CEPT prefixes

In reply to M1MAJ:
The foreigners in Republic of Macedonia use Z38 prefix.
Vlado, Z35M

In reply to All:

One problem is that T/R 61-01 says one thing and the local regulators make up additional rules/regulations. If the local regulator wants Z38/call for example, then T/T 61-01 should agree. If not using Z38/call is a problem then the regulator needs to get T/R 61-01 updated. But amateur radio is very a low priority subject so we have to suffer regulations that have contradictions or disagree as one is out of date.

Solution: use whichever prefix causes the fewest complaints that you have it wrong!

Andy
M0FMF/p

For your information

Finnish Amateur Radio League SRAL → Operating in Finland

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to OH7BF:
Each ARM Manual should have a paragraph highlighting the most important rules / regulations which any visiting operator ought to be aware of before setting out to activate SOTA summits covered by that ARM Manual.
73 de Ken

In reply to M1MAJ:

In reply to DL4CW:

SV5 = Dodecanese (as distinct from Greece by DXCC rules) so using
SV5/
is mandatory for operations from that entity

Can you cite a regulation that mandates it? I don’t see any mention
in my licence or the CEPT regulations of DXCC rules. They are an
invention of the ARRL.

you’re right, I can’t as for licensing or CEPT issues, so I think I shouldn’t have written “mandatory” - but in fact I don’t know anyone who would sign any other than SV5/… while operating from that entity or SV9/… from Crete for instance.

73 Bernhard DL4CW

In reply to GM0AXY:

Hi Ken,

Right. The ARMs have information on the access conditions, but the radio amateur regulations (call signs, bands and power limits) are not really mentioned there. Perhaps an international activator guide could fill the gap? Or should that be in each of the ARMs?

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

I asked the Britisc OFCOM if I could operate 70MHz in UK. Please read the respons witch state what prefix to use in UK.
Answer
“”

Hello Kjell,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes, we are able to confirm that you may operate on the 70MHz (4m) Band while visiting the UK.

You are, as you have stated, able to do so under the terms and conditions of the CEPT T/R 61-01 agreement. This agreement allows an appropriately licensed Radio Amateur holding a CEPT Class 1 licence, which you do, to operate under the terms and conditions of the country being visited. A copy of the UK licence terms and conditions may be found at:
http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/spectrum/amateur-radio/guidance-for-licensees/samplelicence07.pdf
Please refer to Table C on page 20 of 23 for the parameters of the 70MHz band. We understand from your email that you are aware of the Band Plan for the UK which is not stated within the licence document but can be viewed elsewhere.

When operating in England please use the call M/LA1KHA and when in Wales use MW/LA1KHA.

I hope this is some assistance and that you have a successful visit to the UK and enjoy operating on 70MHz

Kind Regards

Rod Wilkinson
Senior Associate, Amateur Radio.

I follow this in UK
M/ in England
MM in Scotland
MW in Wales

IN SM we Norwegan are isntructed to use only SM/LA… or SM/LB…
I belive this is so for all

73 to all LA1KHA Kjell

Without have the time to read all the above (i am really sorry):

Above the CEPT rules we ought to follow our national legislation (ok i know the national legislation should follow the CEPT rules for sure :slight_smile: ).

Greece has 4 DXCC “countries” SV1, SV5, SV9 and mountain Athos.

And, 9 different prefix Regions SV1 thru SV9.

Till 8 September 2011 the only “official” order we had is to use the suffix: /region, like SV1COX/3/P when a SV1 station was in SV3 region for example.

On 8 September 2011 the new law 1969B’/2-9-2011 become active and say that when a station operate from its alternative (/A) location in a different Region he should prefix its callsign with the region designator, like SV3/SV1COX (if my alternative location is in Region SV3).

Hope it’s clear at least for SV station now.

73, Panos, SV1COX

P.S. the law itself say nothing similar if you work portable (/P) from a different Region (me a SV1COX/P in SV3 Region for example) but please except some time to be adapted by the community here.

