Eaten alive on G/NP-017 Fountains Fell

Yesterday Natalie M7NTD and I activated G/NP-017 Fountains Fell on 40m SSB, 20m SSB and 2m FM. A farmer on a quad bike rounding up his sheep came to talk to us as he saw my dipole antenna and mast. I thought he may have been a little off with us but he was absolutely fine and curious as to what we were doing. He had a listen to 40m and was quite surprised and genuinely interested. Also, he was wearing a flat cap. We had about a 15 minute chat by which time all his sheep had scattered in different directions and he had to go round them up again!
As always it was a great day out in the hills and a first outing for my recently purchased Elecraft KX2.
There was a spell when it was so still and eerily quiet at the summit. Though we were almost eaten alive by the midges. I’m covered in lumps from bites this morning.

Overlooking the Three Peaks of Yorkshire G/NP-005, G/NP-010 & G/NP-004

Warning sign near the Summit

An old oven dating back to the early 1800’s.

The summit of G/NP-017 Fountains Fell.

A video of our activation

73 Chris M0RSF

20 Likes

Excellent pics Chris, Thanks for the Contact from you up there yesterday, Would have been great to get you with my KX3 but I was halfway through soldering my patch lead to connect to my 2m Amp. Shame about the midges, I recommend Calamine Lotion for the itch🤕

73 Tony

2 Likes

On Saturday afternoon I was on Rombalds Moor G/NP-028 and was also thoroughly midged. Despite wearing a midge net I still have a nice collection of bites on my forehead. I’ve decided that sitting on a summit wearing a fleece and hat and huddling in a shelter is preferable to a still summer’s day!

4 Likes

Aye flatcaps. Any whippets about? :smiley:

2 Likes

I was on Whernside (G/NP-004), thanks for the S2S. No midges but hundreds of walkers, the footpath up (and down) was like a procession.

Apologies, but Woody was in particularly fine voice… 73 Paul

2 Likes

Can’t be all bad then.

With my old Diamond X50 collinear on the chimney I used to have no problem working Fountain Fell and Pen-y-Ghent 40km (25 miles) to the east but my new V2000 – although better in most directions – seems to have a blind spot to the east (the long ‘6m’ radial points that way – coincidence?). Chris, your signal was briefly 4/3 but mostly 1/1 so I gave up after a long listen.

Andy

2 Likes

It was great to get you and Natalie in the log from Moel Hebog (GW/NW-014) on Sunday. The midges were awful in Wales too - flying ants, swarming around in great clouds. At one point you couldn’t see the yellow element wire on my Sotabeams inverted V; the flying ants had covered every inch of it.I’d have taken a photo but they’d taken a fancy to that too. Truly horrible…

1 Like

It’s not complete without a photo of all the midgey lumps. :grinning: 73 Karen

1 Like

Thanks for another great video Chris. Really enjoyable to watch.

cheers,Geoff vk3sq

question- what is a flat cap?

1 Like

He clearly wants to be on the radio Paul - do they do a canine license :rofl:
I was on the descent from Black Coombe when you started calling, but couldn’t break the pile up before the terrain got in the way.

Mark.

1 Like

My wife normally bears the brunt of the biting insects - taking her along is a short term strategy in deflection from me however, as I get to relive every bite with her afterwards for days :rofl:

Seriously though, I must taste real bad because I don’t suffer that badly. On Black Coombe it was more a combination of several species - covered in midges, daddy long legs must have sticky feet because they just seem to cling on, and there was something in between the two - don’t think it was a biter.

I think either the heat or CO2 emissions also attract an overhead parade - just don’t look up :dizzy_face:
One thing that does work is the long lead on the IC-705 allows me to talk standing up - it’s definitely worse being closer to the ground. If you have one it is definitely worth a try on voice modes. This is why I packed in 30m CW early, I just didn’t get any respite.

2 Likes

I walked & activated The Calf G/NP-013 on Saturday not so far away from either Chris or Mark and had no insect bite problem at all. But then - apart from clegs (horse flies) sneaking up on my arms from behind - I rarely get bitten. On the other hand, my wife is always suffering from insect bites. I wonder if men and women smell differently to midges and black flies. But she reckons it’s to do with your blood group.

1 Like

This is a good theory that fits us - Alex has a pretty rare blood time whereas I’m common.

The theory is doomed. My wife is O+ and I’m B+.

1 Like

My theory - you smell as bad as I do when you reach a summit.
It isn’t lack of CO2 emission on my part - not in my state of fitness.

1 Like

Obviously not as common as muck, or the flies would be all over you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Over here in darkest DL-land, we thankfully have no midges, although the horse-flies or clegs (D. “Bremsen”) can be a problem - mosquitos are also here, but don’t seem to be a problem at all on SOTA walks. I’ve done a few activations in the last month or so, where the Bremsen have been around in small numbers, but on one particular activation - of the Gerstenrieder Kopf DL/MF-103 - there were literally hundreds of the blighters to be swatted off.

Even though the activation itself, and the walk, was very pleasant radio-wise, those silent grey agents of the Devil took the pleasure down to “I need to get out of here” levels. Of course, once I reached the valley - and yes, folks, I did manage that - several strictly medicinal beers needed to be imbibed to bring the stress levels down to the “merely chaotic” of normal life.

My diary entry for the day reads “Don’t ask!”…

2 Likes

Kindred spirit there :wink:

1 Like

You were a good signal with me Tony. Hope you got the KX3 working on 2m.
Natalie didn’t get bitten half as much as me for some reason.

73 Chris M0RSF

Thanks for the S2S and no need whatsoever to apologise. Natalie and I have three poodles, we had four until we lost one earlier this year. We have poodles because Natalie is allergic to dogs but they don’t lose fur so she’s fine with them.

73 Chris M0RSF