Do you know Q-codes?

We had an interesting discussion a while back where we discussed knowledge of Q-codes. This was when the Q-code QSP was discussed. It turns out it’s not universally known or understood.

It turns out there is another of these Q-codes that is not widely understood. Surpringsly this code is

QRX

I find it quite strange that 2 CW chasers did not understand what QRX means when sent to them. I was trying to work a weak S2S contact and on 2 occasions the strong station was told to QRX but ignored me.

I’d called CQ and heard a several strong stations and another sending “/P /P /P”. I sent “/P ? KN” which. in my books means the station signing /P only to go ahead. Sadly one of the strong fixed stations sent his call and drowned out the /P station. Again I sent “/P KN” and again both called. So I sent the strong station’s call and QRX followed /P KN. Again both called.

It took 3 attempts with the first station who didn’t understand QRX to pic enough of the /P call to work him. The second time, later in the activation, I counted the times and it was 6 occasions I sent “callsign QRX” and every time he called me back. I was able to work SP8AMH/P in the end due to some fading resulting the station to my SouthWest fading out whilst SP8AMH/P to my east remained workable. Otherwise I’d still be sending QRX and the SP station would be trying to get his S2S.

Come on ladies and gentleman (actually never heard an bad YL operator in 23.9years of amateur activity) if this guy had stood by when asked I’d have worked the SP and then him in about 2mins. As it was it took nearly 5 mins to work the SP station due to DELIBERATE QRM and poor attitude. I developed selective deafness to the strong fixed station and did not work him till later on.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Unfortunately due to the high number of “keyboard” CW operators lots of the old protocol has been lost including QRX. Also, I wonder how many modern day operators understand the meaning of “AS”. I think the 5NN rubber stamp QSOs are equally responsible for the loss of use of the Q-codes and CW abbreviations like “ES”, “FER”, TNX", “CUL” etc etc.
Oh well that’s my tuppence worth from an old school CW buff.

Andy you must be mellowing with age because I’m surprised you worked the strong station you refer to, I know he wouldn’t have appeared in my log !!!

Victor
Gi4ONL

Email the disruptive op directly. They might not otherwise realise this thread is aimed at them. By the same logic, most who do read this, don’t need to because they operate considerately.

On the Q codes, you might as well not bother. The “insistent” chaser will hear “QR” then assume that “Z” is about to follow, and will be already sending his call. Just keep repeating “/P?”, incessantly, and ignoring any QRM, until you get your target.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

…ust keep repeating “/P?”, incessantly, and
ignoring any QRM, until you get your target.

Tom M1EYP

Or until the battery runs out ;)))))

In reply to MM0FMF:

Is this disruptive station on the list that I circulated before the MT meeting, if so then he seems due for further action, if not he needs to go on the list, please let me know.

I don’t operate CW, but I know Q-codes and also know enough to have sent (CALLSIGN) NIL ! I agree with Victor, that pest should not have been worked.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:
hello Andy,
it is not only lack of knowledge but lack of listening and lack of thinking.
I tried to explain to a chaser that he should NOT start a CQ on the
activators QRG if he does not hear him because others possibly can and the
CQ makes the QRG unusable. But I found out he simply did not understand and
continues CQ calling on reported frequencies.
But for sure: bad operating practice happened already some 50 years ago
when I started at amateur radio.
73, cu on SOTA, and try to disregard the lids
Mike, dj5av

(CALLSIGN) NIL

Bad idea Brian. If you send the disruptive station’s call, they will assume they are being worked and go through the process of the despised “Phantom QSO”. Similar to if you call “QRX”, they will listen as far as “QR”, assume it’s going to be QRZ, and start sending their call.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G8ADD:

If you sent NIL NFO to me I would have no idea what it meant.

In reply to M1EYP:

I rarely have any problem with QRX, but surely the best Q code to use on CW is LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN sent slowly. Seems to work for me. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to M1EYP:

If you send the disruptive station’s call

I realise that now. The worst thing in my book is to work the disruptive station to get rid of them as that rewards their way of working. If it wasn’t for the fact the other station was a possible S2S I’d have packed up there and then. It became a matter of principle to get the portable station’s callsign.

I worked him on the next summit where his behaviour was FB.

Andy
MM0FMF

the best Q code to use on CW is LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN

What sort of Q code is that? 18 (or 20) characters, and doesn’t even begin with Q. I don’t think I can keep up with the pace of development of this hobby any more…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to G8ADD:

Not common currency and probably never was.

In reply to MM0FMF:

The average radio amateur nowadays has no knowledge of ‘Q’ codes. I venture to suggest that you would have more success if you tried the following:

10-3 "Stop transmitting"
10-6 "I am busy - stand by"
10-75 "You are causing interference"
10-77 "Negative contact"
10-92 "Your transmitter is out of adjustment"
10-100 “I am going to the rest-room”

Regards,
G3NYY

In reply to MM0FMF:

As one whose CW skills are very basic, I find that basic courtesy is more the issue than any particular use of Q-codes. Listening instead of sending, waiting your turn instead of making everything a competition and stomping over other signals, etc. I learned CW to pass my General test some years back, but have not had the time to practice to do it well. I am picking it back up specifically for SOTA.

While it is relatively easy to use what I call “fake SOTA-chasing CW” to gather chaser points from home, activating is challenging me to actually learn it properly.

On activations, I have been using AS rather than QRX to mean “wait”. And just sending whatever part of the callsign I can pick out with a ?. And once in a while sending QRS if the chasers are going too fast.

What do you think about using AS to mean wait?

Linda
AB7YL

In reply to M1EYP:

Oh Tom, you really are such a wag! Better 18 / 20 characters sent with a purpose than suffering over after over of some idiot making things difficult. Besides, at the rate you send CW, that’s only about 5 seconds of air time… :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to AB7YL:

What do you think about using AS to mean wait?

Hi Linda, that’s exactly what “AS” means either wait or stand-by.

Victor GI4ONL

In reply to GI4ONL:

Hi Linda, that’s exactly what “AS” means either wait or stand-by.

It’s not really AS of course. It’s .-… which is a prosign.

73 Richard G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
That is correct of course Richard but it’s hard enough to get operators to understand the Q codes without introducing the prosigns I did try to type it as it should be but couldn’t manage to get an overscore for some reason!

Victor GI4ONL

In reply to G3NYY:

10-3 “Stop transmitting”
10-6 “I am busy - stand by”
10-75 “You are causing interference”
10-77 “Negative contact”
10-92 “Your transmitter is out of adjustment”
10-100 “I am going to the rest-room”

Well, I had not realised you were an ex-CBer Walt. You are full of surprises.

73 Richard G3CWI