DV Challenge Flavour, 1st-7th March 2020

2 USB sound cards and a USB hub?

So a USB hub to split. Outward (TX): via G4ZLP MiniProSC to 817 data (DIN) socket. Back (RX): from 817 headphone socket back into USB hub and set internal soundcard as RX. Use headset mic also connected via USB hub.

Will that work?

What’s the Acer model #?

Acer Iconia Tab Wi810 32GB

No Tom, it wont. You cannot use the audio connections on that USB connector and USB at the same time. As soon as you connect a hub the audio connections will be lost. You need 2 soundcards for FreeDV as you already know. There’s one in your tablet and the ZLP (shudder) box has a sound card in it for radio interfacing. But you cannot use the external connections to the tablet card when anything is connected to the USB on that tablet. So you can try the internal mic and speakers. But a better way, IMHO, is to use another USB soundcard that you can plug a headset into. Or a headset with integral USB soundcard such this as Logitech H340 USB PC Headset with Noise-Cancelling Mic

Then you need a hub and a power supply for the hub and … and … and … it all becomes messy and non-trivial quickly. It makes digi modes operating when portable look child’s play!

1 Like

Good luck with that one. There are a few C4FM chasers in the north Lancashire / south Cumbria area who will regularly come on-air providing that I alert then spot. I’ve never had someone reply to my calling CQ on the 2m DV calling frequency (unless I already spoke to them ten minutes earlier on FM).

As a matter of interest, do any of you DV guys intend to use DV on HF? I have frequently heard DV on 20m and 80m but all the above discussion seems to be about handhelds and V/UHF.

FreeDV is HF Brian. Or do you mean the other modes?

If you have an Icom 7100 or a 9100, then in theory you can use DSTAR on HF!

Not sure if a Yaesu 991A will do C4FM on HF

Sorry for late reply, Tom - Saturday shopping ((ugh!)

No, its not about modes, I just wonder if anybody actually intends to activate with DV on the DC bands!:wink:

There’s no reason why DV modes cannot be used on 10m.

DSTAR is 6.25kHz wide.
DMR is 6.25kHz wide but VHF/UHF handies uses 12.5kHz channels containing 2 QSOs at the same time.
C4FM is 6.25kHz but also has a high quality 12.5kHz option.

They’re much the same as using NBFM on 10m. There’s probably sufficient space on 15m too for a QSO or two. What I can’t recall is how well a GMSK signal survives ionospheric propagation. FreeDV consists of not only a voice CODEC but uses a multi-carrier modulation scheme that is particularly robust for ionospheric use.

It’s a bit like 300bps FSK packet. That’s not a good way of sending data on HF, robust packet and PSK63, PSK63F and JS8call are better. But back in the early 80’s 300bps AFSK chips were cheap (£20) and doing what we now do on a PC with sound cards and software was considered advanced level military signals processing.

I have removed my vote for FreeDV. I don’t see any prospect of having a FreeDV system up-and-running in time, plus it looks like I’m going to be very active on C4FM (2m and 70cm) during this Flavour.

It looks like I have managed to coordinate some substantial base-station VHF C4FM activity here in the North-West for that week. I hope participants on other DV modes and/or in other locations are able to do so as well. Looking forward to this Flavour; it has the potential to be a lot of fun!

Tom, I’ve only ever worked locals (< 35 miles) on 2m-C4FM from G/LD. I would take my portable 35W PA with me that week if I thought some Dx was gonna be QRV. Any of your friends around during the day 2nd-6th March?

I would have thought the best bet for daytimes would be SOTA chasers that have C4FM! Pretty sure there’s at least 1 or 2 of those in the North West Fusion Group (the epicentre of which is much nearer to you than I).

Because we’ve got a Challenge focus on DV that week, I’d suggest taking your optimum set up anyway.

OK, so we have two weekend activity days (Midlands and North Wales) on 2m C4FM plus a couple of C4FM activity evenings, supported by the Stockport Radio Society and North West Fusion Group, for the forthcoming DV Flavour at the start of March.

So far only me alerted (apart from Simon ZS/G4TJC), so who else is going to try and get on from a summit? All you probably need is a C4FM handheld and rubber duck! It would be good to have a few other summits also QRV on a Fusion. I know the two radio clubs - both of which are enthusiastic about Fusion - are looking forward to it, as are the C4FM-equipped SOTA chasers I’ve spoken to.

What about D-Star and DMR? Is anyone planning any activity events on these DV modes?

I’m sniffing about for a loan handset up here in the Northern Wastelands (snowing at present). No luck so far but I’ll rattle the local clubs to see if anything available.

1 Like

Mount Umunhum (W6/CC-052) and Mount Diablo (W6/CC-045) DV Activations --I have posted alerts for March 1st and March 7th for DSTAR activations. I will be using my Kenwood TH-D74A from the summits. Both summits overlook significant population areas and are easily accessible. I generally prefer to activate mid-week, however I believe the weekend activations will have the best opportunity for success. It might be fun for activators with differ DV capabilities to gather for a joint activation. If you have C4FM, or DMR capability and want to join me let me know.

1 Like

That’s quite a neat idea. Anyone in the Cheshire vicinity with D-Star or DMR fancy teaming up for a joint multi-DV-mode activation? (Partway through the activation we can swap rigs and add more callsigns to our Challenge scores!)

I rather suspect there are plenty of hardly-used DV HTs sat doing nothing in home and club shacks, so Andy’s idea of finding one to borrow for a week is a good one. I hope it bears fruit for you Andy.

1 Like

Matt @G8XYJ - are you still intending heading into the Shropshire 5 on Sunday 1st March? Would be good to get some Fusion S2S with you and score in both sections of the Challenge! I’ll be starting at the Brown Clee end and working west through the day, then north if I have time, then back east if I have energy!

Reminder -

The DV Flavour in the SOTA 2020 Challenge begins tomorrow (Sunday 1st March) and last for seven days. The modes that would be entered in the Database as “DV” are valid for credit - so C4FM, D-Star, DMR or FreeDV.

Please monitor for any activators in your area that might be QRV on a DV mode!

DV SOTA activations appear on the alerts over the next week - in the G, GW, ZS, JA and W6 associations, with C4FM, D-Star and DMR all planned.

1 Like