Change to the way the reflector works?

Hi All

I may be hallucinating but… it seems the way the reflector displays threads has changed? Until sometime yesterday on the Home page titles of threads with posts I hadn’t read were darker, and changed to a lighter grey when I’d read them… now they all seem to be uniform black? Also there now seems to be an orange “last visit” marker line in individual threads…

Have I inadvertently adjusted something in my settings, or has there been a global change in the way the reflector works?

73 Paul G4MD

2 Likes

Barry @GM4TOE just asked the same question in the MT reflector. I’ve been wondering why it looked different and the unread threads in black, read threads in light grey has changed. The last visit marker has been there for ages. According to the admin dashboard Discourse (this software) was updated 2 days ago.

Jim @G0CQK puts serious amounts of time into managing the reflector and has done lots of work to maintain out look and feel over many updates. I’m hoping this is a simple enough change to bring back a very useful feature.

3 Likes

Thanks Andy glad it’s not just me… My brain’s not the sharpest tool in the box at the moment :-s

1 Like

Interesting… both the MT and user software was updated 2 days back but the MT version still has thread titles working the same way as before.

1 Like

Looks like the way Avatars behave has changed too? They “slide” up the posts now as you scroll back through a thread? Don’t remember them doing that before…

1 Like

Using Firefox on Android it looks like weeks before.

1 Like

What is needed is something added to the theme… I will compare the MT theme with this one and see if I can spot the difference. The same shading effect is missing from the dark theme here. I have also messaged support for their advice.
Jim

3 Likes

Thanks Jim all your work to make the reflector the wonderful resource it is is much appreciated :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This upgrade to the reflector is to discourse 2.8, a major upgrade from 2.7 introduced in May 2021. The upgrade notes will take some time to read and digest.

2 Likes

There do seem to plenty of UI changes that seem to be “because we can” rather than any obvious benefit. There are probably plenty of good changes underneath along with bug fixes. But UI changes for no perceived benefit always irritate.

2 Likes

I don’t see any difference in Chrome on Windows 10.

The page to me is white with black text and no shading at all - it has always been like that to me - perhaps there is some ‘theme’ setting I’ve never used.

1 Like

Strange… that’s what I’m using…

1 Like

Firefox here - I find the change really irritating :unamused:

1 Like

I don’t mind the “sliding Avatars” now I’ve got used to them but not being able to see at a glance what I’ve already read is a major pain.

I thought I’d see if there were more comments whilst out dogging but I was told my copy of Firefox on my phone is too old. That means a buggerage of updates and finding out what doesn’t work with the newer Firefox version.

I expect to see flood of people with iDevice issues as well but none so far.

1 Like

The only change that I can see is the orange last visit line. I wonder if that is because I’m using the dark mode?

I haven’t updated Firefox on Android ( an old version ) to the latest, I’ll play with it on another Android device because the UI became quite “funky”. I installed the latest version of Brave for Android ( based on Chromium ) and the reflector works fine on that and the text changes from dark to light grey on threads I’ve browsed.

1 Like

Just switched to Dark mode and the problem still exists there.

You worry me :rofl:

Still seeing the black / grey distinction on my Chromebook, the orange line is new though…
Sliding avatars noticed as well.

I’ve just noticed the sliding. It only happens when I scroll up the thread, which I haven’t had to do recently. I still don’t see the black/grey distinction.

Anyway, when all is said and done, its just a few trivial gimmicks that don’t affect the use of the reflector.