DV Challenge Flavour, 1st-7th March 2020

hi g8cpz am all ways listening on 144.612 and will all way go back to cq call especially on digtal

1 Like

Hi Steven, thatā€™s good to know.

Iā€™m planning to activate Hutton Roof Crags (G/LD-052) tomorrow (Monday 2nd) around 12 noon on 2m C4FM as part of the DV Challenge Week. Iā€™ll be trying (for the first time) a walk n talk setup Iā€™ve put together for the occasion with a 35W 2m PA and 5/8th mobile whip antenna in my rucksack connected to my Yaesu FT1D. Iā€™ve got pretty cold on recent activations standing stationary whilst operating or setting up equipment, so Iā€™m hoping this pedestrian-mobile setup will help [if I can walk about whilst logging].

Itā€™s 135km to your home QTH from G/LD-052 so thatā€™s probably a bit of a stretch without directional antennas at both ends, but you never know.

Iā€™m curious to find out if thereā€™s more C4FM activity during the day this week compared to a normal week.

73 Andy

Hi
Nobody using DMR (TG973) this morning ! Asked Tom if he was QRV but no response ā€¦
Will look later for the unique alert from California :slight_smile:
Iā€™m QAP on TG973 with other chaser
73 Ɖric

I only have C4FM here - no DMR sorry.

In any case, using these internet-enabled features would mean the QSOs are not valid for SOTA of course!

1 Like

A successful DSTAR activation of Mount Umunhum. (W6/CC-052)
Equipment- It took me about a week to figure out how to program my TH-D74A for DSTAR, but with the help of the manual, Youtube videos, and a SOTA friend I had success. Once I had it programmed it was easy to operate!
Advance planning - I posted an alert a couple of weeks early; then contacted a local club - they posted my alert in their email list. Then the evening prior I looked at the call sign listings on the DSTARUser web pages for the DSTAR repeater serving the general area near the summit. Using the call sign lists I sent individual emails to hams with emails listed in QRZ. These emails resulted in me being reposted in the local clubā€™s email list.
Result - 5 DSTAR simplex contacts. One of the contacts had followed me on APRS and called me on the 2M FM simplex frequency as I approached the summit - he encouraged other locals to contact me, and then contacted me with DSTAR simplex once I reached the summit and began activating. Only one of my five contacts had prior experience with DSTAR simplex. The other four contacts were in response to my emails and the email list from the local club.
I also worked 23cm FM simplex and a couple of those contacts came over and worked me on DSTAR.
I picked Mount Umunhum because it overlooks the largest nearby metro area (San Jose) and with the proximity of Silicon Valley there are a lot of ā€œhigh techā€ hams!A long drive but a great day for SOTA!
Finally, many thanks to the MT for suggesting these SOTA Flavours - great encouragement for learning how to operate with features of my rigs that I had not previously considered.
Ā© 2002-2019 Summits on the Air. Summits on the Air, SOTA and the

3 Likes