Carrying an IC-705

Just saw a video over on OH8STN’s youtube channel. There is a guy making an aluminum “cage” for the 705. Looks rather nice/neat, but it a hefty price tag of U.S. $140.00! Actually, I think the video is from the K6UDA youtube channel…

Todd KH2TJ

1 Like

Hola Guru,
Ok, but advice me, it is very bad for your health to drink wine without friends.
Un abrazo

2 Likes

Don’t worry about that, José. Rest assured that I enjoyed all those red wine bottles in very good company and always marrying with delicious meals.
I’d be delighted to open and empty some of those in your company after a good joint SOTA activation.

Guru

5 Likes

Very nice setup for sure. i am also trying to come up with best plan for my situation, right now using a small lined lunch bag, during these cold winter months while operating I can still put a hand warmer inside and helps keep the radio and battery warm during the colder to the field operations.73 Fred VE3FAL

1 Like

I am on my second bubble postage bag modified to fit my KX3 the first one came from Elecraft with the radio in it in 2012. Done 322 summits using this method, the other thing I do is pack the rig alongside my rolled up wind jacket against the front side of the rig for extra padding in my back pack. Then my batteries go the other side of the wind jacket and accessory bag sits on top. All other stuff needed goes in other compartments in my bag. The bubble postage bag plus my accessory bag becomes the resting mats under my rig when set up in the field then they cant blow away in the wind and provide a nice resting spot for my rig.
Regards
Ian vk5cz …

2 Likes

Lowe Pro CS80 works well with the 705. I carry it within my backpack and I feel it offers sufficient protection for SOTA type hiking. It is not waterproof so I put it in a dry bag total cost minus backpack ~$60 US.

IC705 inside with room for Mic, cables, Bioenno 3.0a battery and LNR 40/20/10 Trail-friendly snug and protected.i put it in the main compartment of the backpack with my extra clothes surrounding it for extra shock protection. I think with a bolt/nut and large washer(s) centered and protruding through the top will make a nice base to connect the radio to while operating on less than even surfaces.

3 Likes

Have you seen this?

I had one printed myself. I figure with that I can throw the 705 in a regular backpack—perhaps in a waterproof ziplock bag or something.

Tom, N2YTF

5 Likes

This is a belated update. :slight_smile: I bought one of the VR cases M5OTA linked to above. It is exactly the right size for the radio. For added protection I used some closed cell foam I had.

This is what I see when I open the lid of the case.

The foam is stuck to some black foam board for added protection and has cut-outs to go around the control knobs. It isn’t very neat because I didn’t have quite enough foam, which had already been used for something else in any case which is why there is a hole in it which isn’t needed here. :slight_smile:

The microphone sits in another bit of foam.

Which tucks above the radio.

My radio has the desk stand attached, which I think is a relatively new accessory. Without it a bit more foam might be needed to fill this gap.

In the longer term I will probably get the matching AH-705 ATU so I can try an EFHW but it seems to be out of stock everywhere at the moment in the UK so there is no rush, but I will probably need a bigger case when I do or put the ATU in a separate case.

Just to be able to go out would be nice but I suspect we may not be far off being allowed on the hills. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi John

Well done on getting your kit together. Just be aware that loose bits of foam fly well on a windy summit. Have you considered a linked dipole for those first HF activations…no need for an atu and efficient. It’ll get you on the air quickly if you don’t get an atu in the near future. Have fun.

Looking forward to working you S2S.

Allan GW4VPX

1 Like

Yes, thank you, I do intend to add some bits of cord but I forgot to mention this. :slight_smile:
I do have a SotaBeams tri-bander which works well in the garden, which is the only places I’ve been able to use it so far. I’m sure it will be fine and may be all I need. Just need to get out there now and start disturbing the airwaves. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, use the Sotabeams antenna to get a few activations under your belt. Can’t wait to get out and my first GW/SW summits already earmarked for activation when we are allowed.

73 Stay safe

3 Likes

It’s a little on the large side at 30cm square but should fit the radio, and sotabeam bandhopper antenna. It’s the Einhell S35 E-Box. With the lid closed, the foam holds the ic-705 firmly so it does not move around.

3 Likes

Allan,
Agreed about the wind. I once parked my vehicle tail into the wind and when I lifted the hatch everything under half a kilogram was scavenged out. Most of it was dumped into nearby bushes as the gust eased but one green plastic bag defied my mad gallop after it and dissappeared over the edge of steep terrain. I recovered everything else after a series of line searches, making sure each item was secure when returned to the vehicle. Half an hour of operating lost.

Ron
VK3AFW

3 Likes

Tom that is cool. First I’ve seen it. I ordered the Peovi Cage/Handle and I have to say, The cage with the 705 is a functional work of art! Now I’m afraid to use my 705 outdoors :joy: It is now relegated to home base status until the weather improves.

Erik

1 Like

It is now relegated to home base status until the weather improves.

Why that? The IC705 doesn’t require ‘good weather’. :wink:

Ahoi
Pom

6 Likes

If you want that winter bonus you need to get out in the weather. If it really gets bad for me I just close the lid and use the speaker mike.

Yes boys and girls it does snow in Arizona.

Burke
KF7NP

3 Likes

Back in the early 1980s on only my second business trip to the USA (both to Phoenix, Arizona) I had the weekend off and I drove up to the Grand Canyon. It was winter so snow everywhere at the top of the canyon. As I descended I went below the snow line and two-thirds of the way down [where I turned back] it was like summer. Very weird - like a walking a mountain but starting at the summit.

3 Likes

reminds me to my 30th birthday. Perfect plan: I was going to rent a motorbike and ride a section of the old route 66. Spent my holidays in the US with a buddy around that time, and came to Flagstaff from the Grand Canyon a couple of days before. Checked everything with the local bike shop already. The day before my birthday, there were 10cm of snow on the car. Change of plan: old route 66 by car then… Geography lesson learnt: My favourite ski resorts in Europe are around that altitude :slight_smile:

73 Jens HB9EKO (back then: DL9SBM)

3 Likes

Ok looks like I’ll have to eat my words! It’s good to see a 705 in the wild!

I guess what I meant to say, my 705 is mint condition without blemish. When I am looking at which transceiver to take on a activation, which one I don’t mind getting dusty, rain sprinkled on (before I can cover it) its hard to pass on the FT818.

Today was a tough one in the San Francisco Bay Area!

Almost had to put put a long sleeve shirt on…Almost!

Erik

1 Like

Hi Jens

If you had taken your ride west on old Route 66 towards Williams it would have only been about a 1.5 mile hike to Spitz Hill W7A/CS-032 where that picture of the snow was taken. The elevation is 7710 feet at the summit. It was an expensive activation because I did not park far enough off Route 66 and received a $180 parking ticket for violation of the winter parking restrictions.

Eric

Every trip out with my 705 exposes it to the element here in Arizona. Most trips to the desert require a good blast of canned air to remove the large accumulation of dirt and dust from the radio, particularly the screen. This is followed up by a micro fiber cloth to finish cleaning the screen. It looks like new afterwards. The box does help protect it from the sharp rocks found on our desert summits,

73, Burke KF7NP

2 Likes