CW QSO on a guitar

ZL4RA

Bagpipes? I’d have to check with @MM0FMF to get the official word from the motherland and the no doubt numerous signoffs required.

If I showed up on a SOTA summit and disgraced myself and my forebears with an attempted bagpipe QSO I’m not sure I could look at myself in the mirror unfortunately.

Thanks for the warning Chris.
(Making a mental note to leave the headphones behind on my next activation & take earplugs instead)

True, I suppose. I remember a piper in full highland costume that used to work the car parks in Glencoe - it turned out that he was from Manchester! OTOH I remember a time when I was climbing on the outcrops in Glen Nevis there was a very skilled piper standing on a knoll well away from the road playing for pleasure, his mainly but mine too - it struck me that this is where the pipes are most at home. The way the sound of the pipes carry, they could achieve S2S contacts without radios!

1 Like

The crowd of admirers are keeping a respectful distance away, perhaps?

I remember being amazed to see a piper playing Scottish music at one point of my walk in Spain in 2019. The crowd of admirers was a mobile one, walking briskly past, but some stopping to drop a coin in, perhaps to say “please stop”?

1 Like

Indeed. I knew this.

If it helps, I’m 25% Norwegian, 50% mongrel. And despite what everyone thinks, my first name is French in origin! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I Remember that piper.!!
I can remember seeing him playing in front of buses in the car parks towards the eastern end of the glen. I always wondered how he arranged to meet the tour buses. But I guess they knew he’d be there and there’d be enough passing buses to make it worth his while staying for most or part of the day anyway.

During a “Last Munro” ascent on Ben Wyvis we had a piper play all the way from the car park to the summit - I could hardly breathe while walking up so goodness knows where he got the wind from!!

5 Likes

It’s surprising that you don’t have to go back too far to see how people were migrating to England, especially Liverpool which was a thriving and growing city with an enormous port.

At the great-grandparent level I have 2x Shetland, 1x Northern Ireland, 1x North Wales, 2x Michigan USA, 1x England (Liverpool) and 1x England (Cornwall). Apart from my American grandfather who arrived in Liverpool in 1918 at the end of WWI, all the others had left where they were born and moved to Liverpool by 1880-1890.

I can trace my paternal Unst ancestors to 1670-ish, my maternal American ancestors to 1648 and Scotland. I’ve not looked in detail at the others. The 1921 Census data is being released and there are some things I want trace in that. I never knew that my paternal grandfather had brothers and sisters when he was alive. Even my father was surprised to find his father had a brother (his uncle) who lived about 15mins walk from my grandfather. He found that out when my grandfather died, the brothers had fallen out and had lived close by but never bothered with each other for 50 years! Another younger brother would be in his 20’s when he disappears from UK records around1926 and probably emigrated I suspect to VK, ZL or VE. His sister was 9 in 1911 census but there is no more info on her I could find when I was last digging about in genealogy websites, probably succumbed to typical infant mortality of the period or was a victim of Spanish Flu in 1918.

Fascinating stuff finding out who you are from people who you never knew.

1 Like

[quote=“MM0FMF, post:27, topic:28676, full:true”]

Wow!!
Andy, thats the sort of stuff that you can often only find out by digging around the records.

Just to keep it completely off-topic:
My maternal great Grandfather was jailed for Sheep stealing, his two compatriots were jailed for bestiality.
I am really thankful I am the great grandson of a sheep thief :rofl:

3 Likes

To bring it back on topic, I like Roger’s bluesy flourish at the end of his over.

1 Like

This is awesome!

Wonderful, I am a piper of 30 years, I think I saw this same piper on the corner in 2019…

2 Likes

Giving morse a new boost! Just great!

Definition of a gentleman - someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but refuses to do so.

2 Likes

I appreciated this. Besides being a ham radio operator, I’m also a musician. Play guitar and sing. Never thought of using one for morse code though :slight_smile:

2 Likes