Colour blindnesss

It occurs to me that a serious act of discrimination is taking place without repremand.

The majority of males in particular, are colour blind, many dont admit it, yet I see that the major Radio manufacturers persist in creating chargers etc., with LED’s changing from red/green. This is not refined to our hobby alone.

How are they allowed to get away with this, knowing that so many cannot distinguish correctly?

Also, do you know if you are putting a brown bottle in a green bottle recycling bin?
Why should we be publicly embarrased?

In reply to M6PEW:

The majority of males in particular, are colour blind,

Approx 8% of males are colour blind. 92% are not. So this must be the new PC definition of majority where everybody is special and nobody is different!

:wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hold on there Andy, I was just preparing a more polite answer to a quite vaild point that Paul is making.

I hope to include some reference to the invention of the first LED & it’s progress at some point, but mainly that colour blindness should not limit anybody’s career choice, once they know how to deal with it.

Red/Green is not discrimination.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Ok, so why anyway?
Why should I not know when changes have completed?
Can you suggest to me a work-around that doesnt cost?

In reply to M6PEW:

Paul,

Have you only just found out that you are Red/Green colour blind?

A simple piece of the correct colour of optical filter over any Red/Green LED’s you have, will do the job. Available very cheaply at any camera shop, or possibly opticians.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:
Thanks for the advice, why couldnt my optician advise this.
Why not the manufacturers to 8% of their potential customers?

Brown bottles?

In reply to M6PEW:

I’m sorry Paul, my beer is in Cans Hi!

Seriously, Red/Green colour blindness should not, & will not hold you back in life once you know how to deal with it in your own situation. You may not get to go to Mars, but even that may be possible now with the progress made in display technology over the past few years.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to M6PEW:

You’re the 1st RG colour blind person I’ve come across who can’t tell the difference on LEDs. I’ve worked with several RG blind electronics engineers over the years who never had a difficulty telling the difference between red and green LEDs. Colour bands on resistors were a problem for them but that is solved with a DVM. (Must get a new high voltage battery for my AVO8 if they are still made.)

The only problem they all had was setting the brightness of red displays. Due to their reduced red sensitivity they tend to set red displays far too bright for people with normal RG vision. It was a case of “is this too bright?” where the reply would be “yes”. Adjustment of the series resistors was needed. In fact the RG people I know used the dullness of red objects as they saw them as a big hint that the item was probably red.

So normally the brighness change is the giveaway when the led changes colour. As Mark says a red filter will attenuate other coloured light than red and the same for green filter. AS long as you know which filter is which you can tell the colour of the LED if the brightness is not enough.

Whilst you are one of 283million men with colour blindness that’s only 1 in 12 of the world male population and that does not make up the majority! Neither does it make your condition particularly rare. My daughter’s chromosome translocation makes her 1 of about 10000 in the world, that’s quite rare.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

’ (Must get a new high voltage battery for my AVO8 if they are still made.)’

Maplin do them Andy (BLR121) but they are £9.99!

Ron,GW4EVX

In reply to G0VOF:

I’m sorry Paul, my beer is in Cans Hi!

Philistine!

There is an excuse for colour blindness, but no excuse for beer in cans. You will be telling us next you drink lager. ;0)

Steve GW7AAV

Oh to PEW and on topic… of the 1 in 12 colour blind only a small proportion of those can’t tell the difference between red and green LEDs. Note that some manufactures have the LED flash while charging so it is not an insurmountable problem, but I think you need to approach those who make the chargers many of whom will not read this reflector thread, me thinks.

In reply to GW4EVX:

Maplin do them Andy (BLR121) but they are £9.99!

I think 5x CR3025 Lithium cells for £3 from eBay sounds better. There’s just the problem of joining them together. They should last longer, I’ve got a 3V Lithium coin cell in a calculator that is 25 years old this summer and is still working FB. The one in my AVO is from 1994-ish, I picked it up at a Drayton Manor rally ISTR.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Brown/ green bottles?

In reply to GW7AAV:
Brown/ green bottles?

In reply to GW4EVX:
Brown/ green bottles?

In reply to M6PEW:

What about brown/green bottles?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to GW4EVX:

I’ve got a 3V Lithium coin cell in a calculator that is 25
years old this summer and is still working FB. The one in my AVO is
from 1994-ish, I picked it up at a Drayton Manor rally ISTR.

In 2009 Andy, I purcased a quantity of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA cells. Their use by date was 2023!

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to M6PEW:

In reply to GW7AAV:
Brown/ green bottles?

There is usually a sign which says it is okay to put any glass in the brown bin if the others are full so stick them all in there, although I never figured out where to put the brown ones if that bin was full too.

;0) Steve

In reply to M6PEW:

It occurs to me that a serious act of discrimination is taking place
without repremand.

The majority of males in particular, are colour blind, many dont admit
it, yet I see that the major Radio manufacturers persist in creating
chargers etc., with LED’s changing from red/green. This is not refined
to our hobby alone.

How are they allowed to get away with this, knowing that so many
cannot distinguish correctly?

I am not being unsympathetic, OM … but you will be telling us next that red and green traffic lights are discriminatory against colour-blind people! How do you cope with them?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

That’s a thought, Walt! How unfairly discriminatory nature is, to provide red roses with green leaves so that the colour-blind minority cannot enjoy them properly! :wink:

In fact I am in a disadvantaged minority myself, I do not have binocular vision and cannot even imagine what any of the current rash of 3D films look like to those with normal vision. Fortunately the films are probably no better than the usual rubbish!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I think the sota logo needs to be changed too. I always thought a brown square with a man floating in space was a poor logo.

Richard
G3CWI