Completed the full set - at last!

In the recent holiday to EA8/TF, we finally completed the full set.

In my case, it has taken 14.5 years to actually achieve this. 11.5 years for Jimmy, who started activating 3 years after I did. It can be done a whole lot quicker, and yet many experienced Mountain Goats are yet to achieve this.

Achieve what?

The full set of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 13. (12 is not possible).

6 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Congrats!

OK Tom,

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I will ask what your set of 1-13 (minus 12) represents?

I’m guessing it’ something good! :wink:

73, Walt NE4TN

Hey Walt,

You are not alone. I have been trying to figure it out since he posted it! :wink: It is possible points per activation. I need a 3, 5 and 7 point activation to finish mine up.

73, pat - KI4SVM

Simples!

2 point activation + bonus = 5, 4 point activation + bonus = 7, and a second activation in the bonus period after one outside the bonus period = 3.

Thanks Brian,

Here we can’t get the bonus on a summit worth less than 6 points. So 5, 7 and 12 points are not possible. That’s why I couldn’t understand what Tom was referring to.

Thanks, Walt

You could always have a holiday over here and collect the full set!:grinning:

1 Like

I’m not sure which US associations allow winter bonuses for Summits under 6 points, but I found out this week that apparently W0D does. At first I was confused as to why W0D/ND-006 gave me 5 points. So I guess I only have 3 and 7 left?

When in doubt, ask the database.

Enter the name or ref (or partial details) into the box: SOTA Database and you get this.

Then click the Summit Info and you get this.

Or you can view the lists of summits for each region with from SOTA Database where you need to select the association and region from the drop down menus.

It’s another quiz. Tom loves mysteries.

1 Like

It took Mr slowcoach here a while to figure it out, and by chance I just need a 3 to complete - I’ll have to set one up for December! Another nice little challenge, Tom :smile:

Adrian
G4AZS

3 is the hardest one to get, because you have to activate a winter bonus summit OUTSIDE of bonus period, then activate it again INSIDE the bonus period within the same calendar year! I’ve only got it twice I think!

I have them all except 5 which won’t happen anytime soon, because in GI or EI we don’t have any 2 pointers with winter bonus.
The lowest winter bonus summits in GI are all 4 points and up or in EI, 6 points and higher :disappointed:

I can’t see me making a trip anywhere just to get it :wink:

Victor GI4ONL

1 Like

In vk1 the bonus doesn’t apply below 4 point summits, in vk2 it doesn’t apply below 8. So in vk1: 5 and 12 are impossible, in vk2: 5, 7 and 12 are impossible.

It is possible to earn 12, 16 or 20 from one summit in a day, on New Year’s Day as the UTC 0000 occurs at 11am local DST. As it’s summer then here, no bonus applies. It’s different in vk6 where there are summer bonuses for remote summits so there you could earn up to 26 on NYD by qualifying before and after 8AM local time.

What next? Summits where the one-way distance walked is a prime number, in furlongs and km? Nobody’s that mad!

1 Like

Are you sure…?

If the answer to that is found in the database I will admit defeat. Andy?

Oh this is could end in tears…I’m not getting involved! I have some proper radio stuff to do, like finding a cheap crimp for RG58 and RG316 sized cables. I know I can find something where the die is made out a mixture of bananas and custard from a “100% top quality” vendor on Alibaba.com but I want to do more than one crimp before the tool breaks. Yet I only want to pay “one pound, one and onepence” as my brother-in-law would say. :wink:

File bonus situation (at least in VK1) under “It’s complicated.”

Back away slowly…

Then run!

:wink:

Nothing complicated about it at all.

If 13 points are collected on UTC 31st December then another 13 are collected on UTC 1st January, then that’s not “in a day”.

VK1DA - if you can show me any Database activator log that shows 26 (or 20 or 12) points from a single summit reference recorded against one date - then I will admit defeat :wink: