Cheapest SOTA 70cm Tracker?

Someone was asking about the cheapest way to get a LoRa Tracker. I would get a 433MHz T-beam board from Amazon (about £33 delivered). It comes with an antenna. The plastic case it comes with can be macgyvered into a makeshift case. After that you just need an 18650 battery (vape shops sell them). There will shortly be an online software flasher so that will make setting it up very easy. That way you could have a plug-and-play tracker for about £38.

Edited. Nearly as cheap from Amazon plus you do need a board with a display. The previous link I gave didn’t have a display.

2 Likes

In case anyone else found themselves in the same state of intrigue as I…

5 Likes

I thought it was someone local to us.

3 Likes

You’d have been about 15 or so when it started and it was aimed squarely at teenagers so I am surprised you never watched it. Saturday early evening if my memory serves me correct.

3 Likes

Macgyver is used a lot more over the pond. :us:

The T-beam tracker works well and is easy to set up. Yes, the supplied plastic box can easily be bodged to make a case for the tracker. The SMA antenna socket has five pins, four corner ground pins and a centre pin. Only two of the four ground pins are soldered to the board, so care has to be taken not to put stress (ie a large antenna load) on the socket.

Don’t ask me why I know this…

5 Likes

That’s what I’ve been using for the last year and that makeshift case (packed out with foam) has protected it well, incuding from a fall 2m onto concrete!.
Upgrading the GPS antenna to a larger panel helps it get initial lock quicker (sometimes took >10 mins on the original one) and a lightweight quarter-wave is more effective than the little helical.

2 Likes

Same Board is available here, on Ali Express, around a tenner cheaper! The amazon one Richard has linked to has £8 p&p on Making it £40, despite my prime! Ali express is ex VAT but free p&p for £23 + VAT!

Alan

3 Likes

When the term gets mentioned I tend to think first of the Apollo 13 crew, who had to do quite a bit of that sort of thing to get themselves home…

(…and yes, they did it long before the TV show that spawned the term.)

2 Likes

Just make sure you select the right board for your needs.
Screen/no screen
915/868/433Mhz

And like everything on AiExpress, the price changes when you do so.

4 Likes

This is the cheapest option in my opinion.

and all in all very small.

5 Likes

yes, but that doesnt come with the battery charging stuff, and the built in 18650 carrier does it??

Alan

2 Likes

Charger is build in.
It has also USB-C
U need only attach an 18650 to positive and negativ wire.

Julian

2 Likes

ahhh ok, fair enough! Might look at one of them too… I did quite like the idea of a fully self conained unit!

Thanks - Alan

1 Like

IMHO the Heltec Wireless Tracker is the best and (probably) the cheapest LoRa EU433 tracker that can be bought - and is available for around £25 (including 7 day delivery and import tax) from AliExpress. As always with AliExpress, the prices do vary massively, and I have paid anything between £16 and £27 for them. One just has to be vigilent for when offers become available.

There are lots of cases available on Etsy and eBay for this board, some including antennas and batteries but these are all have Meshtastic labelling all over them. I therefore decided to design one (without all the Meshtastic branding) and this is what I came up with:

These are the same LoRa APRS trackers that Richard has kindly been putting together, configuring and shipping here on the reflector to encourage the up take of this techology. The case (front and back sections), the switch, JST switch PCB (so no soldering required), SMA connector, 2500mAH LiPo battery, rear clip, wrist strap and desk stand can be yours for just £10. If you factor in £25 for the cost of the Heltec Wireless Tracker board (and use the stubby SMA antenna that comes with it) that works out at around £35 for a complete tracker. For a little more money (£5.54), one can upgrade the stubby antenna to a RF solutions FLEXI-SMA-433 1/4 wave whip which is what I use:

Richard put a call out a few days ago asking if anyone would be interested in one of the LoRA APRS trackers:

Alternatively if you fancy sourcing the Heltec Wireless Tracker board yourself (or already have one), or you fancy compiling and uploading the software from Rich’s git repository (GitHub - richonguzman/LoRa_APRS_iGate: LoRa APRS iGATE for ESP32 Based Board with Rx + Tx capabilities), the case kit (as described above) can be yours for just £10 (including postage).

Dave

7 Likes

BTW, switch is not needed.
Ricardo implemented the triple click. Its switching off the Tracker. And after a click on the reset button its turning on again.

Julian

1 Like

The triple click is a poor substitute for a physical switch. It’s hard to do reliably and is not always successful. A real switch is definitely better.

6 Likes

of course it is. But if u are using the Tracker a few times per weeks its enough!
If you are using it only once per month then I would add a swtich.

1 Like

Looking good OM.

3 Likes

I must admit, they do seem more popular, i was just going simplicity! an “all in one solution” if you will…

Now this, i like the sound of, i also like the look of it too! there is a WIDE selection of antennas available, i have some old baofeng HH ones somewhere, off radios that have broke/been repurposed! I take it those are available through yourself?? also what Heltec unit do i need? the ones i have seen dont seem to have GPS on them!

Yes I have been in touch with him, and should be on the list, however if i can build one in the mean time… Thanks Dave!

Alan

2 Likes

I too have a load of old flexible handheld antennas, but they are generally designed for 2m and tend to “work” ok at 70cm ( 430MHz is close to the third harmonic of 144MHz). I have tested many on the VNA and they are generally pants. The RF solutions Flexible 433 antenna Richard has been shipping with the LoRA APRA trackers is specifically designed to be resonant around 430MHz. As amateur radio kit goes, it’s also pretty cheap at just £5. If you buy it from CPC, and make the order up to £20 with other goodies, then shipping is free:

https://cpc.farnell.com/rf-solutions/flexi-sma-433/antenna-flexi-sma-433mhz/dp/RF00343

If you would like one of the cases Alan, to construct the tracker yourself, feel free to DM on here. I have enough parts to make 5.

The board you want is this one. Unlike the Heltec V3 Wifi boards it has a GPS so is ideal for a tracker - hence the name:

Dave

2 Likes