Completed the full set - at last!

Ah time expressions and measurement. Something so simple we all know what it is until we try and define it. And when we do try, the words tumble on to the page in a mêlée of thought and concepts. Or as Proust would say “la malade imaginaire de recondition et de toute surveillance est bientôt la même chose”.

I was alluding to the intresting allocation (or not) of bonuses to two-pointers in VK1. There’s probably some logic behind it…

Rick,

Don’t get the VK1s started on that discussion! Some of them complain that their 1 pointers would be worth more points next door in VK2… They seem to be happy in some respects that some of their 2 point summits gain the winter bonus.

Basically comes down to the local topography: most of the ACT sits on a plain at 600 m or above, with the lowest point at about 430 m deep in a river valley. Then they have lots of high hills. The height bands for summits was determined to a give the standard spread of point values. The standard (for Eastern Australian states) 1200 m and above rule for Winter Bonus (High peaks subject to snow and ice, high winds, and many road closures adding significantly to summit remoteness) applies to the ACT, thus some 2 point summits gain the bonus. Simple.

Way off topic for this thread though… Like others, I am lost as to the original statement but have not gone looking for the answer.

Cheers,

Peter VK3PF

TBH, I was a bit surprised to discover that the bonus didn’t apply to every summit worth more than one point, though I can (now that you explain it) see how it ended up happening. Of course it does make Tom’s set (at the top) trickier to collect if you can’t easily find two-pointers that attract a bonus, but there are some in VK1.

(I’ve only collected 0, 1, 5, 8, and 10, so quite a way to go. :wink: )

Don’t get the vk5’s started on winter bonus points either no such thing here.
Congratulations Tom and Jimmy on your achievement and commitment to the great cause.

In VK6 you can get bonus points for 1 pointers as there is no minimum height set for bonus, some regions there have summer bonus, some other regions there have winter bonus and the rest of the regions there don’t have a bonus.

Jimmy M0HGY

Andy, I just got one of these:

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-s-kit/6pk-330k/tool-kit-coax-crimp/dp/TL07317

I’ve tried it on RG316 + SMA plug and it worked nicely. I just got some cheap Chinese BNCs to try…

(The stripper doesn’t work well on RG316 not surprisingly - I need to find something better)

No contest there at all. It won’t be on the same UTC day. And to attract a winter bonus on 1 Jan, it has to be in the northern hemisphere. The US and Japan are the main candidates, with UTC 0000 occurring in (almost) daytime in the US, and mid morning in Japan.

My more urgent goal is to enthuse the hams of Sydney where they have 5 million people and 2 summits. We have several keen activators from the Sydney area (2IO, 2HRX, 2JDL spring to mind) and a few more chasers but the hundreds of potential activators are still declining to engage.

I was hopeful at one point that we could sink the SY region’s prominence requirement to allow a few lower summits to join in the programme, but the formulas applying the exceptions are too stringent. Even 20m lower would make a difference. It would allow dozens of summits to peek above the parapet, so to speak. The problem is that the Sydney basin is a very small fraction of the state (=association in SOTA speak) and although we have a few regions in the west of VK2 that are each larger than some significant European countries, they are not contiguous with SY so we can’t join them up and obtain an exemption under the current rules.

Of course, speaking of France, we are reminded of the recent split. If SY region was an independent association, like the VK1 or ACT (which is somewhat smaller), it would possibly be able to request a prominence exemption and thereby add some more summits, grow the programme and enthuse more operators.

I’d better go to work before I think of any more disturbing options.

73 Andrew VK1DA VK2UH

More Python than Proust I would say :joy: Nice one Andy!

I wondered if anyone would notice. :wink:

1 Like

Completed that lot back in 2009… except for 0 and 3, which are a bit difficult to do on unique summits :-s

(Yes I know I could do 0 easily enough but can’t bear the thought of making a summit out of bounds…)

…so NOT completed then? :wink:

Yes, the ONLY way to do 3 is to revisit. You COULD get the 0 as you say, with 1, 2 or 3 QSOs, and you would still get the all-important activator unique. It would be a question of how much you could stomach not collecting the points!

You could consider relaxing your self-imposed rules - at least on your Class B callsign!

Done long since Tom :slight_smile: G6GGP only needs 3,4,10,11 and 13 - might go for it! (When Life permits :-s)

73 de Paul G4MD

1 Like

Aha, there you go, great minds… :wink:

I cannot see any activation on your G6GGP account where you got 0 points Paul.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Try Walton Hill G/CE-002 on 25th April 2015

Yes, spotted that one now Paul. I thought you’d keep to your 100% unique record on your G6GGP account as well as your G4MD account.

Jimmy M0HGY

Hi Jimmy

That was the original plan but something better came up :slight_smile:

73 de Paul G6GGP

2 Likes