Datamode - FT8

The SYBA SD-AUD20101 is an inexpensive USB audio interface with good performance. It runs around $12 in the US. It goes up to 96 kHz.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006SF68P2/

Telepost tested a bunch of audio interfaces.

http://www.telepostinc.com/soundcards.html

wunder

Sound card on the Linx 8 is 48kHz/16bit now with the latest drivers, so no external USB card needed. The CPU handles decoding comfortably, it only spikes to 50-60% for less than 2 seconds. I am a bit worried that sometimes I see considerably more traces on the spectrum than decodes ā€¦ not much I can do about it I guess.

Not too happy about the QSO rate, even if I get 10+ reports per TX cycle (testing 50W in a vertical, :blush: ) and the band is busy there arenā€™t many takers for my UK call.

Cheers,
Razvan M0HZH / YO9IRF

1 Like

More traces and less decodes might be a frequency stability issue with your rig.

Paul

Do you suppose a Lynx would be up to running SDRuno?

I am amazed that you say this, Razvan. In the first week on FT8 (22 July - 29 July) I have made 450 QSOs, including more than 40 on the 60m band. Are there perhaps stations replying to your CQ calls that you canā€™t decode?

Walt (G3NYY)

The junky old Win8.1 tablet I picked up uses the same CPU as my Linx1010 (Z3735) but only has 1GB Ram and 16GB flash (most of which is used :frowning: ) but there was enough to install SDR#.

This old link shows it running SDR# with a USB DVB-T dongle:

So I think it may well be fine. You can pick up keyboard-less 10in Linx units (reconditioned) for about Ā£80 on a ā€œwell known Internet marketplaceā€.

Hi Walt,

I usually keep an eye on the waterfall, just to know if I need to prepare for a reply (thatā€™s a JT65 habit). Not much to see there.

But i do have quite a high RX noise level on my backyard vertical, so there might be replies completely buried in the noise. Iā€™ll take the setup out for a field test this week to G/CE-005, see if itā€™s better.

Razvan M0HZH / YO9IRF

Good idea, Razvan. Iā€™ll give you a call if I see you on the waterfall. I am fortunate to have a fairly low noise level at my home QTH, except on 160m.

Good luck with FT8!

Walt

Weā€™re hoping to put on an FT8 activation tomorrow evening (2017-08-1500 18:00 +/-). Please keep an eye out for us on pskreporter / sotawatch

Simon G4TJC and Helen M6HMK

I did two activations today in FT8 and also managed the first FT8 S2S, with OK1CYC (YO/WC-043 to OK/KR-001) on 7MHz. This mode is really fun in portable, at some point i was decoding at the same time on 20m stations from Indonesia and USA. Iā€™ve used 1W or 2.5W trom a FT-817.

Razvan M0HZH / YO9IRF.

1 Like

Really fun to make the FT8 S2S with Razvan today.
Thanks Razvan for waiting on the summit. Itā€™s always trouble to timeplan with two little daughters hiking with me :slight_smile:

@G4TJC Simon, Helen, I will do my best to be on SOTA around 1800 GMT tomorrow to try another S2S.

1 Like

My experience yesterday was mixed.

I was trying to get it going properly for about an hour before I gave up and went to CW. But then I realised my main mistake (rig on 20m, antenna set for 30m - oops!) and spent another hour trying again. I think I finally heard a reply to a CQ, only for him to fade away (a G). But I did finally achieve a few QSOs around Europe and was heard as far away as Brazil.

Trying to use Windows on an 8-inch tablet is horrible.

Heading out to YO/WC-001 right now, I should be on the air around 12:00 UTC, will be the 6th FT8 SOTA activation Iā€™m doing this week. This is from YO/WC-052 earlier today:

Looking for ideas what to checkā€¦

I have my FT-817ND connected to my ACER Windows 10 tablet running WSJT-x v 1.8.rc2 for FT8.
I am using a Wolphi link interface for the Audio circuits and an RT-systems cable for the CAT commands.

