A low-cost Windows 8 tablet for digital modes SOTA operations

I love my Moto G LTE (Android 4.4.4), it’s the only phone that’s never crashed on me and the lack of bloatware is a major plus. I get faster internet on my mobile than I do at home on 50Mb cable! A surprise to many, but I do actually get ( sometimes above) the speed I pay for.

I’m seriously tempted by a cheapo tablet, this thread has been interesting. I wonder if I could get my MTR to do PSK with a tablet.

Colin

Fldigi (multi-mode multi-OS) digital modes program seems to work FB on this Win8 tablet.

fldigi runs on any x86 CPU on Windows/OS-X/Linux. I downloaded the latest build on the tablet itself using Firefox. It installed without fuss and seems to work OK. To confirm it was working I downloaded the same version to my laptop (Win7-64) and with the Win8.1 tablet listening using its built mic and the laptop transmitting using its speakers tested a few modes between the devices. All the modes I tested worked.

It’s a bit difficult to use on a small screen but it ran fine, using the mode Olivia-4-500 for example, the tablet CPU load was 7% during rx and tx. Its hardly taxing the 1.3GHz quad core Atom. With Win8.1 booted and the display showing fldigi, classic desktop and Task Manager, 513MB of the 961MB available RAM is in use.

What I’ve noticed is the battery use when sleeping is high. A short press on the power button sleeps the tablet. I fully charged it last night and booted it about 7pm, showed it to a few people at the club and then left it in the shack asleep. Wifi and Bluetooth was enabled. This evening about 7.30pm the battery gauge said 56% available. Waking it up showed it was connected to my router. It had done that itself, when sleeping, when I brought into the house.

A screenshot of usable screen would be great with some software.

fldigi on the screen with an AA battery for scale.

1 Like

thanks

not bad at all! A bit of DM780 for PSK and some JT65/9 is all we need with this thing!

SDR# running wideband FM demodulation on BBC R3. You can see the DVB-T dongle to the left, it was about £7. The images show the spectrum analyser view, underneath the demod waterfall, bottom left is the IF view and bottom right the stereo multiplex view (spot the 19kHz FM stereo subscarrier).

Uses about 65% of the CPU processing power. Viable as a field SDR unit.

Well done well done, get better byt he day.

Do you think 2-3 hours is possible with usb (radio cat or sdr) attached is possible?
(Sdr maybe be give way less battery time than a usb cat + a lower cpu hungre software)

Thanks for sharing the news

Tasos

(Edit: sdr software is multi threaded or 65% of one core?)

It was 65% of all CPU resources… there are 4 cores on this Atom and no HT. The clock speed is dynamically scaled and the normal max is 1.33GHz with 1.85GHz bursts. It was saying 1.33GHz and all 4 CPU usage gauges were very busy.

Battery wise? With dependant usb?

Murphy’s law … the day you are going to get it… the price goes up… 79 at CPW… LOL

But it now comes with Office 365 subscription worth about £60.

49 was way better, not going to use the office thing. Ill wait to see if they are going to bring something cheaper.
but Murphy’s law always get you :slight_smile:

I though £49 was a good price for something to experiment with. £79 is too much. There is a Dell 7in tablet which is better for hardware than mine which is £99 but is offered at £79 with an Office 365 subscription included.

Exactly that!

Going portable with Log4OM

I have just completed testing Log4om on a Windows 8.1 Tablet and can confirm that the program runs quiet happily using Omnirig for CAT control via my G4ZLP Pro Three interface.

Data modes also worked well with FLDigi by using the RPC/XML connection provided in our Log4om communicator for transmit, receive and logging directly to the Log4om SQLite database.

The Log4om Winkeyer support also worked without issue using either the Winkeyer emulation built into the G4ZLP interface or my K1EL USB keyer.

Internet support for the Log4om cluster was achieved by setting up a hotspot on my mobile phone and connecting the tablet by Wi-Fi to the hotspot. My tablet is not 3G just Wi-Fi)

Because I store my SQLite logbook database on a Google drive (Dropbox would work the same) any QSO’s logged on the tablet are saved to the database and all of my normal computers get updated automatically – No need to export/import an ADIF file when I return home from a portable session.

SOTA activators can effortlessly log while in the field and enjoy synchronization of their logbook by using this set up. With all of the SOTA references saved to the correct ADIF fields ready for Log4om to generate the SOTA upload csv file

My hardware/software is as follows:

Linx 8 inch tablet Intel Atom Quad core processor with 32 Gb storage and 1 Gb RAM running Windows 8.1 (£89.99 from Amazon) There are many more Windows tablets with the same Intel processor at similar prices.

Micro USB to USB female OTG adaptor lead (£12.00 from Maplins)

G4ZLP Digimaster Pro Three CAT/Data/CW/FSK interface (I am sure that any similar interface would also work but I find the ZLP product to be 100% reliable.

I tried this set up with two different radios – Yaesu FT817 and an Icom IC7000 – Both worked fine.

Software: Log4OM – Omnirig – FLDigi

Recommendations:
Life will be easier if the user purchases a folio case with built in Bluetooth keyboard and mouse pad (Or Bluetooth mouse) instead of the tablet on screen keyboard.

Terry G4POP
Log4OM Development Team

2 Likes

Hi all,

Im testing a Dell Venue 8Pro (2gb/32HD) using JT65 mode.
Anyone tested this? For me it take more that the remaining cycle to decode the signal. Best case is to get the results around XX:55 or just at the beginning of the next minute.
CPU usage is low though.

Tasos

I saw an advert for the Linx 7 tablet today at Staples Office Supplies. This a 1.33GHz quad core Atom with 1GB RAM and 32GB SSD plus Win8 Bing edition. It was on sale for £49.95 including a free 1yr Office 365 subscription. This was the price after you had exchanged another tablet for a £30 cashback deal.

That is less than the cost of 1 year of Office 365 and you have a tablet to play with. You’ll need some tat tablet to exchange but if you can’t find something for a few pounds at a car boot sale to exchange you’re not trying hard enough!

Interesting, you can now get a combined Windows 10 (Home edition) / Android 5.1 tablet for €73 !

Ed.

I don’t see you getting much space left with win 10 and android with 32gb storage.

My W10 tablet/PC has 32GB eMMC like this and when the recovery, boot and basic install is on the machine there was about 20GB free. I pushed a fast 64GB SDcard in the slot for storage of maps and QST magazines.

The tablet you list has a better LCD and a newer CPU than mine. The thing with these designs is they are all essentially the same Intel example design made from the same chips. They should even have the same software fitted. The battery looks a bit small and it will be running Android on x86 which means native Android apps compiled for ARM need to get translated on the fly ( means not so quick ).

At the price it looks worth a punt but in the UK you’ll get hit with VAT etc. It’s not a lot of money for what it is and it is tempting to play with.

I have my 8in W8.1 tab here. It keeps telling me to fit W10 and I would as it is not bad but there isn’t enough Flash on it to install the update!

I would buy this W10 thing again. It does web/email/SSH/VPN/RDP and all my QSTs and maps too.