Finally met a mountain goat on a SOTA summit!

Very surprised to meet a real one with kids on EA8/GC-016. Not the best photo, they were very skittish….

28 Likes

Lol! :smiley: I came across a couple of goats in North Wales once. I too thought it rather amusing.

We met on Pen y Fan GW/SW-001 on January 6 earlier this year. :grinning: :goat:

2 Likes

So awesome, I assume this is a rare site ? Here in the California Sierra Nevada I have seen mountain Bighorn Sheep very sporadically, and always too distant for the camera de jour. .

1 Like

The first one I met was sheltering in the doorway of the Pen y Pass youth hostel (and very reluctant to move to let me out). Since I later turned back just below the summit of Snowden, maybe he’d had the right idea!

1 Like

They are reasonably common in Eryri (Snowdonia) in North Wales GW/NW.

One rather tricky problem with them is that some of their bleats sound an awful lot like a distant human shouting “HELP!”. As a result they cause some well intended false alarm calls to mountain rescue.

There are some rather more famous ones on GW/NW-070 Great Orme. They made headlines around the world during the first UK COVID movement restrictions in March 2020. They used the lack of people as an opportunity to come down into the nearby town of Llandudno and started eating everything they could find in people’s gardens! They do sometimes venture into the town to escape bad weather too.

4 Likes