Cat commands working fine - test CAT and test PTT work 100%.

Sending appears to work fine also (although PSK spotter is not reporting the transmission). I have a 40db level receive audio level coming in (Iā€™ve tried up to 60db) the waterfall display shows signals but WSJT-x is not decoding the incoming data.

I have checked all settings against a working setup between my Windows 10 laptop (with the same version of WSJT-x and my ICOM IC-7300). Apart from the obvious comms port and rig type differences all other settings are the same. The configuration with the laptop and IC-7300 works 100% decoding incoming data and is spotted by PSK spotter on transmit.

I had thought that the windows tablet was not realising that an external ā€œMicā€ was plugged in previously but since reducing the resistance value acoss the 4 pin 3.5mm jack to 13K and checking everything, Iā€™m happy the only input to the tablet now is that being output from the FT-817.

The fact that the waterfall looks ā€œnormalā€ but nothing is decoding is what I find hard to explain.

Any ideas? Anything that needs changing in the FT-817 perhaps? Perhaps audio corruption coming in somewhere?

73 Ed.

You did set the MODE to FT8, did you ?
(Just asking because I wanted to test it on another laptop too, and a fresh install of WSJT-x defaults to JT65 mode ā€¦ kept me wondering for a while why it didnā€™t decode FT8 ā€¦ hi)

And for those that want to build a very easy and quick interface, here some plugging of my blog :

Almost all components come from the junkbox, it doesnā€™t have to be complicated to work !

And on the 44/48 kHz matter : I checked my Linx 7" tablet running Windows 8, and it has the 48 kHz setting (and cannot be changed), so Iā€™m lucky. Made 11 FT8 qsoā€™s last week from ON/ON-027.

Luc ON7DQ

Hi Luc,
Yes set to FT-8 - all settings the same as the working configuration.

I see you are using a KX-3, my problem may only be an issue from the FT-817 using the data in and data out pins of the data socket on the back of the rig.

The Wolphi-link Interface works fine between the 817 and an Android device, so I would have thought it would be OK with windows as well. Maybe not. Unfortunately I cannot use the built in windows line monitor function as that send the monitored output to the same 3.5mm jack and so unless I build a break out cable Iā€™m not going to get to that. At the moment my thoughts are around possible RF Ingress.

Ed.

Hi Ed,
I had the same problem, Maybe you should synchronize the clock.

Clock is synchronised - I am running Nettime on the tablet.

HOWEVER, YAHOO !! I have found the reason it wasnā€™t working.

In case others are using an FT-817 - this is important.

I set the FT-8 software to select the digital mode in the settings which it does via the CAT commands. In the FT-817 there is support in the menus for different data-modes and the default set-up is RTTY. RTTY ALWAYS uses LSB irrespective of band and of course all modern data modes use USB irrespective of band. When I changed the FT-8 software to use USB mode rather than data, it started recieving and decoding!!
Of course itā€™s better to have the narrower filters of the Digital mode, so I went in and configured the ā€œUSER-Uā€ mode in the FT-817 as the default digital mode on the FT-817.

I changed the WSJT-x FT-8 software back to use digital mode and PRESTO it kept decoding!! The drive level needed adjusting to remove any ALC and then checking PSK reporter and my 2.5 watts of FT-8 is being received by two lads in the North of Scotland - thanks guys!!

Big relief - the reason it wasnā€™t decoding was because the FT-817 was listening on the wrong sideband.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

And dont forget to change it back to LSB when you use voice on 40M. Dont ask why I know that, but thanks to VK2KEV for pointing this out to me on air last week when my CQ calls were unanswered.

Compton

2 Likes

Hi Compton,
He He, I could see that happening to me, however if I donā€™t switch the 817 from Data mode I wouldnā€™t get any modulation, so by default when changing back from FT-8 to Voice, Iā€™d be changing mode from DATA to LSB (or USB for 20m etc) in any case.

73 Ed.