camping while activating

Thanks for that, done plenty in my van but its easier just pull up in layby etc .

Yes just be out of the way really in national woods , brush and moreland as you say . What is your advice about parking with a car if going to leave it ?

Matt 2E0FGX

Many years ago parked up near Black Hill while walking and staying in a Youth Hostel. Got home to discover the Police had called about an abandoned car which they assumed had been stolen. It is difficult finding a good place to park, too quiet and it is very vulnerable, too busy and too far to walk to camp.
If High Camping in England unless you are well away from civilisation set up late and leave early taking everything with you. Gamekeepers are sometimes out late and they don’t always see the funny side. I have high camped in The Lakes, Snowdonia and Scotland, Scotland is the easiest as the law is more generous and there is rather more wild land! I live in the North Pennines but probably would not high camp here unless doing a summit activation. 73 Paul G4IPB

I am the world’s worrier when it comes to leaving the car on a road for more than one night. I always try to leave it in a village, even if it makes it a slightly longer walk in - or sometimes i’ve asked a farmer where I could park. i’ve yet to be refused and they’ll often suggest a corner of their farm or stack yard. .! Out in the sticks I’ve never had an issue, but I’ve never left a car for more than one or perhaps two nights in an isolated position. I’m such a worrier, I have on occasion removed the ignition coil/caps!! And of course make sure there’s nowt on view.

Game keepers can also be your friend. Ask one where you can spend a quiet night on the hill and once they realise you are not up to trouble they’ll give you good advice. And of course if you ask, they’ll also tell you the best place to park!

This is very true. Asking people nicely (and with a smile if in person) normally does get results. On many occasions I’ve asked for permission (by phone, by email, in person) for permission to park, permission to drive up private roads/tracks etc. and all but once I have been granted what I wanted. Once I wanted to park at an abandoned farmhouse on a huge estate, the estate manager I spoke to was so pleased and surprised someone was asking if it was OK rather than just trespassing that he said if I ever wanted access to drive on their roads or parking permission on their estate all I needed to do was ring up and tell them where, when and the vehicle registration and it would be fine.

So it’s well worth asking first.

5 Likes

Morning Matt,

Since a young lad in the Cubs & Scouts up to the present I have camped in all sorts of locations and countries - requiring different camping styles. Checkout my QRZ.com page - HERE . to give you an idea of some of my remote SOTA escapades.

And indeed, Scotland at this time of the year is ideal. Especially last week when I was off on a two-nighter Activating GM/SS-160, 202, 237, 270 & 278 (all lightweight 40M CW & 2M FM) cracking Wx. Down off the hill and having cooked & eaten my evening meal, sitting last Friday in Glen Euchar (NGR NM89600 19000), sipping a nice malt, reading an enthralling novel, not a sound or even a zephyr and nae midges - bliss!

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Jack(:>J

1 Like

A “rule of thumb” is to pitch your tent at dusk, and unpitch at dawn if wild camping. That makes it highly unlikely you could inconvenience any other person, or even anyone knowing you were ever there.

Note that it is not legal either to sleep overnight in a lay-by. But it is permissible to take a nap. Where the legal boundary is between these, if indeed one exists at all, I have no idea. But by writing about your plans to do so online, it does look like a planned overnight stay, rather than taking a necessary mid-journey nap!

1 Like

When I did my ML training the advice seemed to be that although it is not strictly legal, farmers will generally turn a blind eye to wild camping provided it is above the intake. I have done a lot of wild camping in England and I have never had any trouble; just make sure wild really is wild. I would avoid camping next to my car or close to the road, if for no other reason than to avoid a volley of empty beer cans during the night.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

1 Like

Yes that is true , seen the signs about tirdness can kill take a nap etc .

I can fit in my car boot with seats folded down … only issue is when seats folded down i have a 4" drop into the boot . My car does have privicy glass in the back also . I am not too comfortable leaving car in a car park or a lane for more than a day . You never know may get towed away !

Matt 2E0FGX

That’s easy.Just leave one of these on display and nobody will go near your car. A few empty propane cylinders adds to the deterrent effect.

timebomb

3 Likes

Try it on Upper Park sometime, you might get lucky.

1 Like

Nope Upper Park is my “bête noire” of success. :cry:

1 Like

Wild camping and questionable locations, I’d recommend a camo tent and outerwear. When you need to stay invisible you can’t take unnecessary risks.

Except the Army bomb disposal team - whole probably blow it up anyway. :smiley:

2 Likes

What’s wild camping?

Is it different to camping

It’s when you find a bear in your tent.

6 Likes

Wild camping is a modern term for camping out in the wilds and away from a campsite where there are toilets and shower blocks and electricity. Self-sufficiency and leaving no trace you were there are all hallmarks of wild camping.

3 Likes

Av had a few monsters , in my tent, but never a bear😂

Oh, bear! I thought he said beer - a wild camping essential!

1 Like

Unfortunately, day trippers do not subscribe to a similar ‘leave no trace’ philosophy:

The picture was taken while in Tenerife this year; just one pile among many on Cruz de Gala EA8/TF-007. For some reason, people believe a ban on wild camping is necessary to prevent this from happening. If only that were true.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt