Feb Hill of The Month?

Hi everyone

As yet I have received no nominations for Hill of The Month for February.

If anyone would like to nominate a hill of the month and write a short piece about their chosen hill, please do so and email it to gw0dsp@hotmail.co.uk

Maybe one of our many EU friends could nominate a hill?

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Billinge Hill need not apply.

In reply to G1INK:

You need a darker pair of glasses Steve… for use when activating the hill at midnight. Or perhaps a rose tinted pair…

Pity those of us that still have to brave this one!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
You only have to do it once Gerald :slight_smile:
But that is more than enough for some !

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G1INK:
The graffiti on Billinge hill is a work of art!

In reply to 2E0KPO:

Every activator should do Billinge at least once, it will make you appreciate all of the other hills.

73 Mike GW0DSP

It’s not the worst, just one of them.

Hensbarrow Beacon DC-004, Ruardean Hill WB-021, Bishop Wilton Wold TW-004, Normanby Top TW-005, Christ Cross DC-005, Carnmenellis DC-006 (to name but six) must all be contenders!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Would you care to nominate one Tom and do a short write up?

I’ll definately expect a hill of the month from your upcoming Irish tour.

Mike

In reply to M1EYP:

Oi! What’s this then? This discussion is getting like MARHOFN…

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. I like some you’ve listed Tom, especially Christ Cross - and Normanby is quite pleasant as well. Titterstone would be on my list for its dereliction and untidiness. If you apply occupancy by the general public as a parameter, then quite a lot “fail”.

I’ve activated 130 summits now and Allt Yr Esgair GW/SW-023 is still top of my list… just a humble single pointer nestling amongst higher summits. Perhaps a running table of favourites could be part of the news. It could be quite interesting.

73, Gerald

I live just 10 minutes from beautiful Billinge hill.
Some of the graffiti carved into the beacon dates back decades.
I’ll nip up one evening soon with the 857 and wire.

Peter M1BZJ

In reply to M1BZJ:
I might even try and get out up my local hill (hailstorm hill SP-009) and activate every nigt before I go to work, if I can sort my long wire out Big problems,
Steve m0sgb

In reply to GW0DSP:

A range of hills as opposed to a single hill I would nominate the Cat Bells Ridge terminating in Dale Head and possibly continuing to Hindscarh and Robinson.

Although the Marilyns do not come until late in the day the stroll is well worth the effort. Problem of course is transportation although you could reverse the walk the following day.

OK so it is slightly off topic - apologies

In reply to G6DDQ:
That would be a great day out, rivaled only by Seat Sandal - Fairfield - St Sunday Crag and even better, the Ennerdale Skyline taking in High Stile, Great Gable, Kirkfell and Pillar. That one is a great circuit, accessible from the Gillerthwaite YH if it is still in business!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G6DDQ:

Although the Marilyns do not come until late in the day the stroll is
well worth the effort. Problem of course is transportation although
you could reverse the walk the following day.

OK so it is slightly off topic - apologies

Not really Myke, Robinson down Scope beck - Little Town - back of Catbells - Hawse End and catch last Ferry :frowning: Ah see what you mean !

Roger G4OWG

There is an excellent-looking multi-summit walk in the latest edition of Trail magazine. It is a 3-day route beginning with the ridge ascent up High Street LD-019, continuing to Stony Cove Pike LD-018. After overnighting at the Kirkstone Inn, you go up Red Screes LD-017 and traverse around to Fairfield LD-007 and St Sunday Crag LD-013. You overnight in the Patterdale area, then take the Ullswater steamer and complete the circular walk southwards. There are no SOTA summits on the 3rd day, but it looks a fantastic expedition. Jimmy and I are tempted to take it on in July. Perhaps the third day could be modified to take in Place Fell LD-027.

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

Errrrm to get back on topic…

Any offers of a Hill of the Month chaps?

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Sent it by email as you requested.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Thanks Andy, email received.

Please keep them coming folks, if not used this month they will
definitely appear in future bulletins.

73 Mike

Thanks to everyone who has entered a hill of the month for February after my request on this thread. I have 7 sent in so have decided to draw one out of the hat for February. I have emailed everyone who sent me a hill of the month and explained that they will be used in future news bulletins.

Thanks again and 73

Mike GW0DSP obo SOTA News Team

In reply to GW0DSP:

I have emailed everyone … and explained that they will be used in future news bulletins.

If Fan Brycheiniog GW/SW-003 isn’t on that list, then I’ll go to the foot of our stairs!

73, Gerald