Common cw phrases in different languages

… it’s been a while since I last updated the CW list.
Here is the latest version. Feel free to comment, share, download, …

Download the Excel file here: Link (now updated to correct version)
73, Roman

10 Likes

Hi Roman,

Why no line for G (or general “English” QSO) ?
It would look like this I think:
G TNX/TKS HI GM GD GA GE GN GB (? I’ve never been hugged in CW :frowning: , and to be honest, not in phone either haha )

In ON, we tend to follow the English way, I don’t know of any specific abbreviations in Dutch.
In a ragchew qso we would just send it all in plain text.
Maybe someone else in ON or PA knows more?

Also, French stations often send 73 at beginning of QSO, as a form of “Hello”, so I would add 73 in the Hello column.

Luc ON7DQ

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, Luc!
I think most of the CW operators know the English abbreviations by heart. So it would just add a line with little extra information.

“73” as a form of “Hello” in French will be added in the next version.

Have a good weekend, 73,
Roman

1 Like

Hi Luc,

73, Jarek

10 Likes

If my memory is correct, the non English merchant marine, radio operators I heard, used English abbreviations mostly and, in my limited time as a ham I hear most (?) hams of different nations using English abbreviations, even when communicating with fellow countrymen (& women!).

I must try to use some of the other european abbreviations also, so thank you - sorry! DK Roman & AWDH.

‘DSW’, The Russian for Thanks or Thank you puzzled me until a Russian speaker told me that Spasibo ('thanks) is written in the Cyrillic alphabet as 'Спасибо’ and the pronunciation is roughly as it is written in Roman numerals as ‘Spasibo’.

~But as the Cyrillic alphabet has its own different morse code the 3 letters we write as DS &W, are actually 3 Cyrillic letters taken from Спасибо — the letters :-
п ** _ . .**
c ** …**
б ** . _ _**

I do try to use it with Russian operators, but TU is quicker!

David

1 Like

That‘s interesting… I always thought DSW was short for „Do svidaniya“ (goodbye) :see_no_evil:

Me too… :blush:

You have that all mixed up.
‘Spasibo’ (thank you) is SPB, that is:
c ** …** English “s”
п ** ._ _ .** English “p”
б ** _…** English “b”
DSW is abbreviated Russian Do svidaniya (Досвидания) or English Good Bye:
д ** _ . .** English “d”
c ** …** English “s”
в ** . _ _** English “w”

Regards & 73!
Andrei

3 Likes

Thanks for clarification, Andrei!
It’s good to have the explanation from a native speaker :slight_smile:

This reminds me that more explanations are available on the original thread:

73, Roman

It was probably around 1972 when I was told that. A long time has passed. I guess my memory isn’t so good !!!.

Thanks for correcting me, Manuel, Guru and Andrei.

David

Hi
within your topic for qso text information in different languages, I strongly recommend the following link:

For those who regularly send qsl cards or any other regular postal letters to foreign countries I have a load of links to information regarding how to write an address in the language of your qso partner, and how an address is written elsewhere.
For example PO Box:
Italian: C.P.
Hungarian: P.F
Finland: PL
Lithuania: P.D.
Romania: C.P.
etc etc

2 Likes