Checklist needed

Have you noticed how many activation reports feature limitations caused by accidentally leaving items at home? Same thing world wide. The obvious solution is a checklist, but I can’t find one in the files section of NASOTA or any other site. In the Reflector, there was a two year old M6CSS thread entitled “What do you take”. Using that and my recollection of a list I used as a teen trekker, here is a new list. It is intended to be exhaustive for one-day trips and added to various files-sections after I categorize it. Users can then reduce it, individualize it and print it. Prior to that, please supply items to add. I know I left something out…what is it?

What to take:

Checklist, backpack with gardeners kneeling pad, radios, mic, headphones, keyer paddle, tuner/balun, transmission line, adapters (sma-bnc), antennas (hf-vhf), tripod-base, fish-rod/mounting spike & velcro straps, counterpoise, fully charged batteries/power cable, clip leads, fuses, tape, cordage, tent stakes, light hammer, fishline, 2 oz sinkers, slingshot, waterproof log, 2 pencils, Swiss army knife, cigarette lighter, chapstick, light tarp, water bladder, food, headlamp, orange survival bag, pistol (where legal), bear spray/bell, whistle, signalling mirror, binoculars/camera, altimeter, thermometer, alarm clock, GPS/map/compass, Bushnell backtrack, locator beacon, phone, APRS, mini-stool, spare vehicle key, copy of radio license, layer clothing/rain gear, hat, gloves, goggles, sunscreen, spare socks, trekking poles, snow gear, boot traction devices, towel, mini-dictaphone, first aid kit, bug repellent spray.

Before going on the trail:

Test all equipment at home, add name and phone number to all items, use checklist at home and again when arriving at trailhead, post SOTA alert, pre-hydrate, do final weather check, call home with location of trailhead and summit plus estimated times, place everything on bonnet/hood of vehicle while getting organized before the climb, lock vehicle.

At the top:

Safety first, don’t run out of sunlight, leave no trash or gear behind, show the simple courtesy of taking out other’s trash, announce your new freq when you QSY and when you QRT, consider returning to original freq right before going QRT, use all your tools to find your way back down to the trailhead.

Back at the vehicle:

Put everything on the hood while stowing gear, don a dry shirt, call home, drive safely.

Looking forward to your additions.

Thanks,

Elliott, K6ILM
#1 Calif Chaser
The opinions are all in, and there are items to add to the list set out at the start of this thread. In that missive, I said there was something I couldn’t remember, and it is the flag! No one caught that. Take your flags, both SOTA and national…but don’t plant the latter as a claim of territory for your monarch. That’s been done once or twice… sometimes with short effect (tsk, tsk). To be added other than flags: summit designation with alerted frequencies, standard QRP and FM frequencies, human waste sack with paper, equipment mini-manuals/cheat sheets, small ruler, plastic envelope for money/papers/license, route plan, sunglasses, antenna insulators. I decided against adding G3CWI’s trousers due to difficulty reproducing the stains, holes and tatters.
At the summit, I added language about being wary of animals and weather/lightning. Post-summit, I mentioned writing resource tips on the summit info page for the benefit of other activators. The list is to be pared-down and personalized before printing, and it does not include any items for overnight trips or snow gear.
Thanks to G8ADD, GM4COX, C3CWI, KJ6OGE, MMoGYX, MM0FMF, and especially OH7BF/F5VGL. The list will be added to the files section of the NASOTA Yahoo group. Please find other places to install it for easy access/improvement, and for parallel lists for clothing, two-day trips and snow gear.

Elliott, K6ILM

Be a Hero
Get Glass

In reply to K6ILM:

Hi Elliot,

I think everybody should make their own checklist.

My checklist

http://sral.fi/oh7bf/f5vgl_station/SOTAlightweight.txt

This one is adapted from ski touring list

http://sral.fi/oh7bf/f5vgl_station/SOTAchecklistF5VGL.txt

Typical route plan

http://sral.fi/oh7bf/f5vgl_station/SOTAroute.txt

Useful frequencies Region 1

http://sral.fi/oh7bf/f5vgl_station/SOTAfrequency.txt

The manuals can be replaced with a simple cheat sheet

http://sral.fi/oh7bf/f5vgl_station/VX7Rcheats.txt

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to K6ILM:

Checklists are a very individual thing, many of the items on your list would not appear on mine! A nice grassy tump worth one or two points needs a different preparation to a mountain worth ten points that might involve scrambling or snow and ice gear. In fact there is a basic checklist on the website: Summits on the Air and a checklist of safety items on many if not all of the US ARMs. The rest is up to the individual.

