CW QSO on a guitar

I don’t think this has been posted before, so thanks Chris @ZL4RA for making me smile amongst all the bad news around at the moment:

:grinning:

Jonathan

28 Likes

Chris was using frequency shift fingering, a new mode.

Gave me a smile too.

3 Likes

I’m tone deaf… & speechless!!!
Errr, ummm Well done Chris

2 Likes

Our Chris @ZL4RA proving once again that he can do anything he sets his mind to!!
What’s next Chris? This one will take some beating! :wink:
Geoff ZL3GA

2 Likes

Connect the guitar as a paddle?

3 Likes

I’m waiting to see the reply on the bass from Tom M1EYP. I hope he won’t be accused of being off frequency. :grinning:

3 Likes

Brill, I’ve never thought about using a guitar for morse code before. Just had a quick go myself. Just as bad as my hand sent morse I think! :smiley:

5 Likes

Many years ago I was practising Morse code with my friend when the buzzer stopped working, so I continued with my clarinet. It needed some fancy triple tonguing so I got in practise for that at the same time!

5 Likes

Brian,
You and Chris should have a “QSO” over the telephone.
ron

2 Likes

Haha thank you gentlemen, apologies I didn’t realise this got posted here (thank you Jonathan!)

1 Like

I really really wanted to work a pileup on HF on the guitar but there is the whole “broadcasting” and “music” thing (I even checked with a ham lawyer and he said it was fine!) - but I checked with another ham (of arguably higher social standing hi hi) and he (though not a lawyer) thought it was a terrible idea so I opted for TXing via Zoom instead! :wink:

2 Likes

Haha brilliant, I copied up til about 24 seconds then honestly the extreme WPM bump had me stumped. :wink:

1 Like

Chris,
It’s legal. While arguably as much entertainment as serious transmission your signal would be confined to your normal ssb bandwidth. No worse than rtty. Better to listen to though. Any modulation method that does not exceed the relevant bandwidth and is not seriously encoded by means the authorities can’t use to copy your signals is legal.

Of course as it does occupy more bandwidth than a normal CW signal it would be best to stay in the usual ssb parts of the bands.

I suppose now we have to trade in our anvils and get a guitar, or a wind instrument. Bagpipes?

Ron
VK3AFW
PS
The social standing of a person is not correlated with knowledge or good sense.

2 Likes

Bagpipes? I’d have to check with @MM0FMF to get the official word from the motherland and the no doubt numerous signoffs required.

If I showed up on a SOTA summit and disgraced myself and my forebears with an attempted bagpipe QSO I’m not sure I could look at myself in the mirror unfortunately.

PS
Very true, I was just making fun of one of my two and a half friends.

Thank you Ron :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very nice Chris I enjoyed that…

John VK6NU

1 Like

This is brilliant! Bravo! :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

I made a contact with a german ham who makes some QSO in CW with something like a pipe or a clarinet !!! It’s a pity I don’t remember his call … 73 Nico

2 Likes

Funny things bagpipes. I not a fan in any way and I don’t know anyone who plays them. Unless you are in to Celtic music you only come across them at places where tourists are going to be fleeced.

Typically there’s a piper on the corner of Princes Street, a major tourist shopping destination in Edinburgh.

Though Princes Street is a bit sad now as two of the big department stores have closed. Jenners was a proper department store, a maze of rooms and passages, lots of high quality goods and they had a good coffee bar.

There is usually a piper playing on The Royal Mile (another popular tourist haunt) as well.

Notice how the sweet sounds of the pipes have drawn up a massive crowd of admirers :wink:

2 Likes

Although he does have roots here, unfortunately he’s a Sassenach, so you’re asking the wrong person. :wink:

Highland games. Weddings, funerals. Star Trek II. Hogmanay parties. Burns nights.

The massed pipes and drums at a Highland games can be a sight and a sound to behold.

4 Likes

Yes, but it’s hard to explain why massed pipes and drums seem so much more “correct”.

True. Though great-grandfather Alex was from Unst, Shetland. Though that might make him more Viking than properly Scottish! And great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather Robert left Selkirk/Hawick area for The New World in 1648. That’s only 28 years after The Mayflower!

3 Likes