Change to the way the reflector works?

They affect it’s usability massively Brian. You can no longer see if a thread has new material in it and which you have read in its entirety.

2 Likes

I’ve always worked on the basis that if a thread jumps up near the top of the list then I can assume there’s new material and click on it, then hit the back button to get to the last post that I had read.

1 Like

I’ve still got dark and grey text on my iPhone display (can’t say I take much notice of it - like Brian I assume the recent stuff is at the top).
I haven’t noticed any ‘sliding avatars’. Not sure exact what I’m looking for there?

1 Like

Big screen browsers only I think Andy and not phones.

1 Like

Hi Paul, I also noticed this change from yesterday on both Google Chrome on my iPhone and in Microsoft Edge on my laptop also. I think this change is really annoying and help it goes back to how it was before yesterday.

Jimmy M0HGY

2 Likes

Hi Jimmy,

Yes I was sure it changed sometime early yesterday afternoon with me, thanks for the confirmation. Interesting that you are seeing the same on Edge too.

73, Paul G4MD

2 Likes

You’re right thanks Andy.

1 Like

I took the time-share hound for an 8km walk around the lanes, i.e. I was out dogging :wink:

I think I know where the problem is so I will be making a few changes. The site may behave strangely while I do, but I have to do it on the live site

4 Likes

That change looks like it is working as before for me Jim.

Woohoo seems to be back to it’s old self here too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unless I am missing something, I think that has fixed it. Let me know of any strange behaviour. This area of the reflector is one where I very rarely have to do anything, so it is quite hard getting my brain back in gear. So easy to forget what and how I fixed an issue many months ago.

Essentially the problem was that I had created some temporary CSS to fix an iisue that arose some time ago when a previous Discourse update caused a problem. That was only meant to be temporary until the correct CSS which was still in developmment became available on github. But I forgot to remove it :grimacing: when the correct new code became avaiable.

I do wish they would stop applying cosmetic updates to discourse without providing alternatives. We only find out about these when they happen.

6 Likes

Many thanks for the quick fix Jim you are a hero :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A couple of other changes that arrived with the update.

New features in 2.8.0

Show warning if user won’t be mentioned

Ever mention a user, realize a day or two later they never replied, and then wonder why? Only to realize that user doesn’t have access to the topic or PM? No more! We now show a warning if a mentioned user cannot see the post.

Update emojis to v13

We’ve update our emoji database to include the new emoji included in Emoji 13. So go ahead, put your :anatomical_heart: and :lungs: into it, and enjoy all sorts of new emoji!

:smiling_face_with_tear: :disguised_face: :pinched_fingers: :anatomical_heart: :lungs: :ninja: :man_in_tuxedo: :man_feeding_baby: :person_feeding_baby: :mx_claus: :people_hugging: :black_cat: :bison: :mammoth: :beaver: :polar_bear: :dodo: :feather: :seal: :beetle: :cockroach: :fly: :worm: :potted_plant: :blueberries: :olive: :bell_pepper: :flatbread: :tamale: :fondue: :teapot: :bubble_tea: :rock: :wood: :hut: :pickup_truck: :roller_skate: :magic_wand: :piñata: :nesting_dolls: :sewing_needle: :knot: :thong_sandal: :military_helmet: :accordion: :long_drum: :coin: :boomerang: :carpentry_saw: :screwdriver: :hook: :ladder: :mirror: :window: :plunger:

The first of these should be a rare occurrence on our reflector but the new emoji’s may be of interest

1 Like

Speaking for the North American contingent, so glad to see the new emoji for the American Bison (Bison bison) :bison: included.

Now I have to find when to use it. The whole thing’s got me buffaloed…

4 Likes

How many laps around a layby just off the A71 is that?

Thanks Jim.
It was only when the feature disappeared that I realised how much I relied upon it for quick Reflector checking

1 Like

I’ll second that thanks again for the quick fix Jim :blush:

1 Like

and…

…at least i only have to press the tab key once to go from the callsign to the password when logging in

before i always had to press it 2 times

:sweat_smile:

73 Armin

1 Like

This issue seems to have fixed on Microsoft Edge on my laptop, but when I was on the Reflector earlier today using Google Chrome on my iPhone, this issue hadn’t fixed itself. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue when using Google Chrome?

Jimmy M0HGY