I keep a rucsac permanently packed with all my SOTA gear except for the SLABs and the rig: the rig gets used at home, and the SLABs are charged up the day before a trip so they go in at the last minute. Similarly all the gear for the hill is ready packed except for food and drink, and the relevant maps and summit information.

Preparing for an activation is simple, then. Pack the few items that are not kept in the rucsac, and when it comes to time to leave the car, decide between walking poles and ice axe+crampons (which latter will always go in the car between October and April.)

After a trip any equipment problems are dealt with - particular attention paid to plugs - and the walking gear is cleaned, boots waterproofed etc, and the maps replaced in their proper places on the shelf!

One cannot be ready for everything: for instance I had the socket knocked off a home-brew tuner by a rock dislodged from the wall of a shelter (a simple ring of piled stones) by the coax lead. Then there was the time a SLAB got too cold and refused to power the rig! In the end, though, it all becomes second nature: when you have walked the hills for fifty years you don’t leave your boots at home!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
How about my case yesterday Brian, leaving my watch at home (“First time for everything”). Luckly I had my mobile phone but no service, tucked in out of the wx, just below GM/SS-024. A bit of a bind when the display kept dimming after 30 secs - I was in the middle of ‘pile-up’ on 20M and didn’t have a chance to change the settings - hi!

Simple things!

Cheers
Jack (:>)
GM4COX

In reply to GM4COX:

Bad luck, Jack - who would think to put a wristwatch on a checklist! I would have used the mobile, too, but I would have just noted the start and finish times and interpolated - good enough now we are not obliged to keep a log by law!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I have yet to forget my trousers but maybe they should be on the list? Jack activates in a kilt I think, so trousers and underpants could be omitted in his case.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to G8ADD:

I have yet to forget my trousers but maybe they should be on the list?
Jack activates in a kilt I think, so trousers and underpants could be
omitted in his case.

…but not the Goretex overkilt and sporran bag!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Now where’s that Claymhor o’ mine? I’ll sort ye’s oot if ye huve anymore of yer nonsense!!

(:>)

In reply to GM4COX:

Claymore Mine - that will keep the midges away!!

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to OH7BF:

Here is a small QSL-card size useful frequency list for region 1 with a SOTA logo

http://sral.fi/oh7bf/sotafreqs.pdf

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

Edit: stay tuned!

In reply to K6ILM:

Here is one item not to forget at home: The SOTA number of the peak. Forgot to take that with me on my first (and so far only) activation. A kind chaser looked it up for me, fortunately. Dont think Ill forget again, however.

Thanks…Robert KJ6OGE

In reply to KJ6OGE:

If you think giving the wrong ref is a problem then imagine what it’s like when the you do it and you’re association manager! Twice! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

That could be a serious issue for us wee sassenachs Andy - how do we explain which summit we are on when we are up in the wilds of Scotland? For example… GM/NS-049 Beinn Liath Mhor a’Ghiubhais Li or GM/NS-006 Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair. I think these names are designed to put us English off activating them. :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Beinn Liath Mhor a’Ghiubhais Li
Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Say 'em as they’re writ! :slight_smile:

ben lay vor a-zzjou-ish lee

mull-ack corry vic ffffearkkk-ar

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I thought “fh” was silent.

In reply to MM0FMF:

Beinn Liath Mhor a’Ghiubhais Li

Say 'em as they’re writ! :slight_smile:

ben lay vor a-zzjou-ish lee

Thats so not wots writ, Andy! :wink:

Important note to self - MUST remember SOTA reference for hills when activating in GM.

Karen
2E0XYL (Sassenach with Scottish grandparents)

In reply to 2E0XYL:

Thats so not wots writ, Andy!

It’s not writ in English!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

We are on shaky ground here - the Gaelic has regional accents and even the scholars disagree about pronounciations! For instance I have it on good authority (if such exists!) that Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair sounds as Mullahk Corra Vik Errachar where the hk represents a shortened Gaelic ch and rr is rolled. English speakers often forget to roll the r’s! Beinn is often anglicised to ben but should sound more like pane. Gh is a difficult one, it is more or less aspirated, I like your zzh transliteration but think of it more as a soft hg myself. However we sassenachs pronounce it we will get a knowing smile from a Gael, our accent cannot be hidden, but with care at least a Gael should know what we mean to be saying!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

We are on shaky ground here

You might be. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Well my version is closest to the recording on walkhighlands!

Brian G8ADD