Curious (and dangerous?) cows on Motta da Sett (HB/GR-275)

Bullocks.

1 Like

:joy:

The cow vs hiker problem is back in the news [if it ever went away]. So, just a reminder to be careful when hiking near cows especially if you have a dog with you and the cows have calves.

This example happens to be in the Tyrol but cows are cows everywhere.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/in-the-alps-hikers-on-the-trails-and-cows-in-the-pasture-make-for-perilous-pairings/2020/08/11/6020d77e-d044-11ea-826b-cc394d824e35_story.html

2 Likes

But not all cows are dangerous. A short distance from home and this is Ginger, my favourite. sheā€™ll come when called. Loves a scratch between his ears and the odd cuddle too. (So do I).

2 Likes

I am aligned with David on this. I spent about 15 years of my early life in a farming community and never had any problems with cattle. For quite a few years my morning task was to hand milk a Friesien cow and on a frosty morning, before 7.00 am there is nothing more comfortable to start the day than being tucked into the side of a warm Friesien cow milking it by hand. In my days after retirement from work, and signing up to be a National Park voluntary ranger, we came across cows with and without calves and never had any problems. If you understand them and you make it clear to them by your approach and behaviour, there shouldnā€™t be problems.

3 Likes

A cow who is called he? Er, thatā€™s unusual!

2 Likes

Ha ha, Andrew Iā€™ve just corrected that. Well spotted (but in fairness he, or is it she, could have been a young bullock. Its last years photo!.

Iā€™m with Andrew on this one and not the nay sayers. BEWARE. There have been too many farmers, vets and hikers injured and killed so I always remain aware of the risk from cows, bulls and bullocks. Its best to be aware and wary of the beasts in my opinion, although I am personally not afraid to walk near them, watching them carefully and making appropriate noises and gestures should it be necessary to deter them from getting too close.

73 Phil

1 Like

Cows are/were the UKā€™s most deadly animal apparently. Surprised me. Cows are the most dangerous animals in Britain, killing nearly 3 people a year | Metro News

2 Likes

Last week about 13 Red Poll and Belted Galloway cows got onto the access lane to my local SOTA summit, Arnside Knott (G/LD-058) via an open gate [I like to think it was a tourist who left it open rather than a local] and they were heading some at trotting speed down the hill only minutes away from a busy road. I had to call the police but managed to get in front of them [difficult and a bit dangerous on a very narrow lane] to turn them around but not before two wandered on someoneā€™s front lawn.

These breeds are common around here and usually docile being well used to walkers and despite occasional out of control dogs. I felt comfortable walking slowly with them even close to [but behind] the bull and two calves and was happy to herd them back up the walled lane until the farmer arrived to take over. However, I didnā€™t [and would never] take my eyes off them in case one of them got spooked and I needed to exit over the wall.

Yes, some farmers or farm workers may never or rarely have an incident but (insurance) statistics show they are the group most often seriously injured or killed by cows. Thereā€™s a common theme when farmers are interviewed after an attack ā€“ they say a placid animal they handle every day and which had never been a problem before, suddenly turned and attacked for no obvious reason.

Perhaps the farmer should have warmed his hands before attaching the milking machine? :wink:

2 Likes

Just for clarification and balance.

1. My 1st encounter with cattle was aged around 9. Iā€™d gone for a walk at the side of a river and when i returned there were a herd of young cattle surrounding my bike. My shouting at them led them to turn towards me. I backed off. They followed. I ran, so did they - but after me. So I ran quicker and at one point decided drowning by jumping into the river (I couldnā€™t swim then), was a better choice than being trampled/gored by a herd of obviously dangerous animals. Luckly I made it to another hedge and lived to tell the tale.

But I now know they were simply curious.

1. I have been ā€˜attackedā€™ by a cow, once whilst out running, and had I not paid more attention and saw the cause, I would have blamed the cow.
    I was out running and entered a rough old field full of gorse and long grass. A cow trotted over to me and I guessed it was down to their usual curiosity towards anything unusual - only this cow didnā€™t stop and kept taking swings at me with her head and I had dodge and fend her off. It was only then that I noticed the young calf laid partially hidden in the long grass - and Iā€™d run right between mum and her calf. I had to return that way later, so I made sure I didnā€™t make the same mistake this time and Mrs Cow just keep staring at me to make sure I didnā€™t.

Had I been less agile ā€¦who knows. ? And had I not noticed the calf, the cow would have been to blame!

1. Like Jim Iā€™ve enjoyed milking and working with cows when i lived in Ireland. Richard my neighbour and the farmer who owned them also kept the odd bull. The 1st one was a total softy. He would quite happily let you lay against his side when resting in the fields, but eventually was replaced by another. This other one was unpredictable and I know even Richard was wary of it. I appeared to be in a total state of annoyance with everything that happened anywhere near to it. It once went for us when we were tidying up silage covering and galloped of with a huge sheet of it around his head. Richard, got rid of it. (The bull that is - not the silage cover) The replacement was fine.

2. I think in general that younger cattle, not used to seeing people or dogs, are extremely curious and like my incident as a kid will gladly follow (or chase) after anything they donā€™t know. But as soon as you stop so will they.
    I live close to a well used public footpath - at the end of the Coast To Coast path out of Robin Hoodā€™s Bay.
    Twice after the farmer has put out a new lot of young cattle out for grass in spring, Iā€™ve ā€˜rescuedā€™ walkers whoā€™ve been ā€˜corneredā€™ by a group of young and curious cattle. Within a week or two the cattle take no notice.

3. As for what goes on or happens with fatal cases, especially involving farmers or vets Iā€™ve got no idea or clues. I guess like many animals or indeed most humans we canā€™t always know what goes on in their heads to cause this

I have been attacked by sheep on two occasions though and that seems less common luckily as I live in predominately sheep country!.

Yes - dog owners frequently say the same.

2 Likes

Yep - after about 30 years of dog ownership and walking them most days through fields of cows or sheep, Iā€™ve learnt to go out of my way to avoid walking the dogs near them especially if there are calves there. A farmer once told me itā€™s usually not the bull you need to watch as much as a cow with her calves.

2 Likes

When we got off the chair lift last Thursday to start our hike we saw a tourist family (mother with two little children) approaching a group of cows that were resting near the top station of the lift. She started stroking one of the lying cows with her kids standing next to her :roll_eyes:, obviously thinking that this was a petting zoo. We immediately told her to stop doing that and keep clear of the cows which she did in the end.
The other day there seemed to have been an incident in another part of Austria where tourists sat on a lying cow to pose for a picture - can you believe this!
I am not surprised that accidents happen when people behave like this.

We usually have our dog with us when we cross pastures with cows on them and always try to give them a wide berth. Weā€™ve never had any problemsā€¦

2 Likes

Yet another caution over cows with calves.