (ideal) time to have done it would have been last year being the 20th anniversary…

All 4 in one day? I’ll add that to the list of options. Snowdon being in there does add a bit of spice.

Thanks all for the answers

Andrew

2 Likes

I actually checked qrz.com for all 4 ops as I suspected one or more may have left us in the interim. The qrz.com entry for Pete has no SK flag on it. Of course there is no automated way for qrz to know when someone has gone SK, I presume they will want a relative to inform them as otherwise there could be some embarrassing changes happening.

73 Ed.

I’ve checked out a route that would do all 4 in a day and its not bad, Depending on the order of of the summits the total driving time is between 5hours 42 minutes and just under 7 hours.
Fastest route and one that seems best for early start is
GW/NW-001 Snowdon
G/WB-005 Long Mynd
G/CE-002 Walton Hill
G/SP-002 Black Hill

Long Mynd and Walton Hill have short walk in times from car parking (10 mins ish). Black Hill is about 30 to 45 mins (IIRC). So depending on the route, Snowdon has the longest approach.

I’d be up for doing the whole tour in a day if anyone else fancies it. Not sure my level of fitness would see me up Snowdon just yet, so might have to be designated driver :). To be fair last weeks NW-071 trip gave me stiff legs with a 30Kg+ pack and just sitting in odd positions for 7 hours,

2 Likes

There was a thread on here Ed about Pete M0COP but it can be difficult keeping up to date. Or in my case just remembering what I’ve read a few days previously.

2 Likes