In reply to MM0FMF:

The whole subject comes complete with several cans of worms!

Indeed. Here is another one.

The latest (and current) T/R 61-01 document no longer requires the use of the /P suffix when operating under CEPT rules. It merely states that you should use the appropriate country prefix, followed by / , followed by your home callsign.
[Appendix 1, para 2.3 refers.]

Therefore Rod Wilkinson was absolutely correct when he advised Kjell: “When operating in England please use the call M/LA1KHA and when in Wales use MW/LA1KHA.” It is self-evident that he is portable because he is operating away from home.

When I recently operated from Crete, I used the callsign SV9/G3NYY. No /P. The CEPT regulations do not require it.

Walt (G3NYY)

The use of /M, /P and /A has been optional for some time now. However, it is encouraging to note that the majority of radio amateurs continue to use the appropriate one to best describe their working conditions to others.

Tom M1EYP

So in Kjell’s situation, he could still use /P if he wanted - because it is entirely optional. I guess that from holiday accommodation in England he could be M/LA1KHA, while on a SOTA summit, he could be M/LA1KHA/P.

I could use M1EYP, M1EYP/M or M1EYP/P for a SOTA activation with a handheld. But there is just something about /P that is synonymous with SOTA activations, and seems “right”.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom,

the same in HB and HB0.
You dont have to use /M, /MM, /P, /AM.
But of course you could use them.

In Lichtenstein you have to use HB0 or HB0Y (novice)
in front of your call (HB0/HB9CSA or HB0Y/HB3YXZ).

My guest-license for England in 1984/1985
was written for G0/HB9CSA :wink:

Have a nice weekend!
Fritz

In reply to M1EYP:

But there is just something about /P that is synonymous
with SOTA activations, and seems “right”.

Sure… i think in an extend we will all feel a bit sad if they drop it Tom.

In reply to M1EYP:

So in Kjell’s situation, he could still use /P if he wanted - because
it is entirely optional.

Not if we follow M1MAJ’s advice, i.e. that the T/R 61-01 rules are the ones that take precedence. Because in the CEPT document, there is no mention of /P, /A or /M … optional or otherwise.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to thread:

I just had a brilliant idea - I referred to the Greek ARM, and it sets out the official situation that we have been discussing. So does the Italian ARM…

When in doubt, read the manual!

Brian G8ADD

PS Before anybody mentions it, the Greek ARM needs a little updating though I think this only affects Greek nationals.

One is that in France to operate CW on HF you must have a CW test pass.

Actually, I am not sure that you have this right Andy. When I checked this out at the time, the demand had been recently scaled back from requiring a test pass, to merely being proficient at whatever (can’t remember) speed.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G3NYY:

Not if we follow M1MAJ’s advice, i.e. that the T/R 61-01 rules are the
ones that take precedence.

I believe that national rules trump T/R 61-01, provided that they are ACTUAL rules and not merely the product of imagination or a folk memory of out-of-date rules.

In reply to G8ADD:

I just had a brilliant idea - I referred to the Greek ARM, and it sets
out the official situation that we have been discussing. So does the
Italian ARM…

This is excellent, yes, and I hadn’t seen it. It would be even better if the source documents were fully cited (ideally with a URL). Without citations it’s just somebody’s interpretation, which may or may not be right.

In reply to M1MAJ:

I agree, although a citation doesn’t in itself guarantee that the information presented is correct, it just gives you somewhere to go to check the data for yourself. However, I think it is a good idea.

Brian G8ADD

Don’t forget that the only truely authorative document may well be in a foreign language; even if it is on the Web; and please do not rely on a Google or similar, translation. I have come across the most hilarious results from such online tools, some of which has no relationship what-so-ever with the original document in the source language.
By all means quote the original document wherever possible, but also provide a translation… my greek is nonexistant but I can handle most of the northern European languages with a fair degree of fluency…
By all means quote the original, but if you are fluent in the language used in the original document, do provide your best possible translation.
73 de Ken