European SOTA Activity Day on September 19, 2020

Dear friends!
Please be informed that we will continue our activity until 30th September to celebrate 5 years of regional association R9Urals. To date, several activations of Ural summits have been completed within special activity days with a special callsign R05SOTA and with personal callsigns of activators.
I would like to thank you Sergey R8WB, Igor RV9WIW, Vladimir RX9WT, Igor UA9CDC and Mikhail UA9CTT who supported this activity!
I am happy to update that commemorative diplomas marking the fifth anniversary of our association are ready and are already being issued. The conditions for obtaining the diploma are as simple as possible - chasers only need to make 2 connections with the activators of the Ural peaks during the year of 2020, or 1 contact on the days of the activity. A separate diploma will be issued for S2S contacts with Ural activators on similar terms. The numbering of diplomas is separate by type of communication and for VHF. Applications for diplomas can be sent to: r9w.award@gmail.com . It is preferred that applications follow the form from the logs from SOTA database, however any free form of application is welcomed as well.
Warm wishes to you all for a restful weekend ahead!
Kind regards, Marat

4 Likes

Over 100 alerts for OE / EU SOTA Day and probably many more will actually happen! Looks like fun providing the forecast strong winds don’t damage my poles!

2 Likes

Hi Guys,
I haven’t chosen the summit yet.
I will wake up in the early morning.
See you tomorrow!!

1 Like

I was planning on staying off the hills this weekend, but seeing so many activators participating and presenting many S2S opportunities reeled me back in! I shall be QRV from one of my local summits for about 3 hours, with the hope of playing with a few other bands I’ve not used before alongside the regular ones. Looking forward to working you all in the morning! :blush:

The hills shall be alive with the sound of SOTA… :musical_note:

73s,

Jordan M3TMX

1 Like

as for my understanding sota day is an event to invite operators who usually don’t climb summits.
All fine for me. Will Austria also particitpate to all EU sota day? Is the HB9 prize for participating associations only?
No matter, gl and have a nice day.
Sorry no SW from my side today - my KX1 is undetectable at the moment unfortunately.
Maybe ISS is passing by.
73 martin

This activity is open to everyone who joins in! Why should Austria be excluded :thinking:?

See you all on the air!

73, Sylvia
OE5YYN

2 Likes

Hi!
I returned at home from a fast activation I/LO-261 Zucco Angelone.
I drove to Introbio and climbed up to very step path for about 600 meter: it was the first time that I walked this path.
I forgot breakfast at home and when I arrived on the summit, I had a little sugar crisis.

I had with me 1 liter of water and snacks for Zac and 1 liter of matcha tea for me.
I had some problems installing the antenna due to the limited space and the desire for sugars.
I did not find points to fix the antenna, the picket did not enter the ground which was too rocky.
I managed to fix 20 meters of wire on the L-inv to 10mt fishing rod between some trees. one of the worst installations ever.

I called in 80 40 30 20, a few stations a log, the most profitable was that of 40 meters.
in total 8 qsos of which s2s.

I had to be at home for noon. the descend was very rapid.
It is always a pleasure to partecipate at SOTA days!

7 Likes

Wow, bands absolutely buzzing with SOTA stations this morning!
Couldn’t stay out too long but worked more S2S than chasers! Great stuff.
73 Gareth G0MFR

8 Likes

Hi all
I’m sure this special activity day was a very nice idea :+1:
A lot of SOTA station on the air :zap:
never seen that ! but I’m a young chaser :blush:
for me a big score between 06:15z and11:22z >
28 QSO with my tiny 100w and wire antenna, (sure KW chasers make more but it isn’t my philosophy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: too big difference between activator and chaser…)
21 unique summits, thanks all activators and don’t miss to say thanks to the initiators :wink: :+1:
73 Éric

8 Likes

Yes Phil @G4OBK and Rado @S58R today you can view TDF arrival on F/JU-027 nice one :+1: :crazy_face:
73 Éric

PS: At this time Pog and Rog are on the winner list
Edit : …Pogacar was the winner :dizzy:

1 Like

Great fun! Thanks to the organisers and all participants. I was a bit late and did not work much SSB, because the summit was filled with visitors. CONDX within Europe seemed not too good, but on 20m I worked a RU9 and RW0 as well as K4DY and K2VV with my KX2 and EFHW. I was completely thrilled when JH1MXV called me and gave me 519. I had at least one fine s2s QSOs with Michael, DB7mm, on 2m-FM with the handheld and short antenna.
Looking forward to meeting all of you again soon!
73, Chris DL4FO

7 Likes

Thank you very much for the idea of the SOTA activity day. It was a lot of fun. Thanks to all who took part. See you next time!

73 Marcel DM3FAM

2 Likes

It’s not finished yet… :wink:

1 Like

Even so it has been a fabulous success! Saturday is a busy day for me so I couldn’t do much, but I looked at the Spots from time to time. At 0856 there were 93 spots highlighted in red, fifteen minutes later it peaked at 97 and then slowly decreased. Spots were appearing at up to seven at a time, sometimes it was hard keeping track as the spots that I was looking at scrolled down rapidly! I hope that next year (we will be doing it next year?) we are no longer in sunspot minimum conditions!

it was great fun today. Thanks for the organisation. It would be great if we could repeat this once or twice a year :grinning:… I had many S2S QSOs today … Thanks to all participants.
DD6FM - Marco

7 Likes

it was great fun participating in the EU SOTA ACTIVITY DAY … we also had our OE5 SOTA DAY, so my main focus was on 2m, but also some nice S2S contacts on 40m and 20m:

a total of 64 qso’s of which 32 were s2s-contacts :slight_smile:

73 martin, oe5reo

10 Likes

Yes, a good SOTA day.
3 hours ascend up to 2197m Scheiblingstein OE/OO-183

60 QSO (50 on 2m FM, 10 on 20m SSB)
43 S2S :star_struck:
2m FM was buzzing in OE

and then 2 hours down - and to the Gastgarten to meet OE5 SOTA friends.

73 Joe

10 Likes

I’m sure this day must have been a very fun and busy day for the chasers.
My participation was unsure until the very last moment, not only because I had some important errands to do this morning, but also due to the WX, as rains coming from the SouthWest were approaching us.
Not being able to spend much time in the mountain and activating, I decided for our drive-up local summit Mt. Ezkaba EA2/NV-119 (also known as Mt. St. Cristóbal) early in the morning, as there was little chance of rain forecasted at those morning hours.
When I just arrived to the top, a few drops of rain were falling, but I decided to go ahead and proceed with my setup. Fortunately, the rain stopped right away and this is how I finally installed my endfed sloper.

I started very few minutes before my alerted time and the first QSO was logged at 05h58z
The activation went like this:

• 40m CW: 28 QSOs, 2 of which S2S after about 40 minutes QRV.

• 30m CW: 12 QSOs, 1 of which S2S after about 35 minutes QRV.

• 20m CW: 10 QSOs, 3 of which S2S after about 35 minutes QRV. One S2S was with UA9CTT/P activating R9U/CE-043.

• 30m CW: 1 S2S QSO with Vlad RX9WT/P activating R9U/SO-235.

• 20m SSB: 5 QSOs, 3 of which S2S. One S2S QSO with the special station YP10SOTA celebrating 10 years of YO SOTA, after about 15 minutes QRV.

• 40m SSB: 38 QSOs 1 of which S2S after about 25 minutes QRV.

All in all, 94 QSOs, 11 of which S2S after nearly 3 hours (2h48) on air.

Before leaving, I took a few pictures, which I have joined together for you to enjoy a panoramic view. This one to the North:

And this one to the South:

I had a very nice time and I really hope this event will become a regular one.

Guru

10 Likes

Together with Marat RA9WJV we visited Toratau today (R9U / SO-235). Due to the close location of the antennas, it was not possible to be QRV at the same time - mutual interference blocked the reception.
RX9WT/P
29 QSO on 14 MHz from 08.50 to 10.16 GMT. 5 S2S.
75 QSO on 10 MHz from 07.34 to 08.26 GMT. 2 S2S.
At 18 MHz, QRV did not have time.
But I had enough impressions. Unforgettably.
Thanks to everyone who heard us!
Photos and videos will be presented by Marat.
73!

7 Likes

More than 50 QSOs with 12 (13) S2S QSOs. I made qrx between the activation for a mushroom hunting…was also sucessful. With my FT818 barfoot I got today 2 new DXCC in qrp: HZ90SK and YB0AZ… amazing! 73 de Olaf OK8CX/p (DL7CX)

12 Likes